Looks like perfect timing for this section!

I'm thinking about getting one of the Draco AK pistols. Part of the attraction is getting a stamp for it and throwing a stock on it. I'm a little confused on if this would make it an AOW or an SBR.

I was under the assumption that putting a stock on a weapon maufactured as a pistol originaly would make it an AOW.

Here is the original thread where people are talking about the pistol, and there is even a picture of one with a Ace folder on it (like I would want to do if I buy one).

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Moe Zambeak

If you put a stock on it, it's an SBR. SBRs can have VFGs.

If you ONLY put a VFG on it, it's an AOW. You can never put a stock on an AOW (unless you spend another $200)

That picture you refer to (and the other similar pictures) are not pictures of pistols, but of SBRs.

Edited by nalioth

Thanls. So the best route would be to put a stock on it first, then just add the grip later?

To put the stock on, you'll need the SBR tax stamp. After you get the tax stamp, you can put whatever mall-ninja-toys you want on it (unless one of the toys is a suppressor [that's another stamp]).

If you get the AOW stamp first (for just the VFG), you'll end up paying $400 (for two tax stamps) to change it over to a SBR.

Edited by nalioth

If you get the AOW stamp first (for just the VFG), you'll end up paying $400 (for two tax stamps) to change it over to a SBR.

Depending on where you live I suppose? Here in AZ an AOW stamp is $5. Or is that just for domestic firearms?

No sir.

It costs $200 to make any NFA weapon.

It's only $5 to transfer an AOW.

Do you think a class 3 manufacturer is gonna screw on a VFG on your personal pistol for you for nothing (essentially manufacturing an NFA weapon), just so you can get a $5 transfer?

In my neck of the woods, it's cheaper to pay the guv the $200 'making tax' and do it yourself.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

Ahhh yes, transfer an AOW. It is all making sense now. One of my friends just got a Mossberg Cruiser and is putting a 10" barrel kit on it and was talking crap because I have to spend $200 on a stamp if I want a short barrel on my S12 and he only had to spend $5 on his. Thanks for clearing that up Nalioth.

If you showed up at your FFL/SOT with the weapon and had the VFG mailed to his office, to avoid contructive intent issues, he shouldn't charge you all that much to attach and registar it as a AOW.

His fee, I'm gunna assume, $50 plus the cost of the VFG, plus the $5 AOW trans fee isnt that bad....personally I'd just go the SBR route instead of pistol to AOW to SBR because you can always add a VFG to a rifle/SBR for no cost and cut out the BS run around with waiting to RE-registar with the ATF.

Go from pistol to SBR = $200 Form 1 ATF fee, engraving the receiver $50(assumed), cost of stock.

I got a Remington 870 AOW as my 1st NFA weapon. At the time the $200 seemed a bit much. Now I'm about to re-register it as an SBR because guns need stocks. The things just no fun to shoot not to mention inaccurate as hell. Seriously, go SBR or don't waste your time.

Go from pistol to SBR = $200 Form 1 ATF fee, engraving the receiver $50(assumed), cost of stock.<<---- I'd go this personally.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. Running a shorty upper as a AR pistol, while going through the process to get the lower SBR'd.

I got a Remington 870 AOW as my 1st NFA weapon. At the time the $200 seemed a bit much. Now I'm about to re-register it as an SBR because guns need stocks. The things just no fun to shoot not to mention inaccurate as hell. Seriously, go SBR or don't waste your time.

Youre gonna SBR a shotgun? Interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Youre gonna SBR a shotgun? Interesting!

I see what you did there. :D

• 1 month later...

I'd love to SBR a Draco, but unfortunately MI doesn't yet allow for SBR, but they do allow AOW. Still, I'm not sure I'd want to spend $200 just to put a Vert grip on it. It might feel nice to hold, but not worth it to me I don't think.

Corbin

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to SBR a Draco, but unfortunately MI doesn't yet allow for SBR, but they do allow AOW. Still, I'm not sure I'd want to spend $200 just to put a Vert grip on it. It might feel nice to hold, but not worth it to me I don't think.

Corbin

You could probably get it done for less than that, if you know a friendly manufacturer; they can "manufacture" the pistol as an AOW, do the engraving, and transfer the weapon back to you. FFL in my area does similar stuff for $75 plus the transfer tax.

• 1 month later...

there are two reasons to Make AOW rather than SBS:

1. you want to be able to arbitrarily throw it in your trunk & do interstate travel w/o sending in the notification of out of state travel form.

2. you live in a state where SBS or SBR are illegal.

The fact that you can tranfer an already made AOW for only $5 is also nice. But is is $200 to make the AOW initially.

Tactically, there might be some very limited circumstances where a AOW coudld serve as somer sort of last ditch close defense weapon perhaps, but having a shoulder stock makes the weapon way more useful & versitile.

If you can SBR the AK pistol then just do that, then you can have folding stock & VFG.

Edited by rightwingnut

Corbin

IMO it simply isn't worth to spend a dime to make a pistol a AOW. just grab the magazine, it's basically the same thing, it's just a few inches back.

actually, an AOW has to have never been a rifle shotgun or pistol. I dont think even an sbr or sbs can go aow, due to the fact that it had a buttstock attached to it.

I'm certain you're correct about long guns and sbr/sbs not being legal to convert to AOW, but almost as certain that pistols can be manufactured into AOWs.

Edited to add: I recall having read an ATF letter on wallet holsters explaining that wallet holsters which conceal the weapon in a way that allows it to be fired turn the pistol into an AOW, and that the pistol must be re-manufactured as an AOW in order to remain in compliance. This letter pertained specifically to those little mini-revolvers.

Edited by Shandlanos