New Here ??? on 308 Saiga

Hi. Decided to check out the Saiga 308. I would like one with the wood furniture, but am only finding that the 22" model comes with wood furniture. Is this correct? Apparently the 16"carbine comes with Synthetic furniture only??? I just think the wood looks so much better in my opinion. A 16" carbine in 308 with wood would be ideal, but I dont' think they come that way. At least, I haven't found one anywhere yet. Anyone got any suggestions or references on this? Thanx, Dos

The 22" have the wood furniture. Check ebay and other sites for takeoff sets. Good luck.

Or... Buy a 22" and cut the barrel.

Or... And this is absolutely the best choice. Buy one of each- 16" and 22"- and swap the furniture. Then you will have two unique (sort of) rifles. Two is always better than one.

Hadn't thought about a take off stock for the 16 incher. Good Idea. Will it fit without any modifications? My dealer has the synthetic stocked 16 inchers in stock for $289.

Would there be any advantage to a 22 inch barrel other than bullet velocity gain? Is it any more accurate or is it just a little heavy to handle. I haven't had a chance to handle the 22 inch model.

I have the 22". I prefer longer barrels for hunting, because under fast shooting field conditions, short barrels' short sighting radius tends to be really inaccurate. Some say the 16" is more accurate at the range, off sandbags, because the barrel is stiffer. Like a 1/2" difference in the group size at 100 yds. Not much difference to the deer.

Accuracy with a scope will probably be so small as that you will not be able to notice it...

unless you BUY TWO GUNS and shoot them SIDE BY SIDE WITH IDENTICAL Mounts and SCOPES....

Even then... you would be hard pressed to tell the difference!

spend the few extra bucks, get the 22" with the wood, because THATS THE ONE YOU LIKE... and you will not be dissapointed either way!

:smoke:

When I bought mine, I had two choices: 22" wood, or 22" synthetic. I went with the wood; I like the longer barrel anyway. I've always been of the mind that a gun with a longer barrel should have rifle furnature (traditional rifle butt stock), and a gun with a shorter barrel should have assault weapon furnature (pistol grip, short butt stock). That's always seemed the most appropriate and traditional way to me.

But whatever the configuration, I have to admit, nine times out of ten, a wood stock looks better than synthetic. Especially the wood stocks on the Saigas. Their synthetic stocks seem flimsy and weak, whereas their wood stocks feel thicker, fuller, and a lot more solid. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice synthetic stocks out there that look great, but I wouldn't swap out the wood stock on my Saiga .308 for a synthetic one, because the wood looks too damn good.

Edited by Maniac Jack

.308 22" in wood. Love the way it looks. Full callibers like .308 just look 'right' with longer barells, wood stock, and standard configuration. My opinion, but I like it!

G O B