What is the most dependable S-12 mag

Hello

I have an S12 that refuses to function with anything but factory 5 or 8 rounders. No AGP's (G1 or G2), no Surefires. Haven't tested my drums in it yet. Don't own any ProMags. My other S12's run 'em fine, so I don't think it's the mag's that are faulty.

Just can't overlook that we are not dealing with Rolexes here, tolerances are not that tight, if you know what I mean......

That being said, give me a handful of Izzy 8's for serious work....

JMHO..

guido in Houston

I have 7 AGP 10 rd mags, had a few problems until I took them apart and sprayed a light layer of dry graphite in the bodys, That seems to have helped a lot. That and I did the homemade conversion to make them Gen 2 mags. No failures now, and they can sit loaded and still function.

The surefire mag I keep in my shotty, fully loaded. It works every time all of the time. no complaints

My MD drum, the only real problem I have had with it was trying to hip fire with the stock folded using light birdshot loads. Wasn't the drums fault, I kind of "limpwristed" the shotty. I extended the stock and shoulder fired the rest of the drum and it ran fine

I guess all in all I have been lucky, but I have had good luck with all of my mags.

THe russian 5 rounder is of course a no brainer, it always works.

...give me a handful of Izzy 8's for serious work...

I agree in principle. Since "a handful of Izzy 8's" would likely run ~$450, (if we're only talking 3 mags), I much prefer reasonably priced Surefire products.

Serious work = serious $$$ :killer:

• Like 1

So, Allmightysam have you tried keeping that SureFire mag loaded for a few weeks & then shooting with it?

Now, do tell me how great it works for you.

What are you trying to say? Has a Surefire mag that you've done that with failed on you? What brand of mag do you prefer?

I loaded my S-12 SureFire mag 1 week before I went shooting, 1st & 2nd round refused to chamber due to weakened mag spring? I pulled the rest of the ammo out & reloaded it, then it worked fine. I can't find any mag that I can keep loaded,that I can trust with my life. I find the Saiga 12 Ga to be so far ahead of it's time that the mags have yet to catch up. I guess I'll just cram it back into the safe & pull out my old No Knock Warrant gun, a 1919 with a crankfire & a 200 round ammo belt, at least until some manufacturer learns how to make a Heavy Duty mag spring for my Saiga.

like they always say youre gun aint shit unless it's belt fed!

I own a Pro Mag which functioned perfectly out of the box. I did have to fit it to the S-12 but all my aftermarket magazines had to be fitted. My AGP Gen II works well but I did have to take a fired steel case and hand cycle it to smooth out the rough spots to make it work right. The Taiwanese five rounders also work well. I don't have any experience with Surefire mags so I can't comment on them.

To anyone who doesn't want his Pro Mag magazines can give them to me, I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

• 4 weeks later...

If I take the loss, I think that they will take the much bigger loss.

Negative feedback that they are getting on this forum will make their loss much greater than mine.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. People have been warning others for years on the Internet not to buy Promag, but people keep doing it in spite of the warnings. 99% of what they produce is crap. Those unethical bastards deserve to go out of business.

I'm pretty new to the Saiga and the forum.

Never heard the warnings.

Definitely learned the hard way.

I did call today and talked to a guy named Carlos.

I told him that they are getting some serious negative feedback on this forum.

He SEEMED to be concerned but I guess we will find out soon how he handles it.

Paulyski

I told him about you so he is expecting your call.

Actually anybody here who has ever had a problem,

call and ask for Carlos.

He is expecting calls from people on this forum.

Hopefully, I lit a fire under his ass and I'm not just wishful thinking.

If it doesn't work, quite a few people will hit this thread and see the warning.

Eventually, they will feel the pain.

Anyway

Lets see what happens. :Johnboy:

Time will tell.

Just wanted to bump this thread to let you guys know that I received my mag in the mail today.

It took a while but I got it.

HaHaHa...

Last week No-mag said they sent it back to me...

It still hasn't arrived.

I bought 1 surefire 12rd locally & I am waiting for one I bought from eric1785 on this board. (it is in transit)

I just disassembled my AGP & sanded the insides with 150 then 240 grit & sprayed ZEP silicone in it.

