My wife has some gold jewlery she doesn't want and she was thinking about trying cash 4 gold. With gold being so high; the timing might be right. Anyone ever try it? Is it worth it?

I saw where they had many complaints for not paying fair market value.

They responded by bumping up the rate a little, but it's still too low from what I've heard.

Try some jewelry stores, pawn shops, etc. and you'll probably get at least as much or more.

I'd try to get at least 3 offers before deciding to sell it.

My wife has some gold jewlery she doesn't want and she was thinking about trying cash 4 gold. With gold being so high; the timing might be right. Anyone ever try it? Is it worth it?

I saw where they had many complaints for not paying fair market value.

They responded by bumping up the rate a little, but it's still too low from what I've heard.

Try some jewelry stores, pawn shops, etc. and you'll probably get at least as much or more.

I'd try to get at least 3 offers before deciding to sell it.

Good advice! :super:

If you see it on TV you can be almost guaranteed it is a SCAM!

Don't bother with that TV crap, they pay way under market value for your gold... which is a bit over $1000 per ounce now.

http://www.goldprice.org/spot-gold.html

I concur with Spartacus, hit some jewelry stores and see what they offer... since you're in Vegas, I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding a shit ton of them :) The main problem with pawn shops, especially in the Vegas area is that they've got a buyer's market (gambling addicts, unemployed people, etc).

+1 on the other guys.

Try jewelers first & hawk-shops next...

You can tell from the tone of CFG commercials that their trying to low-ball.

They have all these people saying "I have this broken, useless shit gold & I got $500.00!"

They likely sent in thousands worth to get $500.

Jewelers (REAL JEWELERS THAT ARE GOLDSMITHS) that can re-make jewelry are likely your best bet. Living in Vegas, you likely have more than a few to choose from.

Edit: also jewelers may pay more for the value of the jewelry as opposed to just bullion prices.

Edited by Paulyski

also jewelers may pay more for the value of the jewelry as opposed to just bullion prices.

Absolutely, as well they should. 2 troy oz. of silver will cost you maybe 40 bucks if you get simple rounds like Pandas or something. The exact same amount of silver jumps probably 10-15 bucks if they are American Eagles. Take the same amount of silver and smith it into a simple chain, the value has increased to $150 at least, depending on who you buy it from.

Gold does have some different forces acting on it, but as far as I know the same rules apply, just scaled up in price. So yeah, weigh out your gold for a reference and then go shop the jewelers.

Hold onto the gold.

OR

Spend the money that you get from it on something worth value in an economic crisis.

I strongly feel that its's coming.

You can say that I'm being NEGATIVE and see the glass as "half empty".

I say that I'm being REALISTIC and see it as a glass with fuckin' water in it.

Check this out

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

It's a little confusing but move your cursor over each # and it will explain what each means. (in the top box)

We're pretty fucked!

Our government is devaluing the $ at Breakneck Speed so that gold that you are holding will be much more valuable than you think.

Where the $ will be valuable only for when you need to wipe your ass.

Just my opinion.

Edited by THE RIPPER

They tell you about "UNWANTED" "OLD" "USELESS" or "OUT OF FASHION" Gold. Sorry pal, but keep yer freakin' gold. Have a yard sale or sell your kid, but the gold will ALWAYS be wanted, desired by others, and a valuable commodity! Just say that the dollar sinks so low that it makes the great depression look happy, and you have real gold in your hand! Even if the world suddenly becomes a peaceful happy utopia, folks will always value gold. It is real, it has substance, you can hold it, wear it, it's SHINY!

Just think how much they are spending on advertising to get your gold!

• Like 1

Unless you mean the infamous "SHTF total socioeconomic Mad Max collapse", I would argue that we've been in an economic crisis for some time.

There is logic behind the "hold on to your gold" argument, as long as you realize that you cannot eat gold or pay your grocery bill in doubloons. Even in Argentina and Zimbabwe, they still use fiat currency for trade just like we do, so it is wise to have a stockpile of USD as well as precious metal if you can afford it.

