Best sight for Saiga 12

As for optics....Kobra all the way. Choice of four cool recticles & 15 brightness settings I think it is...I'll have to check mine. They are built as rugged as they come....waterproof & shockproof, good for use in all temps and conditions, built to attach right to the sight rail on the Saiga and AK. The PK-AS is also a good choice. <----WTF????

http://www.thehighro...ad.php?t=458215

The Kobra seems like a fairly good choice, unless you compare it to the very Superior PK-AS. Cost, ruggedness, design and utility make the PK-AS the only choice....

I suppose the LaRue Iron dot is a viable choice for women, boy scouts, invalids, and others who plan on not actually shooting their rifles. For me, however, the PK-AS (which cannot be destroyed by drooping it from 6' as can the Burris optic) is the only choice for the s12.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post apoc, are you almost done crying yet? I thought you said a long ways back that it would be best if we ignored each other? (basically that's what I was trying to do when I edited my post out) Well

Like I was saying earlier though...for an S-12 that will be shooting lots of slugs and magnum buck, you probably should opt for the Kobra with the coin style battery, instead of the AAs. I've had no t

So cobra, what you're saying is that if someone disagrees with you, they're automatically a "troll"? 6500rpm prefers the Krebs as well, is he a "troll"?   You are the one who took this thread in

Posted Images

...I suppose the LaRue Iron dot is a viable choice for women, boy scouts, invalids, and others who plan on not actually shooting their rifles. For me, however, the PK-AS (which cannot be destroyed by drooping it from 6' as can the Burris optic) is the only choice for the s12.

You fucker. :P I could see how a standard FastFire II might be destroyed by a drop from that height, but are you claiming that it would be broken by the same fall while protected by the shield that the LaRue AK IronDot provides?

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

...I suppose the LaRue Iron dot is a viable choice for women, boy scouts, invalids, and others who plan on not actually shooting their rifles. For me, however, the PK-AS (which cannot be destroyed by drooping it from 6' as can the Burris optic) is the only choice for the s12.

You fucker. :P I could see how a standard FastFire II might be destroyed by a drop from that height, but are you claiming that it would be broken by the same fall while protected by the shield that the LaRue AK IronDot provides?

Heh, just messing with ya. :smoke: The Larue is stable, but I worry about it falling at such an angle as to hit the glass. I don't run it on mine, but its a solid choice. I like the krebs iron sights by the way, but really with a shotgun, Im not sure it matters.

Heh, just messing with ya. :smoke: The Larue is stable, but I worry about it falling at such an angle as to hit the glass. I don't run it on mine, but its a solid choice. I like the krebs iron sights by the way, but really with a shotgun, Im not sure it matters.

Oh, the Krebs are a huge improvement over the shit OEM sights, believe me. Using the Krebs, (with the polymer peep-sight insert), with slugs, you can be very accurate out to ~100 yards. I also like using the Krebs without the insert for an very fast ghost-ring sight picture when busting clays.

• Like 1

Yikes! I never priced the red dots, just fantasised. $365 or more? I'll stick with my $15 dollar HK that I will need to cut down and weld and the $50 tritium night sights and Glock rear sights. Until I actually feel and shoot any other. Not likely here in the breadbasket (armmpit?) of the nation. Wolverines! lol. I'm not just a cheapskate, I'm the president of cheapskate sights. As long as they are durable and work. I'm the only one I know with 2 s-12's and 2 drums.

They are a lot of $ but you get what you pay for. The Eotech's are the shit! I have Eotech's on my AR's and I fuckin love 'em. Well worth the $. I just don't know if it's the most EFFECTIVE sight for the Saiga 12.

... I suppose the LaRue Iron dot is a viable choice for women, boy scouts, invalids, and others who plan on not actually shooting their rifles.

