Why doesn't Ford bring back the Festiva?

The one I had got 49.7 MPG on the highway, it always started, had almost 200,000 miles on it without being rebuilt and still ran good!

They were low priced for a new car.

The looks I would get when I passed people on the interstate at 75 or 80 MPH were funny! It was like people were insulted that little motorized roller skate could go faster that they were!:lolol:

They look like a nerdmobile, but four bolts would remove the back seat, and you could fit all kinds of stuff in through the hatch. I remember hauling someone's 28"screen TV home for them. It was still in the box. I just turned it sideway, and slide it right in the back.

Looks like they consider 40MPG good for a hybird and they are as expensive as a regular vehicle.

In this economy, and with fuel prices like they are, if Ford would start making these again wouldn't they corner the green car market?

What do you guys and gals think?

Yeah, little cars are fun. Just like having a street legal go-kart.

I had an '88 Yugo that I bought new. I drove it 120 miles a day back & forth to work to keep the miles off of my new Mustang.

It made it through snow, floods, everything. It was almost like having a little Jeep.

I agree that it's a simple formula that has worked well for decades, small car with a small engine gets great mileage.

Now they build cars that have an engine AND motors, banks of batteries, and gonzo computer controls all to get LESS mileage?!

Plus these "hybrids" have stupid high price tags...... I don't get it either.

i've got a sweet lil red '89 carbed 5spd Festiva L sitting in my driveway. i've had 5 people either come by the house and or leave notes on the windshield wanting to buy it from me.

i tailed a semi once for 190 miles at 55mph the whole way on the interstate and consumed just over 4 gallons of gas. i was quite proud of that, especially considering she only cost me $400 and some time to swap in the 5spd.

shes a rough in the diamond but fires up when it needs to, much like the Saiga.

EDIT; btw, Ford didnt make them, they were imported from Korea under Ford badges, none the less tho.

you should see what some owners do to these little things. talking turbo'd, off road, pickup bed, convertibles etc. etc. LOL

Edited by Mullet Man

I wish there was a small US-made pick-up truck, like the old 80's Toyota. Unfortunately it seems that all trucks are required to need step ladder to get into... It seems like the Ranger is the smallest thing you can get, but I still don't even need something that large. Oh well, I'll stick to buying used stuff on Craigslist.

Edited by vbrtrmn

I wish there was a small US-made pick-up truck, like the old 80's Toyota. Unfortunately it seems that all trucks are required to need step ladder to get into... It seems like the Ranger is the smallest thing you can get, but I still don't even need something that large. Oh well, I'll stick to buying used stuff on Craigslist.

I saw an ad the other day saying the new Ford Rangers get the best milage of any new truck at 21 miles per gallon. They were saying it like that was some kind of amazing fuel economy for a small pickup... you have got to be kidding me!

I drove a Festiva once as a rental when my car died, it was a minty green color. I swear I could have just filled the car with clowns and driven around the rings of the Ringling Brothers Circus and nobody would have known it was a stock commercial car.

I actually own an Aspire which was sort of the successor to the Festiva, though it's a bit larger. I used to get easily 30MPG and although it looked like a little tiny car, it was actually surprisingly roomy. I'm a big guy and I can actually stretch my legs in it. The rear seat folds down for cargo and I was actually able to put a whole upright 12 gun safe in it. The guy at Bass Pro shop didn't think it would fit, but I moved the front passenger seat as far forward as possible and dropped it forward, folded the rear seats and then squeezed the safe in diagonally. It fit with a bit of room to spare, all I had to do was cut off the pallet that was strapped to the bottom. The guy's jaw dropped, and I laughed all the way home.

I had two - a 4 spd and an auto for my daughter. They are the state car of West Virginia. Hardly saw one in Maryland by early 2,000s but see them everywhere here! In stick shift versions, they would consistently give around 40 mpg and have decent pep for a 1200 cc engine. Yes, they were made in S. Korea by the company now known as Kia. They had Mazda engines and transmissions. I also see some of the Festiva II versions - new body and in 2 & 4 drs. Folks liked them because they were cheap to purchase, got great gas mileage and lasted a long time.

My friends dad has a mid 90's 3cyl, 1ltr, stickshift Geo Prizm. Looks like an egg. Over 40mpg and I have seen him haul a cement mixer, cement and bricks in it. Lots of room for such a small 2 door car. Also managed to kill a deer with it damage only a broken foglight.

I'd love to get one of those mid 80's early 90's Toyota pickups 4cyl, stick, 4x4 !!!!

Edited by Arik

I had a little brown one when I was in high school... AMEN to drafting behind an 18 wheeler!!!! You could pop em in neutral and ride along behind in the vacuum for MILES... the only thing was, you had to be about 3 feet off their bumper... I am SURE the semi drivers HATED that... Cause they sure as fuck couldnt see ya!!!

I LOVED mine...

:smoke:

The Tercel got somewhere in the 40's, the Sentra did as well. In fact, two years ago the Sentra made 40 even.

