Anyone know where to locate? at any cost?

or those orange bakelites?

must be more rare than saiga 12 8 rounders :eek:

I just made up 3 - 30 round mags for my Saiga 7.62 x 39 out of steel AK47 mags. I'm told it's legal now, so all I did was have the notch in the front of the mag welded up close to flush with the sides, clean that up with a file if necessary, and file the catch at the back of the mag FROM THE BOTTOM AT THE SAME ANGLE until it fit under the mag latch on the rifle. Works great. Thinking about doing the same to an AK drum mag if I can get over this CHEAP thing I been goin' through. Best to weld the notch with wire feed or heliarc so's not to put too much heat into the sheet metal. Have fun!!!

bearinguy,

Welcome to the saiga forum. There is great information and a great bunch of guys here always willing to help one another.

Others have been modifying conventional AK mags for the 7.62 and bakelites and Galil's for the .223.

There has been much discussion on this topic particularly as it relates to imported rifles and the Section of law known as 922r. If you have converted your Saiga to an AK type using four US parts and no more than 10 foreign parts you areon solid ground with your mag modifications. However, if you are using your Saiga as a stock weapon and have modified the AK mags for use in it you are in violation of the law.

RDSWriter has written extensively on this topic and you may want to search out his threads on this forum or contact him by PM if you think you have a problem. apparently there is a legal distinction between the Saiga 30 rd magazine designed exclusively for the Saiga "Sporter" weapon and Large Capacity Military Magazines (LCMM) in the eyes of BATF.

Just thought I would extend a welcome and give you a heads up on a strange piece of law now that the Ban has seen sunset.

Wolverine

Can these things be used in a regular AK with bullet guide?

With modification? seems all you would have to do is file a bit of the front/top down.....

anyone used a saiga mag in their Saiga after bullet guide was installed?

The rear tab on the mag for the locking is a bit thin for a standard AK latch...would be loose & require some "build up" to lock tight.

Depending on the specific AK, the front of the Saiga mag MIGHT hit on the guide preventing it from latching correctly.

I left my Saiga latch (on the action) as is, put in a guide, and...

Trimmed the extreme top front of the original Saiga mag to clear the bullet guide.

The slightly modified Saiga mag (also modified to feed 15 rounds) fits and functions fine.

The finsihed mag is now compatable with my others. That was just my approach.

Saigamags.jpg

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

Awesome! Thank You!

I really wanted a little bit-a-hope!

I want to use Saiga factory mags...period. I also want the option of possibly putting in maybe a slightly different bullet guide thats measurements are cool for both factory saiga, and AK standard...vjor said thats possible.....then fit the factory saigas slightly......

If this is too much I'll sell off all me Polish Synthetics, and just stick with my factory Saigas...... :unsure:

The rear tab on the mag for the locking is a bit thin for a standard AK latch...would be loose & require some "build up" to lock tight.

well...aren't i using the saiga mag catch?

so saiga mags are fine right? it's just the whiole feed ramp thing. right?

so...cut the notch in the factory saiga mag fronts, and add a feed ramp/bullet guide.....

uh...right?

well...aren't i using the saiga mag catch?

so saiga mags are fine right? it's just the whiole feed ramp thing. right?

so...cut the notch in the factory saiga mag fronts, and add a feed ramp/bullet guide.....

uh...right?

We may have a semantics glitch here (Aslo, I've worked for two weeks w/o a day off!).

Sure -Saiga mags will work in a Saiga. :rolleyes: The Saiga would not require a bullet guide to do so...as that is the way they are made, of course.

The Saiga mag LATCH in the action is LONGER than a standard AK...where it's shorter. What you do to standarize YOUR system involves a "either/or" choice inwhich either the mag locking tabs on AK mags are thinned to match the Saiga mags, or, the Saiga's latch in the action trimmed to fit the AK mags -and be loose with use of the Saiga mag.

But, yes. What was discussed is what would be required to use a Saiga mag in a Saiga with a bullet guide.

We gettin' anywhere?

OK

1. Put a bullet guide in my Saiga rifle.

2. File TOP FRONT of Saiga factory mag to look as close to standard AK as possible.

3. File REAR of standard AK mag to look as close to Saiga factory mag as possible.

small fitments on both types of mags.

I can use saigas in saiga after bullet guide!

• 1 month later...
So, just for a little clarification: I want to use stock Saiga and altered AK mags (mag latch only) The AK mags require me to install a bullet guide.Can I still use my stock Saiga Mags unaltered? I would think I should be able to but would just like a confirmation.

Thanks alot

JeffM

The bullet guide, needed to get the modified AK mags to work, usually would be in the way of the top front of the Saiga mag locking in place.

You can either:

(1) Trim the top front of the contact area on the Saiga mag (this is easy) to allow it to lock in place...and work.

Or...

(2) Install the bullet guide a little bit forward -just enough to allow it to clear and lock in place.

I chose #1...works fine.

Here (I posted this just above)....

Saigamags.jpg

The AK mags in the set are modified for the Saiga, and, the Saiga mag has that square protrusion at it's top front modified, where the top half is filed flush with the mag body (you kind sorta see that). That's how #1 is done.

Edited by lollygagger

How to use AK mags in a Saiga:

In order to use any foreign made AK magazine in your saiga, you have to replace a minimum of four (4) parts from this list with US manufactured parts:

Receiver

Trunion

Barrel

Bolt

Bolt carrier

Gas piston

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnector

Stock

Forearm

Magazine body

Magazine follower

Magazine floorplate

The most common method to make your Saiga legal is to perform the Pistol Grip conversion. The parts replaced in the PG conversion are the FCG (Hammer, Trigger, Disconnector) and the stock set (Buttstock and PG)

In the PG mod, a bullet guide is installed, the PG mod allows users to use magazines from any country.

The second method retains the Saiga's monte carlo style stock. This mod requires the replacement of the gas piston, and the use of US made magazines. A bullet guide is also installed.

The US gas piston is one (1) part, and the US magazines are three (3) parts.

Finally, if you put in a feed ramp, your saiga mags will still work.