First you start on the NRA and now the BSA? Man is there no end to your malicious fallacious vilification of noble American Institutions? :lolol:

Look, as a Eagle Scout I resent your implication that the Scouts do not actually shoot! We shot .22 rifles and 12 gauge shotguns at summer camp every day! That is also the first place that I ever got to shoot a Garand.

It addition, my troop had a small range carved out in the woods near our Scout Hut.

"Scouts not shoot", that is just crazy talk!

• Like 1

^ I got sick of the "crowded" sight picture in your middle pic above, and finally dremelled off the original bead. Well, I should say I mostly dremelled/filed it down. I left just enough to be helpful in realigning the front sight block should it ever become canted.

I've since shot my S-12 a few times, both target at ~50yrds with slugs and busting clays with Federal Value Pack.. and I really do prefer the sight picture without that bead interfering partway down the sight radius.

As for Cobra's opinion on the dinzag irons being better.. I gotta disagree. Sure, they are without a doubt more authentic to a Kalashnikov, but I doubt many here will disagree that aperture sights are more natural and quick to aim, and provide a more open sight picture, (all of which make them more generally effective), than traditional slot-n-post AK sights, (basically pistol sights).

Ymmv.

Editing post....never mind...PA ain't worth it....

Dang Gary you love stirrin dat turd don't ya man? lol

Ripper I've not had much experience with the overpriced (IMO) red dots. The Kobra is about as high as I'm willing to go in price. It comes with a hood to help with glare.

How much did you pay for the Kobra? I got an Eotech 512 at the Sportman's Guide for a pretty good price. I am a club member and I buy from them a lot. They usually send a $10 off coupon with my shipment that you can use when you spend $99 or more. So with shipping, I think I paid about $365 for it. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/eotech-512a65-1-reflex-sight.aspx?a=552691

Kobras can be a bit less, but I think you did well on the EOTech. I'd rather buy a proven US-made red dot than take my chances and possibly receive one of the many fake Kobras floating around on "teh interweb".

To put it another way; I'd love an authentic Kobra.. but there's nothing at all wrong with an EOTech and they're made in the US.

I can't find a better price for the Eotech anywhere. I got all of my Eotechs from SG. As far as the Kobra goes, is there a CREDIBLE place to buy them? I heard that there are a lot of replica's out there which make me hesitant. This is the first time that I've heard of the PK AS. Same thing there, is there a CREDIBLE place to get one? When you google it, the options are limited.

... I suppose the LaRue Iron dot is a viable choice for women, boy scouts, invalids, and others who plan on not actually shooting their rifles.

First you start on the NRA and now the BSA? Man is there no end to your malicious fallacious vilification of noble American Institutions? :lolol:

Look, as a Eagle Scout I resent your implication that the Scouts do not actually shoot! We shot .22 rifles and 12 gauge shotguns at summer camp every day! That is also the first place that I ever got to shoot a Garand.

It addition, my troop had a small range carved out in the woods near our Scout Hut.

I made it up to Life myself, I had to much going on junior year with soccer to go for Eagle, but I wish I had in hind sight. My son's a Tiger cub right now, so I really have nothing against the BSA. That being said, all I got to shoot were 10/22's and some crappy bolt action 22's at camp each year, which would be perfect rifles for the Burris optic. The point is the Burris optic is susceptible to breaking, and is better suited to people who don't put their rifles to daily use. :ph34r:

Edited by bigsal

^ I got sick of the "crowded" sight picture in your middle pic above, and finally dremelled off the original bead. Well, I should say I mostly dremelled/filed it down. I left just enough to be helpful in realigning the front sight block should it ever become canted.

I've since shot my S-12 a few times, both target at ~50yrds with slugs and busting clays with Federal Value Pack.. and I really do prefer the sight picture without that bead interfering partway down the sight radius.

As for Cobra's opinion on the dinzag irons being better.. I gotta disagree. Sure, they are without a doubt more authentic to a Kalashnikov, but I doubt many here will disagree that aperture sights are more natural and quick to aim, and provide a more open sight picture, (all of which make them more generally effective), than traditional slot-n-post AK sights, (basically pistol sights).

