MD20 Ammo Table Guide - PDF attached!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided to put a list together of all the ammo that is the correct length/crimp needed for the MD20. Please Do Not rely on this table just yet until others can confirm what I've put together. Pleas

I've updated the table with a few additions. I'm going to include the date of the update in the file name starting with this one. Anyone have more updates to add? MD20 Ammo Table 112409 Update.pdf

Link: New Shared Universal Drum Compatibility Spreadsheet       Here's the deal. I've made a shared spreadsheet out of the previous two .pdf documents. I haven't taken the time to incorporate al

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to put a list together of all the ammo that is the correct length/crimp needed for the MD20. Please Do Not rely on this table just yet until others can confirm what I've put together. Please also post any brands/rounds not listed and I'll update the table as we go. If such a list alredy exists then the mods can delete but please send me the link.

This table is specifically related to the length/crimp needed and NOT whether a rounds cycles in your S12. I'm going to assume the addition of the Gunfixr Plug will eliminate that. I had to attach this as a PDF file because I wasn't able to keep the columns/formatting the same when I tried to copy and paste it.

Let's all share and make this a good resource for us all!

This list is incomplete. There are so many brands/types/loads that are missing!

What about Nobel Sport 2.75" #4?

FTS

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nobelsport single .650 roundball clear hull roll crimped 1400 FPS 2 3/4" fits.

B&P 1oz rifled slugs 1200 FPS 2 3/4" just fits. (good luck getting this sweet shooting slug to cycle though)

F127RSX Federal Power*Shok maximum rifled slug HP 1610 FPS 2 3/4" fits.

Sadly the following do not fit:

Dupleks Hexolit32 1/18 oz segmented steel/poly slug. (and coolest civilian legal 12 gauge ammo ever)

nor does

Dupleks Dupo28 segmented steel/poly slug. (same as above but tuned for less violent expansion in big game.)

Anyone want to use google docs to start a shared spreadsheet that we can all add too?

Edited by GunFun

>>Anyone want to use google docs to start a shared spreadsheet that we can all add too?

Great idea, except make sure you keep lots of backups (that you'll need to restore every day).

You'll have the Beavis & Butthead types who will destroy the file just because they think it's funny.

Does Google docs have a read only mode for sharing?

If so, set it to read only for shared mode and just have a small group of people who can change it and update it.

• 1 month later...

>>Anyone want to use google docs to start a shared spreadsheet that we can all add too?

Great idea, except make sure you keep lots of backups (that you'll need to restore every day).

You'll have the Beavis & Butthead types who will destroy the file just because they think it's funny.

If so, set it to read only for shared mode and just have a small group of people who can change it and update it.

yep. it's called google drive now though. I was just looking into this a couple days ago for just this reason.

yep. it's called google drive now though. I was just looking into this a couple days ago for just this reason.

Keep us updated. This thread just saved me again from a $150 mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Humm Sellier Bellot 2 3/4 fits 5 rnd factory mag and Pro-Mag 20 rnd drum - and cycles fine.

I wanted to warn - DO NOT try Duplek Monolit slugs - the 2 3/4" shells are really 2 7/8"! - They will work in 5 rnd factory mag, but jam the Pro-mag 20 rnd drum. In the 5 rnd mag, it cycles fine, muzzle flash noted. (steel slugs suck compared to lead slugs anyways.)

I shoot Winchester 00 and slugs, Federals, some high power bird shot. Some low brass, low recoil bird shot will fail to cycle. Gas port checked and fine.

DNR

Link:

New Shared Universal Drum Compatibility Spreadsheet

Here's the deal. I've made a shared spreadsheet out of the previous two .pdf documents. I haven't taken the time to incorporate all the data from the rest of the thread. Anyone can access and ediit this spreadsheet. I will make periodic backups. The spreadsheet is on honor system. If you use the spreadsheet, consider that a commitment to add to or correct data about at least one item you have tried.

I particularly want the item number filled in, so we can know which shell you are talking about.

Example of useless information: "S&B OO buck didn't work" Useful information would need Item # , pellet count, and overall length.

That is actually un-helpful, because S&B makes many different OOB loads. Some will fit and some won't. We are trying to work out which is which. The item number matters because if you are buying in bulk online, it would be nice to know that we are looking at the S&B 9 Pellet OOB that fits rather than the S&B 9 Pellet OOB that doesn't fit.

