He did say 10 round ak mags. I think that 10 rounders are sporting. You can always e mail the ATF.

No, you don't understand.

It doesn't matter what is actually "used" in the gun, it's the condition of being capable of using "non sporting" magazines.

When you grind up the mag latch and add a bullet guide, you are making it capable of using non-sporting magazines (whether you actually use them or not).

Why do you think there is no bullet guide from the factory and the mag latch is the wrong size for milsurp magazines (not to mention the interdiction tab on some models)?

He did say 10 round ak mags. I think that 10 rounders are sporting. You can always e mail the ATF.

No, you don't understand.

It doesn't matter what is actually "used" in the gun, it's the condition of being capable of using "non sporting" magazines.

When you grind up the mag latch and add a bullet guide, you are making it capable of using non-sporting magazines (whether you actually use them or not).

Why do you think there is no bullet guide from the factory and the mag latch is the wrong size for milsurp magazines (not to mention the interdiction tab on some models)?

That is what I thought, but I wanted confirmation from the Saiga experts. Thanks fellas.

Is there a way to use 4 US made parts without doing a full conversion? I am in California and want to keep detachable mags.

Tapco Hammer, Surefire handguard, Tapco Fusion Stock, and Tapco gas piston... Thats 4 parts, all US made.

The Tapco stock defeats the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish. If I add a pistol grip then I cannot have detachable mags in California. Is there one more part I can change? I need to leave the rifle in stock configuration. I need 4 parts that will make me 922r compliant, but won't make my rifle an "assault weapon" under California law.

Okay, apparently I am not making myself clear. I live in California so I do not want to do a conversion. Doing so will require that I install a mag locking device. I do not want to lose the detachable magazine. I am interested in making the rifle accept AK mags. If I do this i need to comply with 922r. I need 4 US made parts that do not require conversion and do not violate California law. No pistol grip. No collapsible stock. No "evil features."

A US made wooden factory style stock (1) and handguard (2)would be great, but who makes them. And are they expensive.

Gas piston (3), but what is the fourth part?

A Tapco G2 'HAMMER'-only would be #4. But the G2 FCG kit (like $30) and just use the HAMMER only. Its a direct swap with the factory one.

You can use Surefire mags (US made and count as 3 parts) or Thermold mags (like $15 each)

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I am a total newb and still have much to learn.

• 1 month later...

Another ? about 922.

The new 5.45 rifles do not have a bullet guide, however they WILL accept "non sporting" (over ten round original magazines). What makes them compliant as imported??. And if you added a bullet guide since the rifles already will accept high caps would there be any triggering of 922r ???

Another ? about 922.

The new 5.45 rifles do not have a bullet guide, however they WILL accept "non sporting" (over ten round original magazines). What makes them compliant as imported??. And if you added a bullet guide since the rifles already will accept high caps would there be any triggering of 922r ???

What keeps you from getting in your car and driving 70mph in a school zone?

It's called "personal responsibility".

Yes. Inserting a "non sporting" magazine into a factory Saiga will make you a 922r felon.

Another ? about 922.

Yes. Inserting a "non sporting" magazine into a factory Saiga will make you a 922r felon.

Was it not necessary for me to have inserted the bullet guide in my 5.45 (from a practical standpoint, not a legal one)? I didn't try a larger magazine before I did the conversion.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 2 weeks later...

Another ? about 922.

My first question was not regarding a "user" violating 922r, But, as I said what makes them compliant as imported? The second question followed the first regarding a "user" installing a bullet guide.

Driving 760 in a school zone is not really a similar situation. There is no law to dictate that a car MAY NOT BE CAPABLE of traveling over the speed limit.

922r says that to be imported the rifles must not be capable of accepting a mag over ten rounds.

As imported the 5.45 rifles clearly do have the ability to accept over ten round mags and adding a bullet guide does not alter their ability to accept the magazine.

So far no one has answered the first question???

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...