Ymmv.

Ripper I've not had much experience with the overpriced (IMO) red dots. The Kobra is about as high as I'm willing to go in price. It comes with a hood to help with glare.

How much did you pay for the Kobra? I got an Eotech 512 at the Sportman's Guide for a pretty good price. I am a club member and I buy from them a lot. They usually send a $10 off coupon with my shipment that you can use when you spend $99 or more. So with shipping, I think I paid about $365 for it. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/eotech-512a65-1-reflex-sight.aspx?a=552691

Kobras can be a bit less, but I think you did well on the EOTech. I'd rather buy a proven US-made red dot than take my chances and possibly receive one of the many fake Kobras floating around on "teh interweb".

To put it another way; I'd love an authentic Kobra.. but there's nothing at all wrong with an EOTech and they're made in the US.

I can't find a better price for the Eotech anywhere. I got all of my Eotechs from SG. As far as the Kobra goes, is there a CREDIBLE place to buy them? I heard that there are a lot of replica's out there which make me hesitant. This is the first time that I've heard of the PK AS. Same thing there, is there a CREDIBLE place to get one? When you google it, the options are limited.

Eastwave.ca has them in stock (get the PK-AS-V unit for over the bore, PK-AS-S for the unit to the side of the bore, and PK-AS-W for weaver mount).

Ymmv.

Eastwave.ca has them in stock (get the PK-AS-V unit for over the bore, PK-AS-S for the unit to the side of the bore, and PK-AS-W for weaver mount).

Thanks for the website. Have you ever used those sights before? Of course I have to ask, how is the glass on them?

Well, he's edited it out, but be assured, fellow S-12.com members, that the post of Cobra's that I react to above was a whole heaping pile of shit directed my way, for the terrible crime of daring to politely disagree with the almighty Cobra's immaculate opinion on S-12 iron sights.

Yeah you're damn right troll. I edited it out because I wanted to avoid getting your punk ass all riled up like that and taking the thread in A-HOLE different direction...just like you started doing.....got your self into such a little tizzie that you posted three times and didn't even notice I had thrown in the towel before your first one went up...:rolleyes:

Oh yes all you fine S-12 members...please jump on board with me in my daily crusade to make everyone here believe that cobra doesn't know shit and is only here doing what he does to make me and a few other trolls pee our panties.....daily.

Put your big boy pants back on and change your attitude dude. You've been whining about everything on the forum since the cops busted you and took your shit away. Try going a whole day and not posting something negative somewhere...I dare ya.:rolleyes:

If you weren't the troll I've described, you could have let my comment about the dinzag sights (which are made by a FORUM VENDOR, fellow long time member and friend of mine, and someone else who can appreciate the way an AK is supposed to look and act) alone, then just added your "opinion" of the Krebs sights, without having to "disagree with cobra's opinion"...but it's more fun to poke the bear ain't it? Then when he wakes up and shits on you for it, try and turn the whole damn forum against him with comments like that. If anything it's your buddy bigsal down there getting funky about someone (me) not posting his favorite Russian red dot/ black dot sight and also feeling obligated to bring it to everyone's attention....observe v

As for optics....Kobra all the way. Choice of four cool recticles & 15 brightness settings I think it is...I'll have to check mine. They are built as rugged as they come....waterproof & shockproof, good for use in all temps and conditions, built to attach right to the sight rail on the Saiga and AK. The PK-AS is also a good choice. <----WTF????

The Kobra seems like a fairly good choice, unless you compare it to the very Superior PK-AS. Cost, ruggedness, design and utility make the PK-AS the only choice....

I suppose the LaRue Iron dot is a viable choice for women, boy scouts, invalids, and others who plan on not actually shooting their rifles. For me, however, the PK-AS (which cannot be destroyed by drooping it from 6' as can the Burris optic) is the only choice for the s12.