See Row 6 for what a good entry should look like.

Also, if you have any of the promag drums, please fill in the max overall length numbers for those.

Shell length is to be measured from the primer to the furthest forward part of the crimp.

This table is talking about what fits and feeds through the drum.

If you have any of the ammo in the table, please fill in the item numbers and overall length info.

If you have any extra information about a particular load, right click on the name of the load after you enter it, and put that info into a comment. Example: I have a note on a B&P rifled slug that they feed through MD20 fine, but will not cycle almost any Saiga 12 due to low pressure.

I would really like to see oddball and specialty ammo/ foreign fancy stuff get filled in.

Thanks guys- I hope this will become a really developed resource.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 4

It has been a long time since I shot the original PDX ammo, but I could have sworn I was shooting it from one of my MD-20s. Maybe I can take Dick Hammett (retired president of Winchester) shooting again soon and talk him into bringing an assortment of Winchester ammo. I am about to finish his pool soon.

• Like 1

spread sheet worked for me -

FIXED

I input :

MD20 accepts 2.25" shells, This is the length of a US made 12 gauge shell (Winchester, Remington) UNFIRED.

Duplek 28 marked 2 3/4" is already 2 1/2ths of a inch UNFIRED. Treat like a 3" shell.

I input:

duplex 32 as I measured 2 7/8" on 4 boxes. This was UNFIRED LENGTH - should be 2.25th of a inch UNFIRED to work in MD20/ProMag 20.

It is b.s. to claim that 2 7/8" is a european measure for 2 3/4" - they print on the box 2 3/4". That is sloppy tolerances.

to note the UNFIRED 2 1/2" shells will feed via factory 5 rnd mag, and cycle ok.

Edited by DNR

Are the duplex roll crimped? It is my understanding that is usually the issue with being long on 2 3/4" shells. The roll crimp makes more length compared to a star crimp. The 2 3/4" designation is of a fired hull overall length. The loaded shell should not be 2 3/4" long... Thanks for adding your info! Thanks especially to the OP and to GunFun for taking this to the next level!

I'm glad people are interested. It would be nice if a Moderator would maybe put a link in the top post. I've got some misgivings about having the link separated from the instructions though. A few careless people with good intentions could ruin the list my mixing in untrustworthy information. If that happens, I'll have to revert to a saved copy. I'll look into whether google has the equivalent of "change tracking." (which lets you see who changed what, and accept or reverse changes by user.)

DNR--

You need to understand that putting 2 3/4" on the package is not saying that the shell as loaded measures 2.75". What that is saying is that the maximum shell length after firing and unfolding (or unrolling) the crimp is 2 3/4" or less, and the pressures conform to SAAMI max limits.

Every brand varies greatly, and all 2 3/4" ammo when it is crimped is going to measure less than 2.75" Ditto for 3" ammo.

That planned variation is the whole reason this table exists.

Forgive me if this sounds insulting, but did you actually measure the 2 7/8" shell or just observe that it looked about an eighth longer than another 2 3/4" shell that fit in the drum?

Nephilim -- DDupleks ammo is roll crimped onto the large Meplat of the steel slug with out a spacer or lid. The measurements I put in there were done with a digital caliper.

The golden rule for this is

accurate information or none at all.

When we put overall length into this table, let's be precise, not rounding to gross numbers. I'd prefer to stick to metric just for simplicity. That way, someone can filter the list to show all shells above or below the length that will fit in their magazine. (I figure this might also help Adkal guys know what will work with their 2 3/4" mags) Measure the shell using calipers, or by standing it on a flat surface and sliding a square down until it rests. That will give us good numbers.

The two most useful things in the whole chart are the item # and the overall length. If you have those things, you can look up all the other info and know whether what you are buying will work or not.

There is still one huge gap in the information here that is immensely practical-- I am sure all of us have had a situation where we needed to use 30-40 door breacher shells in one breif event, but we just weren't sure which ones to buy. I know that happens to me about once a week, It's about time this forum came through with some information that everyone can use.

Come on folks, let's figure out which breacher rounds are MD freindly.

Oh, and more info on a few of the cheap game loads that people blow on the range could be helpful too. I guess.

