The truth about WASR 10/63's

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My "rule" cannot be disagreed with. Therefore you are incorrect. Lets look at the factory Russian builds vs, ANY Romy G kit: 1.The Russian factory paint job is superior to the rommy one and anything

Based on what criteria? Kit builds tend to be worse than factory builds as a rule. Im not sure you thought that through.   Russian AK > Romanian AK.... not the other way around.

A quality Non-Century build, using a good 80's Romy G kit, is easily the equal or better than a Saiga.

I have owned a few and they were fine. I'd buy some more of them if they were $350'ish again.

Funny thing is that many of the same people that talk shit about WASRs are the same people that drool over Dracos and Draco Minis.

ENTIRELY different animals. Like saying a SAR1 is the same as a WASR, Nothing wrong with a WASR, but they are different

They're really not. So they have a dimpled receiver, so what? They are made in the same factory as the WASR, by the same people, on the same tooling. Anything that applies to a WASR applies to a Draco as well, up to and including potential for magazine wobble, since ALL AKs can have it to some degree.

I bought my son a WASR 10/63 for X-mas in 2010 for 390.00.its dated 1982 and has all the rommy military stamp proofs all over it,came with two 30rd mags and has been a fun gun to own with no issues at all.

I like mine. As one person stated, for me also, hands on inspection is the way to go. I scrutinize the hell out of any rifle I intend to buy, pistols too (I have installed my own sights on my 1911, they are spot ON. :) ). I do let some things slide if I know they are simple fixes like the iron sight is a little off on an AK as I can adjust them no problem.

Like my Galil. I knew looking at it, it was used. I also knew looking at it, the previous owner may not have had it long or took very good care of it, or both. Looked over the sights (off to the right) saw it could be adjusted, let that slide. Checked top cover wobble, none. Checked gas tube wobble, almost none (good as it is not locked in by the lever the AKs have), checked the action, smooth no hang ups, could feel the recoil spring, good and stiff but not too stiff, spring isn't worn out. Asked for the price, 754 out the door, three 35 round mags and the sling. Done deal, bought it. :)

Otherwise it's a roll of the dice.

I have owned a few and they were fine. I'd buy some more of them if they were $350'ish again.

Funny thing is that many of the same people that talk shit about WASRs are the same people that drool over Dracos and Draco Minis.

ENTIRELY different animals. Like saying a SAR1 is the same as a WASR, Nothing wrong with a WASR, but they are different

They're really not. So they have a dimpled receiver, so what? They are made in the same factory as the WASR, by the same people, on the same tooling. Anything that applies to a WASR applies to a Draco as well, up to and including potential for magazine wobble, since ALL AKs can have it to some degree.

Yeah exactly, there are only cosmetic differences between the two. WASRs have the Y stamp and the SARs have the mag dimples. That's about it.

I actually like some wobble on mine. Easy mag insertion and extraction. Otherwise you might end up with some fight just getting the mag in.

I've seen some FA AKs in third world countries that were rockin on fun mode and the mag is just swaying side to side with wobble and the AK never missed a beat, 30 rounds or more non-stop.

The mag on the AK does not have to be tight to be reliable, I think that's more of a western thing rather than a design actuality.

Mags are a whole other issue though. I only know of one US made mag I can actually trust but only because I could tell who ever designed my ATI steel 40 rounder did a GOOD job on it, the mag almost looks identical to some of the euro 30s I have and they errored mine on the side of a thinner mag so it's stupid-easy to rock and lock.

However I still almost swear by Euro mags, because you know what you're likely going to get.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a WASR 10-63 1985 with the triangle stamp the only easy fix was front sight and the American trigger needed some grinding and polishing ran perfect before that but operates smoother after.Also polished Bolt, Bolt Carrier,and the rails for added sex appeal I have owned two now sold one when needed some cash and have a I.O. Inc STG 2000-c and I prefer the WASR like someone said earlier it is mostly those who drop over a grand on a standard expensive AK Varient trying to justify the high price granted they are a bit better fit and finished but damn It is a AK variant regardless and if it runs it runs If it don't it don't.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked up one dated 1972. The fit is awesome throughout. Arsenal stamps all over,sights are perfect,runs great,shoots tight,etc.

From my understanding,from 2008 up,they are coming in all Romanian made,using de-milled un-issued military (mil-spec)rifles except for the compliance parts we put on. I tend to believe this looking at my own rifle.

dscn4180e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by J308

Not really. once the WASR is imported it is molested by the folks at Century by hogging out the single stack mag opening to fit the double, the trigger assembly is changed, and a few other parts to comply with 922. The Draco pistol

takes the double stack mag and no 922 parts apply so we get them just like they leave Romania.