The problem is that nobody gives a shit about gas mileage, they want a huge honking fugly FWD bubble, but they want the one in that class or brand that gets the best gas mileage. They don't want a car that gets 50mpg, they want the car they want to get 5mpg more than it already does. There's no mystery here, people are stupid.

If hippies really wanted to save the earth, they wouldn't purchase a 4,000lb processed product that gets worse gas mileage than a 10 year old sedan. They do it for the appearance, or for petty increases in efficiency in a car they had planned on buying anyway. They want a hybrid of the sedan they bought 4 years ago, they don't want a Festiva.

Edited by Twinsen

Stupid hippies. Around here, they want to drive one of three cars: Subaru station wagon, Toyota four runner, or Ford Explorer. I don't understand it. I see them with a "save the earth" tag or bumper sticker, sucking down gas.

I've got a 93 Honda civic hatch that gets 40 mpg around the city, with me driving it. I only paid $500 for it, and it has never stranded me. The only thing I would rather drive is one of those new Toyota Yaris hatchbacks, or maybe a Honda Fit.

Stupid hippies. Around here, they want to drive one of three cars: Subaru station wagon, Toyota four runner, or Ford Explorer. I don't understand it. I see them with a "save the earth" tag or bumper sticker, sucking down gas.

I've got a 93 Honda civic hatch that gets 40 mpg around the city, with me driving it. I only paid $500 for it, and it has never stranded me. The only thing I would rather drive is one of those new Toyota Yaris hatchbacks, or maybe a Honda Fit.

What the yuppie-hippies never take into account is dollars per mile per gallon. In your 93 Honda Civic, you essentially paid $12.50 per mile per gallon. If you were to buy a brand new car for $20k and get even 75 mpg (not even realistic) you'd be paying about $270 per mile per gallon. Sure, if you keep that vehicle for 20 years or so, you might start to get paid back by the mileage, but unfortunately most consumer level vehicles are designed to last for about 10 years these days, thus the average daily driver isn't going to be saving squat, in the long run.

Further, back to your $500 car, let's say you are able to drive that car for 5 years, you wind up doing $2000 in maintenance and repairs over those years for a total cost of $2500, that's about $42 per month. A $20k car winds up being at the very minimum about $330 per month, not including possible interest for a vehicle loan, extended warranty, freight charges, taxes, etc....

What are you really getting with that brand new car? Yeah, it is more likely to be more reliable. Um .. well, that's all I can think of.

In the end I'd rather buy a bunch of guns and ammo than make a car payment :) And shit .. if you live in the sticks, you can shoot up your $500 car when it breaks down :)

The other benefit is when some douche bag tries to speed up to keep you from merging or turning, when you start merging into his/her vehicle, they're going to see your beat-up car and get the fuck out of the way.

Edited by vbrtrmn

i bought a commuter car a year ago august. it is a 08' Hyundai Accent 3dr Hatch SE, it has plenty of zip, merges w/ traffic about as good as any, and gets right at 30mpg with that crappy ethanol blended gas. (around 33 w/ real gas) has room for 5 kinda cramped or 4 w/ room to spare. the driver has just about enough room (6ft) hatch has plenty of room and seats lay down for MORE room.

only thing i hate is that it doesn't have a 6speed, just a 5sp stick. at 80mph it's bumping 4K Rpm's. constantly wanting to shift to 6th, but i just turn up the radio a bit more and drown it out.

it's color: ice blue aka: easter egg blue

just rolled 31K miles and pretty much trouble free.

would i buy it again: Yes

Stupid hippies. Around here, they want to drive one of three cars: Subaru station wagon,

My Subaru wagon makes 300 HP at the wheels and makes Al Gore and baby seals cry. If the grocery store is a quarter mile away, it can fetch dinner in about 13 seconds... maybe a bit longer if you're hauling camping gear or a lot of ammo :)

Stupid hippies. Around here, they want to drive one of three cars: Subaru station wagon,

My Subaru wagon makes 300 HP at the wheels and makes Al Gore and baby seals cry. If the grocery store is a quarter mile away, it can fetch dinner in about 13 seconds... maybe a bit longer if you're hauling camping gear or a lot of ammo :)

<----not a fan of any wagons, but I'd cut off my girlfriend's little toe for a WRX. :ph34r:

I took a ride in a co-worker's WRX.......shit was ridiculous! Made me appreciate a stick-shift car again.

Further, back to your $500 car, let's say you are able to drive that car for 5 years, you wind up doing $2000 in maintenance and repairs over those years for a total cost of $2500, that's about $42 per month. A $20k car winds up being at the very minimum about $330 per month, not including possible interest for a vehicle loan, extended warranty, freight charges, taxes, etc....

What are you really getting with that brand new car? Yeah, it is more likely to be more reliable. Um .. well, that's all I can think of.

