S-12 Barrel Removal

I bought my S-12 in April, have been collecting the necessary parts, and I am finally getting around to doing the conversion. I finished it in a shorter time than expected, with the help of a few pics from another post and that video from Carolina. I was thinking that I just might to change the color of the receiver. Nothing too wild, just different. I was looking at the barrel assembly where it attaches to the receiver, and it looks like if I drift out that one pin, the whole barrel assembly, gas tube and all, will slide out the front. Could it be that simple?

Also, I was going to use some higher quality paint from Brownell's. Any recommendations?

• Like 2

Thanks gentlemen! Yes I am referring to you guys! Here is a before pic. I saw a gun with the receiver painted a battleship grey and thought it was outstanding looking. I have a Tromix modified G2 FCG, a Tromix DIY trigger guard (very nice, by the way), and I was the winner of the auction that Chaos (also very nice) had a while ago, so I have some good looking stuff. I will post as I make progress.

Any suggestions on the paint? Prep?

post-16770-12565887614795_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm going with brownell's Guncoat next time.

Your avatar is frickin' beautiful btw.

ETA...oh, this might have better insight on how to paint it.

sunnybean, I see your link is to AR15.com, but I tried it three times and it would not work. Could you re-post, please?

My avatar..just an old girlfriend. Waaay too high maintenance. Yeah right, in my dreams. No, really, in my dreams!!

Edited by Gun Nut

I'm going with brownell's Guncoat next time.

Your avatar is frickin' beautiful btw.

ETA...oh, this might have better insight on how to paint it.

sunnybean, I see your link is to AR15.com, but I tried it three times and it would not work. Could you re-post, please?

My avatar..just an old girlfriend. Waaay too high maintenance. Yeah right, in my dreams. No, really, in my dreams!!

You got me on a tank girl kick...

friend of mine did his saiga in battleship gray, came out real nice.

I dont think he was looking for that color, he bought silver moly resin, sandblasted the receiver, sprayed on the moly resin, baked it in the oven, never removed the barrel. comes out real close to battleship gray.

So if you want to do that color, you might want to look at moly resin before you look at just paint, the moly resin will hold up a lot better than paint.

to get the barrel out, you're going to need a press. No way are you just removing the pin and pulling it out by hand.

like the other guys said, tape it off if you dont want to paint that

I like my Cast Iron gray.

I used, 500* Duplicolor Ceramic Enamel, color- Cast Coat Iron (DE1651) , and it has proven durable, tho in high heat areas like the barrel it has darkened significantly... Just like cast iron :rolleyes:

100_6630.jpg

100_5962.jpg

Chille, that is just about the look I want. I like the grey receiver with the black safety and triggerguard. Have you posted her before?

sunnybean, I checked out the GunKoat, and it looks like some awesome stuff. It also sounds like it would be a good thing to have on the rails because it has lubricating properties and is pretty indestructible, so I would not have to worry about having to mask them off, just the gas tube and barrel. Thanks for the info, guys.

Chille, that is just about the look I want. I like the grey receiver with the black safety and triggerguard. Have you posted her before?

sunnybean, I checked out the GunKoat, and it looks like some awesome stuff. It also sounds like it would be a good thing to have on the rails because it has lubricating properties and is pretty indestructible, so I would not have to worry about having to mask them off, just the gas tube and barrel. Thanks for the info, guys.

Posted pics?... But of course.

I wouldn't advise putting anything on the rails but grease, tape'em off.

Chile,

That looks absolutely awesome. :super: How has that paint stood up to wear and tear?

Very well, I'm quite pleased.

The only thing that has marred it was when I got overly happy (messy) with the Hoppes Blast & Clean, that shit could take the red off'a Satan's ass.