And then of course has to take it a step further by saying a bunch of other "crazy talk" which he later takes back....:rolleyes:

No Azrial, it's just plain ol TROLL talk....who cares who you bash right?

I agree with ya about the shooting in Scouts. I had many years of good training with long guns thanks to my scouting years, and the years before that thanks to my dad, and before him, my grand dad. We didn't use no damn peep sights either. It was a blade and a slot, and I was shooting the fire off a cigarette with a 22 long with those basic sights on that old Remington pump. And yes Pos taco -lips, I did know about the insert, in fact I commented on that in the post you had so much fun with after the fact, but somehow missed that part....just like you missed the years of good helpful posts by me before you slinked into this joint. And among those posts, many of them singing praise for your beloved KREBS sights....now have all the fun you want and thanks for the couple of nice comments you made finally about me, after trying to demonize me for just helping the OP with MY particular "almighty" opinion.:ded:

Keep your negative comments and "disagreements" away from my posts if you are gonna continue making a habit of it. I can handle someone having a different idea than me. That's different than attempting to discredit me by name. That goes for you and all your other troll friends who can't stand me.

• Like 1

Sorry about that Ripper. I have to put up with these dolts all the time.

To answer your question, my Kobras were bought for $180 and $150 lightly used, and are definitely not fakes. There are ways to tell the fakes from the real thing....or vice versa. I wouldn't expect numnuts up there to have read about those though. He was probably too busy bitching about something somewhere...

The Eotechs are very nice and that's well known. These are Ruissian guns though, so I personally prefer to use Russian glass on them. Do some research on Russian optics and the choices out there. They have some nice stuff. I couldn't personally comment much on the PK-AS, other than to say they were also a good choice, because I haven't owned one yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. I'm outa here.

• Like 1

I have/had all of the following on several guns, IMHO, the Krebs sight with a fiber optic front post is best, then I like a micro red dot (Docter/Quality Docter clone) and last for function, but looks damn good the HK. Most of the standard red dots Kobra/EoTech I used didn't have any short term reliability issues (and never stayed on long enough to comment on long term) but they just sit too high on the S12 for my taste. There is no perfect answer,a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but the Krebs with a fiber optic front is light weight, sits very low, has no mechanical parts to fail, and has a bright front sight with a good peep to frame it.

post-1866-12568672447188_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So cobra, what you're saying is that if someone disagrees with you, they're automatically a "troll"? 6500rpm prefers the Krebs as well, is he a "troll"? :rolleyes:

You are the one who took this thread in an argumentative/nasty direction by attacking me for the high crime of politely disagreeing with you on something subjective.. but you just can't/won't see that. You are always the "good guy", and anyone who doesn't instantly agree with you and praise your insight is a "troll".

Think whatever you want, man. In the interests of board civility, perhaps we should just endeavor to avoid commenting on one another's posts from here on out.

• Like 2

Sorry about that Ripper. I have to put up with these dolts all the time.

To answer your question, my Kobras were bought for $180 and $150 lightly used, and are definitely not fakes. There are ways to tell the fakes from the real thing....or vice versa. I wouldn't expect numnuts up there to have read about those though. He was probably too busy bitching about something somewhere...

The Eotechs are very nice and that's well known. These are Ruissian guns though, so I personally prefer to use Russian glass on them. Do some research on Russian optics and the choices out there. They have some nice stuff. I couldn't personally comment much on the PK-AS, other than to say they were also a good choice, because I haven't owned one yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. I'm outa here.

Cobra; what do you think about the XS sight mod that I did to my saiga?

I have/had all of the following on several guns, IMHO, the Krebs sight with a fiber optic front post is best, then I like a micro red dot (Docter/Quality Docter clone) and last for function, but looks damn good the HK. Most of the standard red dots Kobra/EoTech I used didn't have any short term reliability issues (and never stayed on long enough to comment on long term) but they just sit too high on the S12 for my taste. There is no perfect answer,a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but the Krebs with a fiber optic front is light weight, sits very low, has no mechanical parts to fail, and has a bright front sight with a good peep to frame it.

