Can it be saved

Hi everyone,I've got a Saiga 7.62X39 that has been striped down to only the receiver,barrel,and stock.I don't have any parts at all.After alot of reading it dosen't sound like it can be put back together(no replacement bolts avalible)but I though I would ask to be on the safe side.Thanks for any help you can give a newbee

Hi everyone,I've got a Saiga 7.62X39 that has been striped down to only the receiver,barrel,and stock.I don't have any parts at all.After alot of reading it dosen't sound like it can be put back together(no replacement bolts avalible)but I though I would ask to be on the safe side.Thanks for any help you can give a newbee

Im not sure if a "standard" AKM bolt carrier group can be used in a Saiga, but I dont see why not. If nobody else responds with a Yay or Nay, I can run down and swap a Romy BCG into my Saiga and see if it seems to work. I really dont see a reason it wouldnt. The only thing I question is that extra "rivet" on the left side of the trunnion near the chamber.

Does the barrel still have the gas block and front sight on it?

And I still have all my trigger take off parts if youre looking to go back stock and not convert.

Just out of curiosity, where the hell did you get that?

And a few more questions that'll help determine how difficult it would be to restore...

Is the barrel still fixed to the receiver?

Are the gas block and/or sight blocks still fixed to the barrel?

If I recall correctly, the receiver is identical to an AK receiver, so parts should be relatively interchangeable. Others will know more. I've only owned Saiga shotguns, never the rifles. Get further clarification on this point before going forward.

If all of the barrel parts are present and still fixed in their proper positions, it may be as simple as moving the trigger group forward in the receiver, installing a bullet guide, purchasing your 922R compliance parts and forearm furniture (more details available in THE LAW section of the forum on 922R) and dropping in a milled-receiver parts kit of your choice (one of our business members, Atlantic Firearms, has Egyptian kits for sale at a very reasonable price).

If you wanted to go cheaper and easier yet, you can probably find a Contributor who has their factory trigger group leftover from their conversion and is willing to sell or trade it. Just drop that in, drop in the neccesary parts from the parts kit, buy and install a forearm, and you should be ready to go.

If your gas block and sight blocks are missing, it becomes a little more challenging, and you will probably want to go to a gunsmith, or just sell your parts toward buying a complete rifle.

some has/had a gas tube for sale in the for sale section if you need one....if they still have it that is....

you should be able to pick up a handguard as well as some other parts, if you put up a WTB ad

Heh, a wrote a whole damned book and by the time I was done my question was answered!

Well, you say it's converted so that makes things easier yet, so long as an AKM bolt/carrier works. Just buy a parts kit, furniture and compliance parts. From there it should be a matter of drop in, rock and roll!

FWIW, I just tried both a Romanian BCG and a milled Bulgarian BCG and neither would function correctly in my Saiga. Both of the aforementioned rifles are of the 7.62x39 variety.

Unfortunately, I dont have access to an AK74 style BCG, and that seems to be more of what these guns are styled on.

The carriers do not appear to be the problem, it's the bolt. However, the Saiga bolt doesnt even function correctly in either of the carriers at all.

Maybe someone has one and can try it out for you.

• Like 1

From what I have read here, the bolt carrier has a different sized hole so a Saiga bolt wont fit/work in it. And if you want to try an AK74 bolt and carrier, the extractor will not work in a Saiga. If you can find a Saiga bolt, you can probably make something work with a AK74 carrier, but good luck finding parts. They are very few and even farther between. Some where in the X39 section, some one had a thread about a replacement bolt, and there is more info there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Edited by thehopping1

I might be seeing things again,but I remember a topic here on the forum about different AK bolt firing group and firing pins and why they did or didnt work in the saiga. I tried doing a search but didnt find anything,so maybe you guys that remember it can find it and post it here. I remember it had alot of info and pictures a well..Good Luck

Would it possible to take the Saiga receiver and a complete parts kit with a new barrel and not have the bolt/carrier problem?or is it the receiver that makes the problem?

If you bought a complete de-mill parts kit you could build it on your receiver the same as you would a new receiver. I'm sure you could leave the rear trunnion in place as well.

• Like 1

Would it possible to take the Saiga receiver and a complete parts kit with a new barrel and not have the bolt/carrier problem?or is it the receiver that makes the problem?

If you bought a complete de-mill parts kit you could build it on your receiver the same as you would a new receiver. I'm sure you could leave the rear trunnion in place as well.