Road Trip -> Worlds Largest Gun Show Tulsa, Ok

Driving up from Houston to Tulsa for the worlds largest gun show Saturday and Sunday. I was looking for watering hole and grub recommendations from the locals here. I've been to Cowboy Sharkies but didn't know about any brew pubs or Irish bars.

Thanks,

:D

Yakdung

BBQ: Elmer's It Be Bad BBQ

Irish Pub: Kilkenny's Irish Pub

Beer: Mcnellies Public House

Each place has a website . . . google them.

If you hit one up, report back and let me know what you think.

Thanks... plugging them into my Garmin.

Yakdung

White river is good fish, but kinda expensive and in the ghetto. Bodean's is great also but in a better neighborhood.

Kilkenny's is a great Irish pub, and the Empire (my favorite beer bar) is only 1/2 block away.

There are some great bars downtown, Lola's is my favorite in the Brady district. The Blue dome district has a few good ones too.

Brookside has a great selection of bars/restaurants/clubs, perfect for a pub crawl as they are all right together.

Edited by BobAsh

White river is good fish, but kinda expensive and in the ghetto. Bodean's is great also but in a better neighborhood.

Kilkenny's is a great Irish pub, and the Empire (my favorite beer bar) is only 1/2 block away.

There are some great bars downtown, Lola's is my favorite in the Brady district. The Blue dome district has a few good ones too.

Brookside has a great selection of bars/restaurants/clubs, perfect for a pub crawl as they are all right together.

Thanks Bob! Are there any "special" sides of town I should avoid.

Yakdung

Stay out of North Tulsa. That's the gang bang area.

The center line in Tulsa, is Admiral St. If you go North from there, the streets run 16th, 26th, 36th, 46th, etc as you move north.

If you go south, the streets run 11th, 21st, 31st, 41st, etc, as you move south.

Where are you staying?

Tony

Stay out of North Tulsa. That's the gang bang area.

The center line in Tulsa, is Admiral St. If you go North from there, the streets run 16th, 26th, 36th, 46th, etc as you move north.

If you go south, the streets run 11th, 21st, 31st, 41st, etc, as you move south.

Where are you staying?

Tony

Tony, Thanks! Staying at the Hilton Southern Hills.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/TULSHHF-Hilton-Tulsa-Southern-Hills-Oklahoma/index.do

I appreciate the inside scoop.

:)

Yakdung

Looks like I'm also going, whether I want to or not lol...had to really push to get my Dad interested in taking the trip down (last time nobody else had any money, so they didn't go and I pouted for a while lol). The only problem is that I've since bought some expensive toys and now I don't really want to go. Just the other day I picked up a 97 Cobra...and in Joplin no less, so I've already been up and down I-44 a few times the past couple of days (and have a lot less money).

I'm almost wishing I don't find the gun I've been looking for lol

Might have to see about checking out Elmer's...dad says that they always just go to Ryan's and crap like that...wtf, we can have that any day we want. In fact, every time my Dad's friend comes up for the Springfield show, they always go to Ryans or Golden Corral, etc...and that's after eating breakfast at one of these places. :ded:

If you are going to make the trip I would suggest purchasing tickets in advance. The crowd starts to arrive around 7:15am for the 08:00am opening. I also recommend arriving on Friday and purchase your tickets in advance. Vendors selling advance tickets can be found here:

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

There will be several points of entry (4 - 6 I believe) into the Expo Center and two lines for each door. Make certain you are in the correct line for pre-purchased tickets to avoid the LONG LONG lines to purchase same day tickets. Years ago girls were working the lines selling tickets to speed the process. Make certain you have correct change $10.00. If you own a small foldaway hand dolly considering bringing one. This arena is 11 acres under roof and can be a pain in the ass carrying several cases of ammo long distances.

This is the mecca of gun shows.

Good luck and have fun. Pointing the diesel north...

Yakdung

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Departed Houston at 06:00am for the drive to World Largest Gun Show in Tulsa Oklahoma. I have made this trip numerous times and think I have it down. The trip always requires a stop in Centerville Texas for what I call a red meat run at Woody's smokehouse. http://www.woodys-smokehouse.com/

First stop in Tulsa was at Sports World for advanced tickets for the show on Friday. I highly recommend you do this if you attend this show to avoid the long lines. Cool store a lot of black evil nasty rifles . The next day of the show the lines were longer than you can imagine, The advanced tickets allowed us to navigate to the front of the line. I can tell you from experience that folks in line waiting to purchase tickets are not happy to see people do this.

Each show seems to present to you some sort of deal if you can find it. This show was ammo cans. I managed to purchase fifty really nice 30 caliber cans for $2.00 a piece and fifty caliber cans for $5.00 a piece. I also managed to find 30 round milsurp AK magazine canvas pouches holding four magazines for $2.50. Ammo was plentiful but there were not lines as in the past and I got the distinct impression vendors were trying to hawk ammo. There was no Wolf buck or slug in the house. The "deal" in shot gun shells was a product called "Rio" from Spain: http://www.rioammo.com/game_buckshot.htm Cases of Rio buck was going for $150.00 per case of 250. I was not willing to give it a try. Wolf 762x39 was going in the 235.00 - 245.00 range for 1K and really wasn't moving that fast. Saiga's were plentify and prices were on the high side. I only noticed one Romanian SAR3 and it was listed for $600.00 on Saturday. Sunday it was gone. I can say that I found no real gun deals and the show wasn't as crowded as in the past. The show after 9/11 was shoulder to shoulder with ammo flying out of the door on flatbed hand trucks. Also managed to purchase another book on the "Tunnels of Chu Chi". I find the story fascinating: https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~ebolt/history398/WarInTheVillagesAndTunnels.html

A big thanks to Bob and Tony for the local information. I probally drank too much and had more fun than a person should be allowed to have. In the search for brew, I managed to make it to Empire Bar (empty at the time), Kilkenney (small bar long on resturant) and Crow Creek Tavern. Spent most of the time in Crow Creek Tavern due to the ratio of good looking women, cold beer and good ribeye steaks.

http://www.crowcreektavern.com/

Be safe and Happy Shooting...

Yakdung

I can't remember when my dad and I arrived (after 9...maybe 10), but we got off the shuttle bus and walked right in lol ...we walked the top half only (he crapped out and wanted to leave). Got the SPAS 12 I posted in the general shotgun forum...saw 3 (all folders with hooks) and picked out the one I liked the best (lmao @ the one they wanted 2k for).

There certainly didn't appear to be a shortage of bazookas there...was very tempting lol, but I only brought just enough money to get the toy I wanted. Like I said in another topic, I didn't check the Saigas much (since I wasn't exactly there to browse), but I did see one S12 for $469.

We ended up eating at Casa Bonita before we left lol....probably been about 20 years since I've eaten there (can barely remember it)...didn't even know if the one in Tulsa was still around (have also been to the one in Denver, but I was too young to remember that one). Haven't even been past Joplin in so long that I completely forgot about the McDonald's that straddles I-44...too bad we had already stopped in Mt Vernon on the way in...