You need to try a XS big dot or strip sight post in your Krebs, it's a really nice upgrade. That fiber looks kinda crowded in there to me.

Well, he's edited it out, but be assured, fellow S-12.com members, that the post of Cobra's that I react to above was a whole heaping pile of shit directed my way, for the terrible crime of daring to politely disagree with the almighty Cobra's immaculate opinion on S-12 iron sights.

Yeah you're damn right troll. I edited it out because I wanted to avoid getting your punk ass all riled up like that and taking the thread in A-HOLE different direction...just like you started doing.....got your self into such a little tizzie that you posted three times and didn't even notice I had thrown in the towel before your first one went up...:rolleyes:

Oh yes all you fine S-12 members...please jump on board with me in my daily crusade to make everyone here believe that cobra doesn't know shit and is only here doing what he does to make me and a few other trolls pee our panties.....daily.

Put your big boy pants back on and change your attitude dude. You've been whining about everything on the forum since the cops busted you and took your shit away. Try going a whole day and not posting something negative somewhere...I dare ya.:rolleyes:

If you weren't the troll I've described, you could have let my comment about the dinzag sights (which are made by a FORUM VENDOR, fellow long time member and friend of mine, and someone else who can appreciate the way an AK is supposed to look and act) alone, then just added your "opinion" of the Krebs sights, without having to "disagree with cobra's opinion"...but it's more fun to poke the bear ain't it? Then when he wakes up and shits on you for it, try and turn the whole damn forum against him with comments like that. If anything it's your buddy bigsal down there getting funky about someone (me) not posting his favorite Russian red dot/ black dot sight and also feeling obligated to bring it to everyone's attention....observe v

And then of course has to take it a step further by saying a bunch of other "crazy talk" which he later takes back....:rolleyes:

No Azrial, it's just plain ol TROLL talk....who cares who you bash right?

I agree with ya about the shooting in Scouts. I had many years of good training with long guns thanks to my scouting years, and the years before that thanks to my dad, and before him, my grand dad. We didn't use no damn peep sights either. It was a blade and a slot, and I was shooting the fire off a cigarette with a 22 long with those basic sights on that old Remington pump. And yes Pos taco -lips, I did know about the insert, in fact I commented on that in the post you had so much fun with after the fact, but somehow missed that part....just like you missed the years of good helpful posts by me before you slinked into this joint. And among those posts, many of them singing praise for your beloved KREBS sights....now have all the fun you want and thanks for the couple of nice comments you made finally about me, after trying to demonize me for just helping the OP with MY particular "almighty" opinion.:ded:

Keep your negative comments and "disagreements" away from my posts if you are gonna continue making a habit of it. I can handle someone having a different idea than me. That's different than attempting to discredit me by name. That goes for you and all your other troll friends who can't stand me.

Cobra:> You take this shit to personally.

Ripper:> Its been a great red-dot sight for me. They are a pain in the ass to sight-in due to the lock-nut movement. Glass is typical of com-block technology. Best kit in the sub-$300 range IMHO.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, although I am still confused as fuck, you guys are helping me out a lot. I have been narrowing my choices down.

The Krebs look slick as hell. The info.you gave and pics you all showed me helped a lot.

The PK AS looks good or Kobra. Still researching.

Crusader's mod looks good.

I thought these from Larue looked cool but still have to do more research

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/jpointcloseup.jpg

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/irondot3.jpg

Eotech is out

Edited by THE RIPPER

Just go with the Krebs irons and thank me later. :D

You can always add a red-dot down the road using the side-mount plate built into the receiver, (without fucking with your improved irons).

