Best sight for Saiga 12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post apoc, are you almost done crying yet? I thought you said a long ways back that it would be best if we ignored each other? (basically that's what I was trying to do when I edited my post out) Well

Like I was saying earlier though...for an S-12 that will be shooting lots of slugs and magnum buck, you probably should opt for the Kobra with the coin style battery, instead of the AAs. I've had no t

So cobra, what you're saying is that if someone disagrees with you, they're automatically a "troll"? 6500rpm prefers the Krebs as well, is he a "troll"?   You are the one who took this thread in

Posted Images

I shoot 3-gun competitions. I shoot open class with a Konus atomic dot on a quad rail.

Its been great. I have a genuine eotech 553 and a real aimpoint Mk 3. The konus is screaming deal.

Here I go again, how's the glass on it?

Sorry, That's the first question I ask EVERYBODY when they bring up a new sight to the thread.

The glass is no worse than the blue tint that my aimpoint has.

Remember on a forward mounted dot optic, you dont look through the optic like a scope, you focus on the target and the dot gets between your eyes and the target giving you the aiming point. The Konus has a lifetime warranty as well. I liked it so much I bought 2 more for other projects. Less than $300 for 3 vs $1500 for 3 Micros. I am in no way saying that it is better than an Aimpoint I just saying that to me its a way better value. The Konus has done everything I have asked of it and has not failed.

You can also look at the Sig micro dot its the same as the Konus but you have the schwing factor of it saying Sig on it. That matters to some.

[quote name='THE RIPPER' date='30 October 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1256927675'

Sorry, That's the first question I ask EVERYBODY when they bring up a new sight to the thread.

Remember on a forward mounted dot optic, you dont look through the optic like a scope, you focus on the target and the dot gets between your eyes and the target giving you the aiming point. The Konus has a lifetime warranty as well. I liked it so much I bought 2 more for other projects. Less than $300 for 3 vs $1500 for 3 Micros. I am in no way saying that it is better than an Aimpoint I just saying that to me its a way better value. The Konus has done everything I have asked of it and has not failed.

You can also look at the Sig micro dot its the same as the Konus but you have the schwing factor of it saying Sig on it. That matters to some.

[quote name='THE RIPPER' date='30 October 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1256927675'

I have used some red dots in the past that now sit in my closet or I have gotten rid of. IMO, nothing compares to the Eotech. I just don't think that the Eotech is the right application for this weapon.

The glare is key to me. I have used some where you can't even see the dot because of glare or reflection. That is a big concern for me and that's why I always ask the question. Do you have any problems like that in ALL lighting conditions with the Konus?

Seeing that you use it for competition shooting, I'm sure the target acquisition has got to be quick which I am looking for. Definitely a +1

I'm not too concerned about the $, I'm just looking to make my S12 reach it's highest potential. The only thing my weapon lacks is the proper sights. Everything else is exactly what I want.

Thanks for the input, please keep it coming.

EDIT

I have been doing some research on the Konus and it looks pretty cool. I'm going to look more into it.

Edited by THE RIPPER

Sounds to me like you need an eotech with krebs sights and everyone will be happy...except your poor russian shotgun....that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Dude, do you always go through this before buying something?:unsure:

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you need an eotech with krebs sights and everyone will be happy...except your poor russian shotgun....that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Dude, do you always go through this before buying something?:unsure:

:lolol: I am like a little bitch aren't I? Talk to my wife one day and she'll tell you how much of a pain in the ass I can be.

Just trying to get as many opinions as I can. Knowledge is power. I have WASTED thousands of dollars in my days getting the wrong shit for my weapons. Just want to get this one right.

EDIT

By the way, by me being the pain in the ass that I am, it provides a lot of information to other members.

Edited by THE RIPPER

:lolol:

Dude, do you always go through this before buying something?:unsure:

Yes, EVERYTHING :grimace:

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

What's up TurdyBirdy?!!!!!

TurdyBirdy is a close friend of mine and does my gunsmithing for me. He knows me pretty damn good.

See Cobra? He just answered your question.

I'm a fuckin' pain in the ass!

What sucks is that I already have this http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 and I will have to lose it if I go that route. I don't mind spending the $ but I hate wasting it.

That's what I'm running on mine now. Just to let you know, the Krebs rear ghost ring works WONDERFULLY with it. Getting just the rear sight might be tough though. If you contact Krebs, they might be willing to sell you just the rear sight howver.

Just a thought.

+1 for the Kobra sight. No fuss, no extra rails. Not the cheapest, but works well and can be quickly removed, if wanted.

Corbin

• Like 1

What sucks is that I already have this http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 and I will have to lose it if I go that route. I don't mind spending the $ but I hate wasting it.

