I've put a few hundred rounds thru my Saiga conversion, but no problems of any kind. A couple of days ago at the range, sighting in a new 4x32 scope, I had a slam fire/double fire, quite unexpectedly. I suspect it was a matter of not having a firm control of the gun, as it was in a steading frame, bungee corded down, in an attempt to get the scope zeroed in. Fresh magazine, rack the bolt handle, line up with the 200 yard target - trying to not jiggle the rifle too much, fire one - and two rounds go off! I had heard of that happening, but did not expect it. Sound like a loosely held, too much freedom for recoil problem? I sure don't want to have anyone accusing me of having a full auto (I know, two rounds hardly equals full auto)! Does anyone find a need for a firing pin spring, or is such a thing even possible?

sailor

I've put a few hundred rounds thru my Saiga conversion, but no problems of any kind. A couple of days ago at the range, sighting in a new 4x32 scope, I had a slam fire/double fire, quite unexpectedly. I suspect it was a matter of not having a firm control of the gun, as it was in a steading frame, bungee corded down, in an attempt to get the scope zeroed in. Fresh magazine, rack the bolt handle, line up with the 200 yard target - trying to not jiggle the rifle too much, fire one - and two rounds go off! I had heard of that happening, but did not expect it. Sound like a loosely held, too much freedom for recoil problem? I sure don't want to have anyone accusing me of having a full auto (I know, two rounds hardly equals full auto)! Does anyone find a need for a firing pin spring, or is such a thing even possible?

sailor

If you didn't have a good hold on it, you most likely bump-fired it. No firing pin spring will do anything for that.

Yep, I have the same problem. I am trying to figure out if my pin gets stuck in forward position or if I manage to bump fire it.. Just take the bolt apart, clean it with some brake cleaner and do not oil it. If you can manage to take a qtip or a toothpick with some cotton and clean all the inside of the firing pin chamber that would help.

Thanks for the comments - I suspect Nalioth has the answer (as usual). I'll watch for a repeat. Rhodes 1968 - what type of modifications are you referring too? I probably don't need to do anything at all, but this site is full of useful information, and always helpful. Incidentally, the firing pin is free floating and clean - no problem with being stuck forward. The Saiga is so easy to clean thoroughly, that there is no reason not to keep it clean. Also, it wasn't firing upon the initial closing of the bolt, but fired a SECOND round, unexpectedly.

sailor

i have been holding the rifle too lightly on more than one occasion and have had "bump fire" issues without even trying... the Tapco FCG is REALLY light and smooth.. i think that may have contributed to my personal issue..

No, I think your "right-wing extremist" instincts may have taken over in those instances, DamagedWorld. You bump-fired because you're a dangerous person who has handled and has experience with personally-owned firearms. :eek:

As you should know, if you are to the right of King Barry and Queen Barney, (er, I mean Princess Pelosi), you are a threat to The Nation.. the fucked-up "nation" that those Marxists want to turn our Republic into, anyway. ;)

• Like 1

i have been holding the rifle too lightly on more than one occasion and have had "bump fire" issues without even trying... the Tapco FCG is REALLY light and smooth.. i think that may have contributed to my personal issue..

No, I think your "right-wing extremist" instincts may have taken over in those instances, DamagedWorld. You bump-fired because you're a dangerous person who has handled and has experience with personally-owned firearms. :eek:

As you should know, if you are to the right of King Barry and Queen Barney, (er, I mean Princess Pelosi), you are a threat to The Nation.. the fucked-up "nation" that those Marxists want to turn our Republic into, anyway. ;)

my threat level rises as my rights are stripped away..

i need an extra bolt so i can tig weld the firing pin forward. pull back the charging handle and take a dump.

Doing that, if the bolt does not lock well enough before your cartridge ignites, things

could get real ugly fast. Real full auto AKs have a delay system that is suppose to avoid

an out of battery ignition. A standard factory semiauto does not have the delay.

kaboom2.jpg

i need an extra bolt so i can tig weld the firing pin forward. pull back the charging handle and take a dump.

Doing that, if the bolt does not lock well enough before your cartridge ignites, things

could get real ugly fast. Real full auto AKs have a delay system that is suppose to avoid

an out of battery ignition. A standard factory semiauto does not have the delay.

kaboom2.jpg

yeah i was kidding. but it sounded fun. i'm surprised there haven't been any real issues in these guys dangerous situations.