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, one should always remember that this is a shotgun, not a rifle. Your effective aimed range is ~100 yrds with slugs. A good set of aperture irons, (like the Krebs), is more than good enough. A nice side-mounted micro red-dot makes things even easier.

• Like 1

Just go with the Krebs irons and thank me later. :D

You can always add a red-dot down the road using the side-mount plate built into the receiver, (without fucking with your improved irons).

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, one should always remember that this is a shotgun, not a rifle. Your effective aimed range is ~100 yrds with slugs. A good set of aperture irons is more than good enough. A nice side-mounted micro red-dot makes things even easier.

You know what? I went to call Greg at Carolina Shooters Supply 10 times today to order the Krebs but just couldn't pull the trigger YET. I'm leaning that way pretty hard. What sucks is that I already have this http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 and I will have to lose it if I go that route. I don't mind spending the $ but I hate wasting it.

Edited by THE RIPPER

Let me ask you this, if I get the Krebs. can I add something like this http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-264/AK-Saiga-mount-low/Detail and still be able to see the Krebs under it? Sorry for my ignorance but I've been an AR owner for years. I've never owned anything from the AK platform so as you can see I'm pretty clueless. The Saiga 12 is tied for first in my favorite weapon I own. That's why I am being so anal about it. Once I get the sights to my liking, I'm sure it will be #1. What a Badass weapon!

Edit: Just reread your post #50. What's a good side mount to do that? If I can get that done, it's game over! I can leave you guys alone until it's time to find the right sling. :D

Edited by THE RIPPER

Let me ask you this, if I get the Krebs. can I add something like this http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-264/AK-Saiga-mount-low/Detail and still be able to see the Krebs under it? Sorry for my ignorance but I'v been an AR owner for years. I've never owned anything from the AK platform so as you can see I'm pretty clueless. The Saiga 12 is tied for first in my favorite weapon I own. That's why I am being so anal about it. Once I get the sights to my liking, I'm sure it will be #1. What a Badass weapon!

I can't promise anything, but if you get this product for a pic rail mounted red-dot along with Krebs iron sights, I can't see much of a downside. If/when the optic fails, use the quick-release feature of this rail and go to your irons. If they're Krebs irons, it'll be that much easier to switch to em.

• Like 1

Let me ask you this, if I get the Krebs. can I add something like this http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-264/AK-Saiga-mount-low/Detail and still be able to see the Krebs under it? Sorry for my ignorance but I'v been an AR owner for years. I've never owned anything from the AK platform so as you can see I'm pretty clueless. The Saiga 12 is tied for first in my favorite weapon I own. That's why I am being so anal about it. Once I get the sights to my liking, I'm sure it will be #1. What a Badass weapon!

I can't promise anything, but if you get this product for a pic rail mounted red-dot along with Krebs iron sights, I can't see much of a downside. If/when the optic fails, use the quick-release feature of this rail and go to your irons. If they're Krebs irons, it'll be that much easier to switch to em.

Is there a rail where the mini dot can be kicked off to the side so i can run both at the same time or is that overkill? My primary goal is fast target acquisition with as much accuracy as I need with a Shotgun.

Edited by THE RIPPER

Ripper,

I'm not an exert on sights by any means (being a newbie Saiga owner). But I wanted a Kobra EKP red dot for my S-12 for similar reasons Cobra brings up - Russian gun, Russian scope.

I tried Tantal but nothing in stock. So, I attempted to wade through the net to see about scoring an original. I used a couple of resources to research the Kobra EKP's prior to ordering one. Here are a couple of helpful links:

How to detect a Fake Kobra

Milgeeks review of his Kobra replica

Kalinka Optics and Eastwave both claimed to have original EKP's (not Chinese knockoffs). I ended up ordering one from Kalinka AFTER asking the direct question of its authenticity. As I noted on this thead Kalinka Optics post it was a fake. Luckily Kalinka issued a RMA and I got all but shipping back. Here are some photos of the red dot I received. You can compare to the AR15 forum link above and Milgeeks review to see why I think it's a fake:

101009077.jpg

101009079.jpg

101009080.jpg

One comment briefly about the "detect a fake" thread. I notice the brass/copper reinforcements on the original came up as a valid comparison to the fake which does not have. I think the fakes employ this now because it was on my Kalinka red dot. But as noted on the photos, the lightning cuts, set screw, and "Made in Russia" stamp all showed up on my red dot and should not be on the originals.