Upon disassembly of the surefire I see why it may be more reliable than the rest.

It is seamless & smooth.(the seam on the outside is from the mold splitting apart to release the finished body) They must have spent a mint :dollar: on the tooling for their injection molding tool. I see NO flashing whatsoever on the inside. No seam either. It seems to be a true 1 piece body?! I would love to see their tool & the process! (I used to be a tech in a plastics plant a LONG time ago.)

This may explain why they engineered them the way they did, to be able to be cut down to different sizes... A tool that complex costs a small fortune to have made.

Anyhow, when my friend's girl stops riding his ass & lets him go play, I'll go out & test it & hopefully be stoked.

...give me a handful of Izzy 8's for serious work...

I agree in principle. Since "a handful of Izzy 8's" would likely run ~$450, (if we're only talking 3 mags), I much prefer reasonably priced Surefire products.

Serious work = serious $$$ :killer:

Damn right!

I would gladly pay $150 each if Russian 8 rounders were around.

What are your family's lives worth?

If you have a FTF/FTE during battle, the enamy isn't gonna just wait for you to clear the chamber.

:blues:

HaHaHa...

Last week No-mag said they sent it back to me...

It still hasn't arrived.

I bought 1 surefire 12rd locally & I am waiting for one I bought from eric1785 on this board. (it is in transit)

I just disassembled my AGP & sanded the insides with 150 then 240 grit & sprayed ZEP silicone in it.

Upon disassembly of the surefire I see why it may be more reliable than the rest.

It is seamless & smooth.(the seam on the outside is from the mold splitting apart to release the finished body) They must have spent a mint :dollar: on the tooling for their injection molding tool. I see NO flashing whatsoever on the inside. No seam either. It seems to be a true 1 piece body?! I would love to see their tool & the process! (I used to be a tech in a plastics plant a LONG time ago.)

This may explain why they engineered them the way they did, to be able to be cut down to different sizes... A tool that complex costs a small fortune to have made.

Anyhow, when my friend's girl stops riding his ass & lets him go play, I'll go out & test it & hopefully be stoked.

OK.

The sanded & siliconed AGP worked flawlessly.(after tightening the screws, I backed them off 1/2 turn (I used loctite so they wouldn't back out))

The surefire 12 ate crap. But in it's defence I only fired 2 12-round loads through it because I only brought a total of 60 rounds of 2 3/4 #6 shot.

Next time up I will be bringing a few hundred rounds & a hacksaw to make the surefire-12 that I just bought new & the one I just received from eric1785 into 8 rounders if I can't get them good after 100 rounds apiece.

Also the promag (3rd gen) just arrived, so I'll waste my time & some ammo on it just for shits & grins.

So now I have 2 dependable mags. 1 Rusky 5 & 1 AGP 10.

I'm getting there.

As for Chaos's steel mag... I have the highest hopes... Do us good Camron... PLEASE! Do us good.

We will all be watching for the reviews.

I promise, if you make it as dependable as the Ruskys, I'll buy a bunch.

post-19652-12608275919394_thumb.gif

Edited by Paulyski

Figured I'd update.

I did a layman's interior diameter check with a few rounds on the pro-mag, just because it seems too tight...

My suspicions are confirmed. It is hard as hell to load. The shells are bigger than the I.D. of the mag, I am certain it will not feed.

I'm not even gonna waste my time, ammo & gas testing it. I'll boil first... These things are ridiculous!

LaymansInteriordiametercheck1.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

they say the proper method is to boil and bake.

Don't use a file and a dremil tool like i did you'll void the warrenty... If you know that means something to you. I just consider it cutting my losses.

I figure i can make very effective use of them making them into dispay stands for my S-12s. I'll chop the bottom off level to the top and figure out a way to fit it to a wood block or plate. The effect should be similar to whats seen in GoGuns pics(etac). Hell if it works out nice maybe i can sell them on gunbroker! :lolol:

• Like 1

I was given one at the saiga shoot that did that. When I took the steel feed lips off the round would pass right through.

So I bend the feedlips to be more or less the same size as the mag body and put a little glue on to help it stay put. I have not test fired it so I have no idea if it fixed it (I have doubts).