I am seriously considering getting one of these to help cut down on ammo costs, plus my range does not allow centerfire rifle for plinking. Does anyone have experience with these? Is it worth $400 to $600? What maker would you recommend? Also, I am not going the way of the CMMG/Ciener conversion because the 5.56 twist is all wrong diminishing accuracy. Thank you all in advance for your help.

I had SERIOUSLY considered buying one... even hovered over " the buy it now " button on one on Gunbroker... but held off... honestly, I am kinda glad I did... I kept thinking to myself how nice it would be to shoot cheaply out of the AR15 platform... then I got to thinking more... To what end??

If I want to plink, I already have a BUNCH of 22LR rifles for THAT... If I want super accuracy I already have 3 ruger 10/22's all tweaked out that will shoot 10 rounds under a dime at 50 yards... so WHAT NICHE was it going to fill???

It would complete one of 3 bare lowers that I had sitting around... and cost me $600 bucks to do it... to have a 22LR that wouldnt do anything I couldnt already do, and do FAR better or cheaper.

I figured for $600.00 I could build one HELL of a sweet ruger rifle... on a receiver I already have... but then I would have 4... again... to what end??

In the end, I decided to go bigger... and bought a .458 SOCOM upper for the AR15... a little more pricey than the 22lr to shoot... And it shoots the exact same weight and caliber bullets my rifled slug shotgun does with sabots at just about the same ranges... There's a niche I needed to fill :ph34r::unsure:

Do I still want a dedicated 22LR upper?? not so sure anymore... I would rather have something like a 25 or 30 WSSM or maybe a 204 Ruger... although I already have the .204 ruger in a savage that shoots sub MOA at 100... so again... why spend the money on what I already have and can do better...

I know that is probably not what ya wanted to hear... but that was my experience with one... or non experience... :lol:

:smoke:

Not a bad idea if that is your go to gun and you want lots of practice in various situations. Only thing I would tell you is that when the lead and lubricant of the .22LR ammo build up in the gas tube you may experience a few issues. Answer is to simply fire a round of .223 through it with the original upper and it will clear. That said, I do not own one because my safe is already overflowing. :)

I've got one that I have on an extra lower that I have. It's fun to shoot and looks just like the .223. I usually shoot the dirty Eley standard velocity thru it with the can. It requires more cleaning that my ruger 10/22, but hey, for what it is, it's sure as hell cheaper to shoot, and remember, it's only money, Obama will print plenty more. :)

TacSol makes a great dedicated upper. The CMMG "bolt" kit works fine and groups OK for IPSC-type practice (bullseye shooting at 100 yards...not so much...but then again, who cares about bullseye?)

Alex

I have a CZ-22 Upper for my M4 and like it quite a bit. I used to lay out kill houses with yellow barrier tape in the woods near my home when I was in SC. I had my GF put out reduced size silos I would print on Legal sized heavy paper. She would lay out hostages, father and sons, etc. I would then do my walk through with the .22 upper in place.

It was great inexpensive practice. and when we did our quals I was easily the fastest and smoothest there. The big secret to this stuff is to learn it the correct way, then do it, do it, and do it again.

I have no doubt at what a great training aid this is. I could never have fired as much .223 and cheaply, safely and quietly as I did with the .22RF.