In the end I'd rather buy a bunch of guns and ammo than make a car payment :) And shit .. if you live in the sticks, you can shoot up your $500 car when it breaks down :)

The other benefit is when some douche bag tries to speed up to keep you from merging or turning, when you start merging into his/her vehicle, they're going to see your beat-up car and get the fuck out of the way.

Not to mention the ridiculous insurance you have to pay, if you're making payments on a car. I don't have the kinda cheese laying around to even buy a $11000 Yaris, when you factor in insurance that was about 50% of the car payment.

Don't get me wrong, I love Subarus, I just hate looking at stupid trust fund hippies tooling around in them. No way in hell any of those whores would be caught dead in an old car that gets decent mileage, they're only concerned with looking environmentally conscious, while maintaining that fashionable image.

+1

My last car, a '92 Civic, got similar gas mileage. My current, '98 Civic, gets about 35ish.

I've been looking at the Fit, but if I was going to get a new (new to me) car, I think I'd upgrade to a Civic hatch in body style of your civic. I think they're call an EK body style.

I am thinking of a buying another beater. I love driving these things, keeping the mileage off my primary ride and let folks try to push my little cheap ride out of my lane with their 50K plus ride!

I love driving old Jap cars to see how long it will take where repairs dont justify keeping it. Currently I have an 01 Toyota Solara 4cyl 150k and only replaced the bettary and water pump. I'd buy the Sentra but they are a little to small for me. Not enough leg room. When this dies I'm going for a civic

3 years ago my friend bought a 91 Honda Accord 4cyl 5spd with 170k. Rusty fenders, faided paint, missing buttons...for $600. Last week he sold it with even more rust, over 210k for $650. :eek:

I saw an ad the other day saying the new Ford Rangers get the best milage of any new truck at 21 miles per gallon. They were saying it like that was some kind of amazing fuel economy for a small pickup... you have got to be kidding me!

i just delivered an 83 vw diesel rabbit pickup in a load to new jersey that this guy bought on ebay. he said it gets 45 to 55 mpg.

i passed the driver i was behind, to get to my exit, to let him check out the beast that was tailing him and he gave me a thumbs up. i guess he coulda just been happy about getting a toothless hummer from what appeared to be a lot lizard in the passenger seat. but i like to think it was from the shear baddassedness of the Pimptiva

+1

My last car, a '92 Civic, got similar gas mileage. My current, '98 Civic, gets about 35ish.

I've been looking at the Fit, but if I was going to get a new (new to me) car, I think I'd upgrade to a Civic hatch in body style of your civic. I think they're call an EK body style.

Yeah, I like all of the '96-'00 Civic body styles. I'd really love to get my hands on a stock 2000 Civic SI. They're hard to find, and even when you do, they're all riced out and beat to shit, because some kids parents bought it for them because they liked "The Fast and The Furious". :rolleyes:

Here's a stocker:

99hondacivicsif3-4500.jpg

Clean & classy, IMO.

Man, I'm the opposite of you guys. I don't care what it is as long as it'll last and is RWD with a stick. I prefer Nissan or Chevy as those are the only two I know firsthand can take a serious thrashing. There are other cars that will "last", but they sure won't with me in them. My friend went through 3 Honda motors inside of 10k miles and just gave up on the brand. I'm sure they'd have held up highway driving, but I'd rather have a car that's gonna last while being mistreated.

Hells yeah no power, hells yeah gettin' sideways.

Nissan-240SX-SE.jpg

Edited by Twinsen

I love driving old Jap cars to see how long it will take where repairs dont justify keeping it. Currently I have an 01 Toyota Solara 4cyl 150k and only replaced the bettary and water pump. I'd buy the Sentra but they are a little to small for me. Not enough leg room. When this dies I'm going for a civic

3 years ago my friend bought a 91 Honda Accord 4cyl 5spd with 170k. Rusty fenders, faided paint, missing buttons...for $600. Last week he sold it with even more rust, over 210k for $650. :eek:

I like to play this game. When something fucks up on the car, I like to see how long I can run it before the thing totally goes out. Right now on my Civic, I'm pushing about 20k on a CV axle that started giving me trouble when I got ran off the road by a pickup truck, and hit a curb. I'm hoping I can get another 50K before it lets loose.

I have a 2000 Ford Escape..... It sucks, I've been trying to run it into the ground for over a year now. Only way the wife is going let me buy a new toy is if this thing dies. It has 160,000+ on it and the trans started to go bad around 140,000. The trans is now so bad that the whole car shakes at 35 to 65 MPH to the point where my friends hold on to shit because there afraid the cars gonna blow up or something..... it's hillarious. My latest idea on how to kill it quickly, stop giving it oil. 9087 miles since last oil change, still no differance in performance or lack there of.

I'd really like to just put a skin around a dune buggy. plus a few ammenities like heat and AC and a radio.

I have a '95 Dodge Dakota that gets 25mpg, 20 when fully loaded with Shoeing stuff. Sad how cheap gas lowered expectations.