That's what I'm running on mine now. Just to let you know, the Krebs rear ghost ring works WONDERFULLY with it. Getting just the rear sight might be tough though. If you contact Krebs, they might be willing to sell you just the rear sight howver.

Just a thought.

+1 for the Kobra sight. No fuss, no extra rails. Not the cheapest, but works well and can be quickly removed, if wanted.

Corbin

That is good to hear that the front sight is compatible with the Krebs. Thanks for that info.

I did call Krebs yesterday and they do NOT sell the sights seperately.

AS far as the Kobra, I'm just a little skeptical on those because of what I have read, heard and what John in AZ posted on page 2 of this thread.(which was a huge help) Just don't want to get the fake.

Thanks for your help Corbin

leadslinger, I think you made a good choice. I've also not tried the Konus Atomic Dot mentioned on my S12, but I have a Sig version on my .223 and it's a very good small platform red dot.

As for post-apocaliptic's reference to Cobra having a problem with "my opinion" on sight choices all I can say is that we go back a few years and have a level of mutual respect that doesn't allow opinions to get in the way of constructive discussion on gun work. I'm sure at some point he's seen a post of mine and thought WTF, but had the understanding that it was constructive, not derogatory. There's a lesson to be learned in that for all with the way we post on the forum-when I first found this site it was 99% about guns and gun modification, that's the way it should be. If you weed out all the b.s. there's some good information contained in this thread.

Just curious on what you guys thought is the best sight for the Saiga 12. I'm running factory iron sights with the raised front barrel sight now. I was thinking about adding an Eotech, Kobra, Burris Fastfire II, Aimpoint T1 Micro or something along that line. If I do add anything, it will be attached by using the side plate. I don't have a top pic rail but I can get the quick detach side rail. Just wanted to pick your brains on the options and if I'm missing a good sight, please let me know. I am familiar with the Eotech but know nothing about the QUALITY of the others. OR should i just stick with the iron sights? Thanks! :unsure:

I run an Eotech 553, but I am switching out to a Trijicon RX30 due to its "always on" illumination and dedicating the Eo to the AR where it belongs. The 553 is a brute and has worked flawlessly for 2 years. I just don't like the idea of having to first turn it on in an HD situation in a darkened house.

Edited by 690gr
  • Like 1

Just curious on what you guys thought is the best sight for the Saiga 12. I'm running factory iron sights with the raised front barrel sight now. I was thinking about adding an Eotech, Kobra, Burris Fastfire II, Aimpoint T1 Micro or something along that line. If I do add anything, it will be attached by using the side plate. I don't have a top pic rail but I can get the quick detach side rail. Just wanted to pick your brains on the options and if I'm missing a good sight, please let me know. I am familiar with the Eotech but know nothing about the QUALITY of the others. OR should i just stick with the iron sights? Thanks! :unsure:

I just don't like the idea of having to first turn it on in an HD situation in a darkened house.

That makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that it had that feature. Pretty fuckin' cool really.

I run Eotech's on my AR's and love them. I agree that they are not the right sight for this gun. (for a few reasons)

Thanks! :up:

EDIT

I had a hard time finding reviews on that sight. This is the only one that I found

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=386783

Edited by THE RIPPER

...As for post-apocaliptic's reference to Cobra having a problem with "my opinion" on sight choices all I can say is that we go back a few years and have a level of mutual respect that doesn't allow opinions to get in the way of constructive discussion on gun work. I'm sure at some point he's seen a post of mine and thought WTF, but had the understanding that it was constructive, not derogatory...

My point was that I hold the same opinion as you do regarding the Krebs sights, but when I express that opinion, (very politely), in cobra's eyes I'm a "troll". When you do so you just disagree and he doesn't throw any derogatory epithets at you. Just pointing out the hypocrisy I see there.

I really do try to be constructive and add to the forum when I post.. and I think I have done so. For some damn reason, (that I don't understand), ol cobra sees things differently. I sure as hell was not hostile toward cobra, (as he was toward me, in multiple posts), in my post in this thread expressing my polite disagreement with his opinion of S-12 iron sights. *shrug*

Anyway, my opinion remains unaltered. The best bang for your buck, (and easiest installation), for S-12 replacement irons is the Krebs S-12 "combat sights". For ~$99 you get a fsb and rear sight that give you ghost-ring or almost peep sights, (when the rear sight insert is used). I maintain that aperture sights such as these are far superior to traditional "slot-n-post" AK sights. If you swap out the AR-type Krebs front sight post for an XS tritium product, they're just that much more effective in low-light conditions.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 2

Hi again, one more question about the rear stock sites. Are the Glock sites compatable? Do they drift right in? I haven't seen this addressed anywhere before, just had heard that Glock sights were the way to go. I have a source for "Williamms" brand Glock sights that are made of aircraft aluminum and have a fiber optic light gathering insert. This sounds like exactly what I want, if it will drift right into the stock rear S-12 mount. The front will be an HK mount with a tritium insert. I'm not concerned so much with 100% accuracy, as this is a shottie, but want fast target sighting. The only reason I sak is that I also see some people mentioning the 1911 sites. I want to be able to slide the sites in myself. Thanks ahead of time.