Unless you mean the infamous "SHTF total socioeconomic Mad Max collapse", I would argue that we've been in an economic crisis for some time.

There is logic behind the "hold on to your gold" argument, as long as you realize that you cannot eat gold or pay your grocery bill in doubloons. Even in Argentina and Zimbabwe, they still use fiat currency for trade just like we do, so it is wise to have a stockpile of USD as well as precious metal if you can afford it.

I agree with you.

We have been in an economic crisis for some time.

The spending has been ridiculous for years.

Now it is getting kicked into overdrive.

The outcome and consequences of all of the printing of $, spending and borrowing is unknown. (For now)

I really don't see anything positive about it.

I did state that this is just my opinion.

The Debt Clock is not my opinion.

It is fact.

As far as what type of collapse or being a

"SHTF total socioeconomic Mad Max collapse"

Don't really know what's going to happen.

Maybe we can bump this thread up in the next two years or so.

My response to the OP's question was to hold the gold.

For he did post "My wife has some gold jewlery she doesn't want....."

I wouldn't get rid of any gold at hand right now.

I'd wait to see what happens for MAYBE it can come in handy.

If things get better, sell it then.

I agree with everything RobRez posted.

Sell SOMETHING ELSE now that won't have any value in this type of scenario.

Basically, when there is potential for a collapse, Hold the Gold.

Edited by THE RIPPER
  • Like 1

our local houston news did a report about cash for gold. i figured it would be a crap payout before watching it. they were only paying about 10 - 20% of the value of the gold weight. pawn shops would pay in the range generally of 40 - 70% and jewelry and coin stores would pay between 60 - 80%. the first jewelry/coin shop i started going to when i was kid, was ran by a WWII vet that did undercover work in germany during the war. i kept going there since he was vet and a mason, like my grandpa. he taught me a lot about collecting properly. he would keep reccommending items and all of those i got from him have gone up in value significantly. to bad i was a kid and could only get the cheap reccommendations.

I don't think I'd sell anything to anyone if I know they're gonna try to make a solid profit from it. I had a bunch of camera lenses and such that wasn't high-end stuff, but still quite desirable, and in barely-used condition. The total value of the stuff probably was around $700 as far as what I paid. Tried taking it to a pawn shop, they gave me the rather insulting offer of $120 for the lot. I took it to a camera shop next, one that bought used equipment, they gave me an offer of $250, better, but still not even close. Told them, I would try eBay instead. The guy told me "yeah, you MIGHT get more money, but then you MIGHT list all of this stuff over and over again for months and no one would buy it." I put the stuff on eBay later that day, all at fair market value, set it up with a "Buy it Now" option. One lens sold that same night, and all of the stuff sold without any item having to be relisted even once, and I broke even too.

That's the thing, any time you sell to someone who you know is going to use your goods to make a profit, you'll NEVER get a fair price. If they gave you full value, they can't make any money because in order for it to be profitable, they'd have to price it significantly higher than full value, and informed consumers would never buy it. The only way they can charge consumers something close to fair price, is if they buy it for much less than the fair price. They have no choice but to screw you over.

We used to buy scrap gold all the time at our pawn shop. We would post today's prices from the Newspaper on the wall, and pay 30% less based on true weight. That was our profit on the buy, and if you did not like it you were welcome to take your business down the street. Most folks were happy with our deal and we had no need to cheat anyone.

When I had shoulder surgery earlier this year, and insurance was lagging in payment (one month behind), and had to visit a pawn shop, I took a $200+ gold necklace (from years ago) to them and they offered me $30 for it. I know damn well it was worth much more than that, but what can you say, they are in the business to make money. DO NOT pawn anything. You would make MUCH more money on ebay or a jeweler if you have one in your are. I don't know about Gold-4-Less, or whatever they call themselvse, but you can be assured of ONE thing, they are there to prey on others misfortunes. JMHO. My advice would be to sell something else less volitile, or get a second job or something if you needed the money. Don't pawn your guns or you will be screwed 7 ways to Sunday.