Not really. once the WASR is imported it is molested by the folks at Century by hogging out the single stack mag opening to fit the double, the trigger assembly is changed, and a few other parts to comply with 922. The Draco pistol

takes the double stack mag and no 922 parts apply so we get them just like they leave Romania.

How often do you hear people complaining about the 922r parts such as G2 trigger group, or the US-made gas piston, or the pistol grip that most people are going to change out anyway, and so on? My point was that the SAR-1, WASR, and Draco are all made in the same factory to generally the same level of quality and fitment. BlenderWizard made it sound as if the SAR-1 or Draco receive special attention on the Cugir assembly line. They don't.

Magwells on WASRs haven't really been an issue for years. They are opened up on a mill, no longer by by hand.

• Like 1

No they dont receive special treatment, i understand. I misunderstood your post. I have a WASR that I bought 3 years

ago and the mag wobbles like an 80 year old woman with double D's at a hoolahoop contest. It runs flawless. It just

took a whole lot more cleaning when I got it. It was filled with sawdust and metal shavings. As for the factory work you are absolutly correct..

To be honest 2008 was a pretty bad time to buy a WASR. Century did a lot of crap work to meet the incredible pre/post-election demand. I bought my WASR in 2011 and the magwell was cut tight and exact, with precise milling marks visible on the edges - versus Dremel chunks all over the fucking place as on some 2008 examples. All mag types fit well, including steel, poly, and bakelite. Never had to fit a mag to the gun or file on the magwell.

finally received my jgsales 1063m, which ive been waiting for them to restock their shelves. ordered mine about 2 weeks agon and actually surprised when i checked their website today, nada/zero....all sold out, thank god i got one. im more surprised how fast the wasrs fly of their shelves as compared to the converted saigas, saigas still for sale there. any way very happy with my purchase, and thought id share some before and after pics

before

43cb46db.jpg

after

4914315b.jpg

cant wait for some range time

To be honest 2008 was a pretty bad time to buy a WASR. Century did a lot of crap work to meet the incredible pre/post-election demand. I bought my WASR in 2011 and the magwell was cut tight and exact, with precise milling marks visible on the edges - versus Dremel chunks all over the fucking place as on some 2008 examples. All mag types fit well, including steel, poly, and bakelite. Never had to fit a mag to the gun or file on the magwell.

The only mags that have a chance in mine are the Bulgarian Bullet mags. They are a little thicker I guess. I have a couple for my WASR specificly. Mine I got in 09 I believe, and it was a mess. I didnt realize I was robbed until

I bought a Saiga and converted it and had one that looked way better.

• 3 weeks later...

By that logic, all Romanian guns are the same

finally received my jgsales 1063m, which ive been waiting for them to restock their shelves. ordered mine about 2 weeks agon and actually surprised when i checked their website today, nada/zero....all sold out, thank god i got one. im more surprised how fast the wasrs fly of their shelves as compared to the converted saigas, saigas still for sale there. any way very happy with my purchase, and thought id share some before and after pics

before

43cb46db.jpg

after

4914315b.jpg

You will hate that folding stock after some range time. That said, I just bought another one. I'd highly recommend the amd65tech cheek riser

• Like 1

before

43cb46db.jpg

after

4914315b.jpg

You will hate that folding stock after some range time. That said, I just bought another one. I'd highly recommend the amd65tech cheek riser

i dont hate the side folding stock, some people do. but yeah they do have the cheek risers to make it just a little better but not 100% had these on my rifles for a while now

005-6.jpg

021-5.jpg

..and a stepside Chevy is an entirely different animal than a flareside Chevy, even if everything else is the same? Come on man. Romanian AKs ARE generally pretty damn close to one another in quality and fit other than minor aesthetic features.

Edited by mancat

Come on man. Romanian AKs ARE generally pretty damn close to one another in quality and fit other than minor aesthetic features.

+1

I have handled actual Romanian Military models while on a Temporary Duty Assignment in Romania and the quality, fit, and finish of them differs very little than the 4 Romanian rifles I own which one is a WASR.

I have owned a WASR for many years and it has always been 100% and I was always confused by all the hate sent their way. Just the other day I picked up another from a private sale for a great price. It had the tang cut and an ACE folder installed. The price was so low for two reasons. The front sight was cranked the whole way over to one side to counter the canted tower and when the ace block was instaled he forgot or was unable to get the second screw and nut in.

Well just tonight I striped it down and beat on it till I was able to get the block out and install the second nut and screw, I then went to work on the front sight tower. I was going to remove the pins and try and get all fancy, but I used a vice and a rubber mallet. It looks close and I hope it shoots as well as my other one.