I would love to see a wound profile of the Brown Bear 122 HP round. I saw some hog pictures of HPs from an AK and the damage was amazing.

In the 5.56 wound profiles are ALL from 20" barrels. The damage done by the M855 62 grain from a 14.5 inch M4 barrel is much less.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True. I consider ~200m to be mid-range effective distance for the 7.62x39. Within ~400m, (perhaps more with a good scope), I think the 7.62x39 is an extremely lethal cartridge. That effective range

There is no doubt either can be effective though there is a lot of debate on just how important ballistic gel results are since the human body even naked may not be subjected to simular enough results

You guys are forgetting one of the most important arguments against the 5.56 compared to the 7.62x39 or .308 for civilian use... 5.56 is boring. Everyone here is talking about the combat effectivene

Posted Images

Because you happen to mention cheaper ammo to stock pile, here is a major relative example to compare to

to cheap fragmenting 5.56 M193. Wolf Military classic JHP 8M3 a fragmenting bullet.

I have seen 70-100 lb deer shot with this in a broad side behind the shoulder shot and it did not exit. It fragmented

and created a horrific wound track through to the opposite end just under the ribs. It fragments relatively similar to m193 but with a

much larger bullet.

Aside from that Hornady Vmax 0.66 a round http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=116209

Some of the M193 prices show as high as 0.50 a round.

A $0.16 +/- is not that bad for a better performing alternative for a stock pile of ammo.

So comparing apples to apples with relatively similar mechanistic bullets 7.62x39 produces more wounding

than .223/ 5.56.

I've seen what a wolf HP in x39 does to about the same size deer. Very similar results. The bullets jacket fragmented off and lodged itself in meat everywhere around the wound track, and the lead core made a small exit roughly the same size as the entrance. It was very decieving to look at it befor cutting it open.

For .223 I've got easy access to 55gr FMJ at just under 0.40 a round. Another bonus for me is that it comes in brass, and the extractors on ARs don't like the steel casings.

I have seen reloads with hornadys available though.

I've seen what a wolf HP in x39 does to about the same size deer. Very similar results. The bullets jacket fragmented off and lodged itself in meat everywhere around the wound track, and the lead core made a small exit roughly the same size as the entrance. It was very decieving to look at it befor cutting it open.

For .223 I've got easy access to 55gr FMJ at just under 0.40 a round. Another bonus for me is that it comes in brass, and the extractors on ARs don't like the steel casings.

I have seen reloads with hornadys available though.

Are you refering to Wolf Black Box JHP or Military Classic JHP with the 8M3 bullet?

The one in the picture fragmented is Military Classic.

Edited by my762buzz

Are you refering to Wolf Black Box JHP or Military Classic JHP with the 8M3 bullet?

The one in the picture fragmented is Military Classic.

Ahhhh, it was Wolf Black Box JHP

Sorry for any confusion, i should have specified.

Edited by Nailbomb

Just give this a try: fill a milk jug all the way to the top with water, put on the cap, and shoot it with a .223. Watch it literally explode, and then talk to me :super:

The 7.62x39 makes a bigger explosion when allowed to expand quickly.

Watch round 3 that is cut open enough to really expand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Suupernintendo#p/u/14/SUUSk_mDlow

And again watch round 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/Suupernintendo#p/u/7/RMhaSgck6E0

I can't imagine anyone surviving that if they get hit in the chest and their organs become goo.

Edited by my762buzz