Questions on Tromix S12 Firing Pin

Tony,

I just did the R&R on the firing pin... very nice part BTW, much beefier than the stock part.

My questions relate to the included spring though.....

The replacement spring is VERY stiff. So much so that it causes the bolt head to bind slightly when it rotates.

This concerned me that it may cause undue wear on the bolt assembly if it's binding like that. I took it apart again

and swapped the old spring back in with the new pin.

Is the binding on the bolt head a wear issue or no?

Is the spring there only to prevent slam fires from a floating pin?

Is the replacement spring much stiffer to help prevent shock and stress to the pin?

Anything wrong with using the stock spring?

Thanks!

In testing I did not see any wear on the pin or bolt head with the heavier spring, however in the guns I tested, there was no "binding" either. It sounds like the track in your bolt head may be a bit rough. You can run the lighter OEM spring on the Tromix firing pin, but firing pin life is down around 8,000 rounds or so. With the heavier spring, pin life appeared to be infinite....at least I gave up on testing it further.

I did test slam fires with the heavy pin and light spring combination, and there was no problem.

Tony

Good info...... thanks!

EDIT: Took it apart and looked at it again.

Maybe "binding" wasn't the right word. You can just tell that there is increased resistance on the bolt head rotation due to the increased spring pressure. Looks like the only thing it's pushing harder against is the roll pin holding the bolt head on. No biggie I assume.

I put the new spring back in since I like the idea of a much longer pin life.

Thanks again for the info, and for making these available!

Edited by Spartacus
  • 4 weeks later...