My version of Saiga 5.45

Ok. I got her on Wednsday, and had to wait for the parts to show up on Friday. Today I had some time so I converted it to PG configuration.

You can see in the 1st set of pictures how it looked after the PG mod.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

Just the regular stuff.

Now. I managed to recieve a Front sight block today after I did the initial conversion. So I took the FSB and gas block off, and managed to squeeeze a new FSGB on.

Here are the results.

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

I am still missing the bayonet lug (ar-15 thin barrel mount lug) yes I am going to use ar type bayonet. Don't hate me please but I could not find a reasonoble lug that I could use for the AK bayonet. (I am thinking of ordering a FSB with bayonet lug and cutting off a slice that has the lug, then installing that ring with lug in front of my gas block sight. maybe that will work)

Also I am waiting on a TABUK style flash hider. It is 3.6" long. So I am going to have the tabuk flash hider permanently attached on a shorter barrel in order to make it legal length. This way there won't be any barrel showing in front of the gas block sight. Just the bayonet lug and flash hider.

Now, because I live in Michigan my rifle has to be 30" or I have to register it as a pistol, have a sales record that I would have to take to the Sheriff, and carry a registration card for that "pistol". Sooo I am sticking with the fixed stock because I do not want to register my rifle as a pistol. Unfortunatly, One have to follow ones state rules.(despite if they make sence or not)

Also the gas block sight is not pinned on, it was such a tight squeeze that it won't come off while I shoot a small group in order to see if the rifle cycles reliably and see if my sights are somewhat aligned, after which I will drill the pin hole and install the retaining pin(s)

• Like 1

when you took everything off the barrel why didnt u put on a lower handguard retainer just curious.

Agreed. i thought it looked just find with the original front sight as well, not to mention a lot less work. Also, the stock handguard looked good with that configuration too. If only it was better ventilated. Clean, Simple, Perfect...

when you took everything off the barrel why didnt u put on a lower handguard retainer just curious.

Agreed. i thought it looked just find with the original front sight as well, not to mention a lot less work. Also, the stock handguard looked good with that configuration too. If only it was better ventilated. Clean, Simple, Perfect...

Because I wanted to keep the original handguard that came with my rifle, I do not like the top and bottom stile.

and I wanted the front sight to be on a gas block. Not way out there in the front. I just like it this way. Besides most new ak variants are this way anyhow.

ok gotcha will an ar15 bayonet work with the tabuk flash hider?

I would amagine that I could make it work if it does not to begin with. All that could be different is the hole dia on the bayonet, I can always open it up if needed.

Well came back from the range. Shot about 3 30 round bulgarian mags. Yes I used 30 rounders without bullet guide and had no jams. I am still going to install one.

I had a double tap at one point.... Don't know what thats all about. Perhaps my pin was sticking just like I was worried about in my previous post. The rifle cycles great! No problem with function what so ever.

Unfortunatly looks like I installed the sight block canted about 2deg. I was shooting low and to the left. I could probebly move my front sight post all the way to the left and get right on target, but I am going to pull the pins out from the block and rotate it a little that way my sight post stays in the center.

Other then that Im extremely pleased with my conversion. And I managed to keep good groups despite the fact that it was not shooting at point of aim.

I will add the final pics of the rifle painted and having the new flash hider some time later this week.

• 1 month later...

Very clean.

Be sure and post pictures in its final configuration!

As you requested.

IMG_1596.jpg

For some reason it looks like there are oil spots on the rifle, it looks that way from the flash I presume. The color is Vltor Black, I mixed just the right ammount of hardener to make it not glossy. I have done 4 duracoat jobs so far and this is the best color imo.

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

As you can see I have the folowing mods:

Pistol grip re-verted to the original configuration.

Red star arms Adjustable trigger installed (USA)

Tapco Saw grip (USA)

K-Var Nato length buttstock with cleanning kit comp (USA)

Ribbed dust cover from a bulgarian AK-74

Front Sight block Krebs (USA) with the original front sight post (saiga) and original rear sight (saiga)

3.6" Tabuk copy flash hider from Nodak Spud (USA) installed on a threaded barrel and permanently TIG welded all the way around. Making the total barrel length of 16.875"

Original Gas tube with 6 port holes drilled .1875 DIA in order to minimize the corrosive gases from reaching the reciever

CNC Warior (USA) stainless steel gas piston. AK-74 Length

Original (Bulgarian) magazine body with Arsenal (USA) followers and floorplates on all of my magazines for 2 extra (USA) parts

I have also polished the bolt, bolt carrier and the trigger grouop to be mirror smooth on the sides (edges) that count. The bolt carrier rides back and forth like butter. :) Trigger pull is excellent with the adjustable milled trigger and the polishing job. She is a wonderfull shooter.

Enjoy

Edited by Deussne

Well came back from the range. Shot about 3 30 round bulgarian mags. Yes I used 30 rounders without bullet guide and had no jams. I am still going to install one.

I had a double tap at one point.... Don't know what thats all about. Perhaps my pin was sticking just like I was worried about in my previous post. The rifle cycles great! No problem with function what so ever.

Unfortunatly looks like I installed the sight block canted about 2deg. I was shooting low and to the left. I could probebly move my front sight post all the way to the left and get right on target, but I am going to pull the pins out from the block and rotate it a little that way my sight post stays in the center.

Other then that Im extremely pleased with my conversion. And I managed to keep good groups despite the fact that it was not shooting at point of aim.

I will add the final pics of the rifle painted and having the new flash hider some time later this week.

Oh I forgot to add to this. I shot this rifle many times now and every once in a while I hear two bangs... Well when I thought originally that was a double tap it was not.. The way I discovered this is I loaded my mag with 3 rounds and kept doing it untill I hear that, then I check my rounds and sure enough it did not shoot 2. I did this about 5 times, verifying every time to see that only 1 round was used. My conclusion, is that I hear my bolt carrier slide forward ans smack the front triunion. Since the recoil/sound is some what lower then other rifles I manage to hear it with the corner of my ear now and then. LOL.....

The canted block was fixed a while ago too. I shoot 2-3" groups standing up at 50ft with wolf 60gr hallow points. Once I get PKAS red dot on it It should improve (I hope.)

Oh I forgot to add to this. I shot this rifle many times now and every once in a while I hear two bangs... Well when I thought originally that was a double tap it was not.. The way I discovered this is I loaded my mag with 3 rounds and kept doing it untill I hear that, then I check my rounds and sure enough it did not shoot 2. I did this about 5 times, verifying every time to see that only 1 round was used. My conclusion, is that I hear my bolt carrier slide forward ans smack the front triunion. Since the recoil/sound is some what lower then other rifles I manage to hear it with the corner of my ear now and then. LOL.....

The canted block was fixed a while ago too. I shoot 2-3" groups standing up at 50ft with wolf 60gr hallow points. Once I get PKAS red dot on it It should improve (I hope.)

Please give an in depth review of the PK-AS when you get it and use it some. Thanks