I asked Eastwave the same questions. They said they were the authorized NA rep/distributor for Russian scopes. OK :rolleyes: . Let me see some actual photos of the Kobra you have on site - not the stock photo. Here is what they sent:

EKP-1C-03.jpg

EKP-1C-03A.jpg

EKP-1C-03B.jpg

You be the judge. The photos seem slightly different to me. The brass/copper reinforcements look more like rust in pic 3 and their seems to be a set screw in both pics 1 and 3.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong so others (including myslef) may benefit.

Lastly I did reach Tantal via email and he has none in stock. Others on the forum have suggested there are problems getting non-knockoff product. I'm on the list with Tantal so I'll be patient and see what he comes up with and will also keep watching here to see if anyone wishes to part with one they own.

Sorry this was so long but hope it helps.

Edited by John in AZ
  • Like 1

Ripper,

I'm not an exert on sights by any means (being a newbie Saiga owner). But I wanted a Kobra EKP red dot for my S-12 for similar reasons Cobra brings up - Russian gun, Russian scope.

I tried Tantal but nothing in stock. So, I attempted to wade through the net to see about scoring an original. I used a couple of resources to research the Kobra EKP's prior to ordering one. Here are a couple of helpful links:

Kalinka Optics and Eastwave both claimed to have original EKP's (not Chinese knockoffs). I ended up ordering one from Kalinka AFTER asking the direct question of its authenticity. As I noted on this thead Kalinka Optics post it was a fake. Luckily Kalinka issued a RMA and I got all but shipping back. Here are some photos of the red dot I received. You can compare to the AR15 forum link above and Milgeeks review to see why I think it's a fake:

101009077.jpg

thanks, good info to know...

101009079.jpg

101009080.jpg

One comment briefly about the "detect a fake" thread. I notice the brass/copper reinforcements on the original came up as a valid comparison to the fake which does not have. I think the fakes employ this now because it was on my Kalinka red dot. But as noted on the photos, the lightning cuts, set screw, and "Made in Russia" stamp all showed up on my red dot and should not be on the originals.

I asked Eastwave the same questions. They said they were the authorized NA rep/distributor for Russian scopes. OK :rolleyes: . Let me see some actual photos of the Kobra you have on site - not the stock photo. Here is what they sent:

EKP-1C-03.jpg

EKP-1C-03A.jpg

EKP-1C-03B.jpg

You be the judge. The photos seem slightly different to me. The brass/copper reinforcements look more like rust in pic 3 and their seems to be a set screw in both pics 1 and 3.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong so others (including myslef) may benefit.

Lastly I did reach Tantal via email and he has none in stock. Others on the forum have suggested there are problems getting non-knockoff product. I'm on the list with Tantal so I'll be patient and see what he comes up with and will also keep watching here to see if anyone wishes to part with one they own.

Ripper,

101009077.jpg

101009079.jpg

101009080.jpg

EKP-1C-03.jpg

EKP-1C-03A.jpg

EKP-1C-03B.jpg

Get the older coin battery type. I had one just like that, but it broke from the recoil shock.

• Like 1

Ripper,

101009077.jpg

101009079.jpg

101009080.jpg

EKP-1C-03.jpg

EKP-1C-03A.jpg

EKP-1C-03B.jpg

That is some great info. Thanks!

It really sucks about that knock off shit.

As far as being paranoid, I'm with you on that one (just read my posts on this thread)