deformed top round

I read this post regarding the S12 on another forum, (LATOC):

"Also if stored with the mag inserted you must lock the bolt open. As the upward mag spring pressure will deform the top shell as the mag spring presses it against the closed bolt. The deformed top round may not feed if stored with mag inserted, bolt closed."

I want to know if this problem is indeed what operators are experiencing? Are you storing your S12 with the bolt held open?

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjöld

"Also if stored with the mag inserted you must lock the bolt open. As the upward mag spring pressure will deform the top shell as the mag spring presses it against the closed bolt. The deformed top round may not feed if stored with mag inserted, bolt closed."

I want to know if this problem is indeed what operators are experiencing? Or, are you indeed storing your S12 with the bolt held open?

I store mine with mag inserted and bolt held open. Deformity of the rounds depends on so many things that I choose not to even have that be a possibility.

My S-12 is an older one without a BHO.

My smith cut a notch at the rear in the safety selector so I can lock the bolt back by putting the bolt handle in the notch. I leave a full mag in the gun with the bolt locked back. If and when I need it for serious use, all I have to do is flip the safety selector to off, which is what one would normally do anyway. This releases the bolt and chambers a round, and the top round in the mag doesn't get deformed and jam. It works perfectly. For those with a BHO, just lock the bolt back, insert a loaded mag, then if you need it, hit the BHO and flip the safety off and you're in business.

It goes without saying that the gun should be kept in a safe location where visitors or children can't get to it easily, but you can if you need it.

There should be a thread in the tech setction about putting a pin in the mag to hold down the 2nd round and thus not crunching the first round. When you need to fire, simply pull the pin, disengage the saftey(if on) and rack the bolt. Works for me.

There should be a thread in the tech setction about putting a pin in the mag to hold down the 2nd round and thus not crunching the first round. When you need to fire, simply pull the pin, disengage the saftey(if on) and rack the bolt. Works for me.

There is a detailed thread on this but I don't remember where I read it and don't have time at the moment to research it. The pic shows photo's of the mag holes and what was used, pin/ring, and where they were purchased.

There is a detailed thread on this but I don't remember where I read it and don't have time at the moment to research it. The pic shows photo's of the mag holes and what was used, pin/ring, and where they were purchased.

Is this the one or is there a better one???

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20352&hl=storing+loaded+mag

I've had different experiences with different ammo, but overall I'd say that if you're going to store a defensive Saiga 12 shotgun with a loaded mag, you'd either want to spin the top shell a little every day or two.... or have the bolt locked back.

Slugs don't deform nearly as badly as shot. Winchester also tends to make softer plastic hulls than Remington in my experience. I think Federal are somewhere in the middle. I see this more in the birdshot loads than in the buck and slug rounds, but still.

To combat the problem of top round deformation, I've seen other methods used as well.... The previously mentioned "grenade pin in the mag" works ok. I've seen others use shorter 2" slug rounds on the top, so the bolt doesn't even touch the nose of the shell. I don't recall the manufacturer of the 2" slugs. Aguilla maybe? You'd want to insure your particular gun will cycle these rounds before relying on this method. Mine does, but I prefer just locking the bolt back.

What I've done is contour the bottom of the bolt a little, mainly to make mag insertion on a closed bolt easier. This isn't a mod I'd recommend anyone do who isn't very familiar with the Saiga operating system though. Rather, I'd recommend they get in touch with folks like Cobra or Tromix to have it done for them. Spare Saiga bolts aren't easy to find, should you screw one up.

Just my view from this particular soapbox. Your view may differ.

Corbin

I want to know if this problem is indeed what operators are experiencing? Or, are you indeed storing your S12 with the bolt held open?

I store mine with mag inserted and bolt held open. Deformity of the rounds depends on so many things that I choose not to even have that be a possibility.

+1... also racking it as you exit the bedroom usually solves the problem without firing a shot. Even a strung-out junkie knows what that sound means.

Why would you want the bolt closed with a mag in? If you store it like this you're obviously using it for protection. If the time comes you need it, its far simpler to just pull the charge handle an inch and let go, than fully charging the weapon. Also I agree with the last posting but just the bolt dropping is quite a sound in itself. Just my views though.

Mine is kept like this nightly. In a gunsafe with door open for quick access.

When unannounced scumbag is ready to get his head blown off i hit the carrier handle disengaging the BHO and then it's rocknf*ckingroll

No pity the fool!

I pull the mag during the day to let the carrier spring relax.

SN850188.jpg

Edited by Black_Wolf