Companies like RIO and centurian offer lots of fairly similar loads with similar descriptions and slightly different components that are cheap to blast at the range. There is surprisingly little about them in here. I don't see blowing through 20 Rem Sluggers in one go at the range, but I've got some nobelsport roundball that cost about the same as bulk pack. That I don't mind putting into a drum and seeing how quickly I can shatter 20 clays on a hillside with.

Edited by GunFun

I'm glad people are interested. It would be nice if a Moderator would maybe put a link in the top post. I've got some misgivings about having the link separated from the instructions though.

PM Indie, he is the one that pinned this topic for us. Or since you have all the info compiled, we could get him to unpin this one and you could start a new thread. The mods here have much to keep up with and probably won't see the added posts here. Make sure you are religious about backing that thing up periodically too. Oh, there is one more thing that needs to be said. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

This 00 buck from Estate runs smooth and I trust it for my main drum load out:

http://www.cabelas.c...80;cat104567580

EDITED TO ADD THAT IT RUNS SMOOTH IN MY 3 PROMAG 12 ROUNDS DRUMS.

Edited by Vermiform

That's a thought. I could write up the instructions better, with a couple of pics of information on the box lid, how to measure, etc. Get everything needed put into one post.

Then we could just lock it down with only the one useful post and all the updates in the table.

There are about 3 pages of data in this thread that need to be input into the table.

FYI guys, to add a row, click the marker on the left edge of that row, right click, then select [insert column].

You can copy a whole row by highlighting the column underneath and hitting [ctrl +d]

Make sure you only do this on blank rows.

If you make a mistake, do not save. Just Stop what you are doing and PM me with what happened and I will try to fix it.

Does anyone have dimensions for max shell length on the Maxrounds or AA drums? I forgot about those. Not looking to drag up a discussion of the flaws in those here, I just want to clean up the header to show max length for each of the drums to help the most people.

I'd even be OK with putting a comment on the daewoo AR shotty drum's capacity and the AA12, etc. There will be room for Cameron's silly drum if he ever gets it out of CAD into existence. There would be room for his snail drum in my closet if he made it.

Google lets me open it up to everyone, or have change tracking. not both. I'll try to back up from time to time, but I expect to forget. By all means download the chart so that you back up a current version on you hard drive before you do a bunch of changes. Also PM me if you put in a bunch of data and I will download the document so that I have a backup with your work.

I will trust people not to make too much of a mess. Alternately, I can set it to locked down but add editors one at a time. I'll do that if we have a problem, but that is a last resort. Probably that will only be needed in the case of vandals.

If in doubt, leave it out.

I measured - want a photo of it?

295714_10151503808548154_886483198_n.jpg

Here is the Duplek unfired measuring 2 1/2th..When I held a Dupleks up to a US made round , it was actually a quarter inch difference - very noticeable - so I measured with a ruler.

Really unfired 12 gauge shells are about 2 and quarter inches, when fired, the crimp rolls out to make 2 3/4ths total length of the shell.Winchester slugs measured 2 and quarter inches before firing, same as Remington shell - 2 and quarter inches with little variations - 1/32, 1/16th.

The Dupleks Monolit 28 UNFIRED is already 2 1/2ths long - WITH those quality control issues of being 1/8th or 1/16th longer than 2 1/2" .The duplek shell marked "2 3/4" is not 2 and quarter inches UNFIRED like Winchester and Remington.

The Pro-Mag expected that you will be putting UNFIRED shells into your drum rated '2 3/4th inch shells' - that were supposed to at unfired length of about 2 and quarter inches - NOT fired shells that measure 2 1/2ths with the crimp rolled out (more or less)

I also measured the ProMag Drum - the black round follower was taken out and measured - it was about 2 and a quarter inches - about the same size as a US made 12 gauge shell. The follower has about .5th of an inch of play. The actual opening inside the drum is almost 2 and 3/4ths of an inch. I did not use a micrometer or lab grade ruler - so give or take 1/32 of an inch. The Drum allows for out of spec ammunition - as long as it is between 2 and quarter inches and 2 1/2ths of an inch.So ProMag drums for 2 3/4 were meant to feed unfired shells that measure about 2 and a quarter.

If you want to use Dupleks 28 "2 3/4" - treat it like a 3" round - don't feed it in mags that say "2 3/4" shells.

I try to explain my POV, but it will always be subjective - "oh but it worked for me!"

Edited by DNR