my other dad's father was in WWII. he managed to bring back i think two rifles. Japanese of course. it's been a while since I've seen them, but there at my folks house in b'ham. any one got any info on value or other info. sorry no pics yet.

Most likely a Type 99 Arisaka Rifle in 7.7x58mm or an earlier 6.5×50mm. As to value, that would be determined by condition, year of issue, model variations, mum or no mum and other factors. Don't expect over $450, no mater what. Most likely a lot less.

value? Your grandpa brought it back from the war. They're irreplacable.

yeh, that's true. i wish i could remember the details of the story. it still has a sticky residue which i believe to be cosmo. when i go back for Christmas, maybe sooner, i'm going to find the rifle and check it out and find out some details.

Here's a couple of links to start with.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Like Juggs said, there are a lot of variable that will determine the value. While there are some rare specimens out there that can fetch a premium, most I've seen in average shape with the mum ground off, no accessories (sling, dust cover, bayonette), and non-matching part numbers usually go for around $100-150.

On the upside, they have very strong actions (right up there with the Mauser), you can still buy factory ammo (Hornady and Norma) & reloading dies, and they are quite fun to shoot.

all my grandad got from the japs was a bunch of torture (kept him alive since he was a doc though).. and some pictures from a hidden camera.. but those are not fun to look at.. caused some hell for warcrime japs tho postwar... I'd hang on to those guns if I were you, was a crappy experience for all, but we need to remember it and honor what they did.

Edited by volkov

I am rather fond of the Arisaka. I have 5 of them. Some will bring more than $350-$400. Paratrooper takedown models and Snipers will go for better than $1000 for a nice un molested matching rifle. Cavalry carbines will bring a premium also. Check out the price on an original leather sling if you want sticker shock.

My Dad took a VERY large Mule deer buck with his 7.7 some years back. But after carrying it on foot for about 10hrs. one day, he gave it up for his 7mm Mag. The thing was insanely acurate but weighed a ton. I had a 6.5 about the same time but traded it for a M1(since traded off) and the .22 I still have. Nice to shoot but the ammo was/is rather expensive.

value? Your grandpa brought it back from the war. They're irreplacable.

Agreed. Thats something that was earned with a lot of American Blood, sweat & tears and is not replaceable. Of course this is just my opinion, but selling those rifles would be a slap in the face to the soldier that brought them home...

Edited by RoughRider666

My Dad took a VERY large Mule deer buck with his 7.7 some years back. But after carrying it on foot for about 10hrs. one day, he gave it up for his 7mm Mag. The thing was insanely acurate but weighed a ton. I had a 6.5 about the same time but traded it for a M1(since traded off) and the .22 I still have. Nice to shoot but the ammo was/is rather expensive.

weighed a ton? They weigh about 8lb

I am rather fond of the Arisaka. I have 5 of them. Some will bring more than $350-$400. Paratrooper takedown models and Snipers will go for better than $1000 for a nice un molested matching rifle. Cavalry carbines will bring a premium also. Check out the price on an original leather sling if you want sticker shock.

I love milsurp rifles. Some are shooters, and some are safe queens, but it's all good.

Mexican contract Type 38 Arisakas can go for upwards of $2000. They were made in Japan for the Mexican army and are chambered in 7mm Mauser. Pretty cool, huh?

I have a 7.7 Arisaka as well that was a bring back from WW2. It had been sporterized, stock and barrel cut back and the bolt action lever turned down.

I'm keeping it because it has all the markings intact, meaning the emperor's insignia (the chrysanthemum) is still on it. I bought it from my friend's dad, who was a WW2 vet and spent some time in the Pacific Theater. It is one solid rifle but I think the accuracy suffered from the shorter barrel. I need to reload my own ammo for it though. Norma and Hornady are the only ones (I believe) that make factory ammo for it. There are references on the net for making 7.7 cases from 30-06 ammo.

Yeah, if you've got a paratrooper with a good mum on it, you're sitting on an expensive rifle, it will look something like the one below, note the black area in the middle, this is a pin which can be pulled to break the rifle in half. These rifles without the mum in fair condition will easily take $1000, with the mum in any condition, considerably more.

post-7166-12565827378559_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately many of the GI's who got these weapons sanded, scraped, or marred the mum in some manner; possibly as an insult to the Japanese.

It should look something like one of these.

post-7166-1256582942203_thumb.jpg

Pics were grabbed from various internet sources off of google images.

here are my Arisakas. All are matching, complete and have Mums intact. The top rifle is a trainer and fires blanks only.

Good Japanese rifles are greeting hard to find and prices are going up.

japrifles.jpg

Edited by Banshee

Unfortunately many of the GI's who got these weapons sanded, scraped, or marred the mum in some manner; possibly as an insult to the Japanese.

The Japanese military did this themselves because it was dishonorable to surrender anything with the emperor's seal on it. I think it was also part of the agreement that the US military was to remove the emperor's seal if they came across one in a weapon.

weighed a ton? They weigh about 8lb

It is the long gun and I think weighs close to 10-12lbs loaded, could be wrong, but compareatively speaking, it weighs alot more than his 7mm mag loaded. It too has the mum intact and had a bayonet which has disappeared over the years. Likely his crappy non-inlaws.

Anyway as a sniper rifle it would rock, but my lil 6.5(w/o mum) was easier to hike the high deserts with.