S12 Add-on mag extender..

Make-  Did you just use the spring from your eight rounder in there?

I used both 8 and 5 rndr springs. I attached them with (I don't know what is the right word...) "Shrinking sock", you know: the tube what you put on for example electric wires and when you heat it, it shrinks and makes protection to the connection?

Also doesn't the screws on the insides bind the shells?

Since I'm not that good with english language, I made a picture of those screw holes... :-)

Afterall; picture says more than thousand words...

--Make

post-1179-1113454642.jpg

He used heat shrink tubing on the springs and counter sunk the screw holes. I would have never thought of using heat shrink to connect the springs, thats using the noodle! How has that held up to use?

Edited by mopeman
He used heat shrink tubing on the springs and counter sunk the screw holes. I would have never thought of using heat shrink to connect the springs, thats using the noodle! How has that held up to use?

There are several types of "heat shrink tubes". The one I used gets hard after heating and shrinking (other type I have stays flexible...). I used 2 about 10 cm (4") pieces, one each side of the spring to make it solid. I'll take a picture later, if someone is interested...

Didn't want to tin or weld, cause the metal used on springs might get weaker, if heated too much, and break or bend...

Has held up well so far...

I'd like to hear how others have made their junctions?

--Make

Would be nice to be able to store mag loaded in well with spring tension relieved, yet be able to aply tension without removing the mag even if it would be a low cap mag. Maybe like the chinese nlfd with the key on the back to wind the spring. Or maybe some thing like the thermold extended mag at www.deltaforce.com

Thermold AR-15, 45 Round Magazines

Item # TMS3045

$110.95 $49.95 On Sale!

Thermold, supplier of M-16 magazines to the Cadadian military, has a proven track record of performance. This model is like the original 30 round mag but incorporates a sleeve built into the baseplate that lets you extend it from standard length to longer with the push of a tab. The extended mode 45 cartridges may be loaded for increased firepower with fewer mag changes. If you leave the magazine loaded for a time, keep 30 rounds loaded in it in extended mode, this will reduce the chances of "spring fatique" and give increased service life. Made for Mil-Spec DuPont Zytel and has a heavy duty magazine spring for flawless feeding.

Edited by cscharlie
  • 2 weeks later...