Anybody have any experience with the Armson O.E.G. system?

I found this thread if anybody is interested in the Armson O.E.G.

Post # 14 has some information with a pic

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=3500&view=&hl=ARMSON%92s%20OEG&fromsearch=1

The thread also has some other interesting information.

Edited by THE RIPPER

I have used some red dots in the past that now sit in my closet or I have gotten rid of. IMO, nothing compares to the Eotech. I just don't think that the Eotech is the right application for this weapon.

The glare is key to me. I have used some where you can't even see the dot because of glare or reflection. That is a big concern for me and that's why I always ask the question. Do you have any problems like that in ALL lighting conditions with the Konus?

Seeing that you use it for competition shooting, I'm sure the target acquisition has got to be quick which I am looking for. Definitely a +1

I'm not too concerned about the $, I'm just looking to make my S12 reach it's highest potential. The only thing my weapon lacks is the proper sights. Everything else is exactly what I want.

Thanks for the input, please keep it coming.

EDIT

I have been doing some research on the Konus and it looks pretty cool. I'm going to look more into it.

FYI ,we install the konus on a friend FN SLP shotgun ,and after more than 50 full power slugs and 20 reduced recoil the zero remain the same and

I was able to hit a target at 60 plus yards without any difficulty. I am getting one for my SLR95 and probably one for my S12.

• Like 1

Post apoc, are you almost done crying yet? I thought you said a long ways back that it would be best if we ignored each other? (basically that's what I was trying to do when I edited my post out) Well do it then, and quit bringing my name back up here. This thread is about sights, not personal problems and hypocrisy. You really need a better understanding of why I happen to hold the opinion of you that I do? Here let me spell it out for you ok? I do not like you. I do not like your tone when you are responding to any of my posts, or others. (like yesterday for instance, when you had to interject your own little smartass "opinion" about how airsoft shotguns serve no useful purpose. You could have just kept that one to yourself, and the thread would have been more enjoyable for everyone reading it.) I do not like the way you bitch and moan all over the forum. I do not like your tone in hardly any of your posts. Spare me a reply because I'm sure the feeling is quite mutual, especially now.

But don't even try to compare yourself with long time friends of mine, knowledgeable gunsmiths, and cool members here like 6500RPM. He has earned a level of respect from me that you will never know about. As I said before. there's nothing wrong with the Krebs sights. I've used them a lot, and they work. They aren't necessarily "the best sight for saiga 12" though, and I gave me reasons why I believe that. I have a right to my own opinion too. They may be the easiest, but not necessarily the best.

As I said though, good luck to the OP in his quest for a happy medium.

• Like 2

Post apoc, are you almost done crying yet? I thought you said a long ways back that it would be best if we ignored each other? (basically that's what I was trying to do when I edited my post out) Well do it then, and quit bringing my name back up here. This thread is about sights, not personal problems and hypocrisy. You really need a better understanding of why I happen to hold the opinion of you that I do? Here let me spell it out for you ok? I do not like you. I do not like your tone when you are responding to any of my posts, or others. (like yesterday for instance, when you had to interject your own little smartass "opinion" about how airsoft shotguns serve no useful purpose. You could have just kept that one to yourself, and the thread would have been more enjoyable for everyone reading it.) I do not like the way you bitch and moan all over the forum. I do not like your tone in hardly any of your posts. Spare me a reply because I'm sure the feeling is quite mutual, especially now.

But don't even try to compare yourself with long time friends of mine, knowledgeable gunsmiths, and cool members here like 6500RPM. He has earned a level of respect from me that you will never know about. As I said before. there's nothing wrong with the Krebs sights. I've used them a lot, and they work. They aren't necessarily "the best sight for saiga 12" though, and I gave me reasons why I believe that. I have a right to my own opinion too. They may be the easiest, but not necessarily the best.

As I said though, good luck to the OP in his quest for a happy medium.

Cobra, You know what your problem is? You're not a happy-go-lucky guy. You need something like the guys in the video below have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHHtboagJm4

• Like 1

That video is wrong on so many levels :eek:

How do you even go about finding something like that on you tube?

I couldn't even watch all of it. I could only stand it for 30-60 seconds. If anyone was able to watch all of it let me know if I missed something?

They did say at the end of the video that

They will be performing the Half Time Show at the next Raiders game. :horror: then :eyes_droped:

You might want to get BLIND with as much

:beer: and :smoke: before the show begins.

Edited by THE RIPPER