At What Distance Should I Sight in My 7.62X39

I'd like to determine what distance would be the optimal for sighting in my 7.62X30 for use in 3-gun shoots (shorter-range eastern stuff - no hill top-to-hill top Montana/Colorado stuff!), hunting (again, shorter-range eastern US situations - max out to about 150-175m) and as my go-to defensive carbine. Sighting equipment will be a red-dot and a 1.5-5X scope (both on QD side-rail mounts). I'd like to try to keep the same POA/POI (+/- 3 in.) from CQB distances out to ???.

Any thoughts would be helpful. And "Many Thanks" in advance.

Old SF MJT

P.S. I did a search to no avail! Then again I could have used the wrong words in the search.

I'd like to determine what distance would be the optimal for sighting in my 7.62X30 for use in 3-gun shoots (shorter-range eastern stuff - no hill top-to-hill top Montana/Colorado stuff!), hunting (again, shorter-range eastern US situations - max out to about 150-175m) and as my go-to defensive carbine. Sighting equipment will be a red-dot and a 1.5-5X scope (both on QD side-rail mounts). I'd like to try to keep the same POA/POI (+/- 3 in.) from CQB distances out to ???.

Any thoughts would be helpful. And "Many Thanks" in advance.

Old SF MJT

P.S. I did a search to no avail! Then again I could have used the wrong words in the search.

I read this on the web somewhere.....

Establishing Zero:

Establish Zero at 25 Meters and you will be set with a 1000 Meter battle sight zero.

Adjust rear sight to 100 Meter mark

Shoot at a target 25 Meters away

Adjust front sight as necessary:

- To raise POI, rotate front post down (clockwise)

- To lower POI, rotate front post up (counter-clockwise)

- Windage left, drift front sight drum right

- Windage right, drift front sight drum left

Once you have a nice group at your point of aim, you will be zeroed for all other elevation ranges on the rear sight.

Ooops...sorry, just read you were talking about using a red-dot...hope it's info you could use anyway.

Edited by Flashbang

Range Drop Velocity Energy Momentum Windage Lead Time Elevation

(Yards) (inches) (ft/sec) (ft-lbs) (lb-sec) (inches) (inches) (secs) (moa)

0 -2.00 2345.0 1514.0 1.2913 0.00 0.0 0.000 -----

25 -0.03 2266.3 1414.1 1.2479 0.10 0.0 0.033 -0.13

50 1.51 2189.0 1319.3 1.2054 0.40 0.0 0.066 3.03

75 2.61 2113.2 1229.5 1.1636 0.91 0.0 0.101 3.47

100 3.21 2039.0 1144.7 1.1228 1.65 0.0 0.137 3.21

125 3.29 1966.3 1064.5 1.0828 2.62 0.0 0.175 2.63

150 2.81 1895.3 989.0 1.0437 3.83 0.0 0.214 1.87

175 1.73 1826.0 918.0 1.0055 5.30 0.0 0.254 0.99

200 -0.01 1758.5 851.4 0.9683 7.04 0.0 0.296 -0.01

225 -2.45 1692.9 789.1 0.9322 9.07 0.0 0.339 -1.09

250 -5.65 1629.4 730.9 0.8972 11.39 0.0 0.385 -2.26

275 -9.67 1568.0 676.9 0.8634 14.02 0.0 0.432 -3.52

300 -14.57 1508.9 626.8 0.8309 16.98 0.0 0.480 -4.86

As you can see, a 25 yard zero is equal to that of a 200 yard zero.

There is an AK47 25 Yard Sight in target with complete instructions on the target you can print. Get a sight tool by all means. I will post the target later or you can find it yourself Im sure. Also not the common sight in of a scope at 100 yards will be within a couple of MOA across a wide range out to 200. Its not so much where you sight as THAT you sight and are familiar with the x39 ballistics. I think Krebs still makes an excellent replacement sight for the AK pretty sure the Saiga uses the 800M but may want to confirm that. 800 M AK Sight

AKtarget.jpg

Edited by Rhodes1968

Im or the opinion, and thats all it is, that the only thing really needed on the Saiga is a replacement of that crappy blade sight. All blade sights are that way so dont get upset.

I am still looking for a peep sight that keeps the range adjustment mechanism that is on the AK already. No batteries, nothing to get in the way and peep sights are good out to 500m depending on eyesight.

The side mount works fine for a scope if you get the low profile quick disconnect well made variety. I know mine works very well on the 308 while using a scout mount for the x39.

So anyone know of a good peep sight as I described? I have even considered making my own using a stock sight as a base.

Im or the opinion, and thats all it is, that the only thing really needed on the Saiga is a replacement of that crappy blade sight. All blade sights are that way so dont get upset.

I am still looking for a peep sight that keeps the range adjustment mechanism that is on the AK already. No batteries, nothing to get in the way and peep sights are good out to 500m depending on eyesight.

The side mount works fine for a scope if you get the low profile quick disconnect well made variety. I know mine works very well on the 308 while using a scout mount for the x39.

So anyone know of a good peep sight as I described? I have even considered making my own using a stock sight as a base.

http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html

I have the microclick adjustable version. Very nice. Doesn't stay down as well as it could, though.

Yeah I tried those and sent it back for the plain jane mojo without MC. You may find its not fitting exactly right in the sight mount. Some sanding/polishing to get a good fit, the front end of the sight has to sit as high as possible to get good leverage to keep the rear stable under recoil.

Im looking into the Tech-Sight even though its expensive people seem to like it a lot. Just tired of things not fitting or working as advertised and will pay a bit more for quality. The sight length being doubled with the TS doesnt hurt at all either,

Edited by Rhodes1968

+1 on setting the 25 yard POA on the 200 yard setting. 25 yards POA/POI = 200 yard POA/POI. Only about 3 inches high at 100 and 3 inches low at 240. If shooting closer, you can drop to 100 setting and it will be dead on at 100. Set it using the 200 setting, though.

My saiga wil shoot about 2-3 MOA all day long with factory iron sights. That's all I need.

Rhodes68..

So when sighting in with that target, do I set my rear site to 100 notch or 200 notch?? 25=200

Flashbang says 100 and you say 200..

Confused.

Nevermind.. Imrangemaster got it for me... Thanks though.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

My Saiga has minute-of-barndoor sights on it.

What dot are you planning on using? I need something bad.

i ran an ultimak gas tube and Aimpoint and loved it.. full co-witness as well..

If I'd spent what it costs for the Ultimak with an Aimpoint, I'd brag about the results (often) too. :D

That is a great set-up. Have you seen these new Kalinka side mounts? :

post-16775-12581000661512_thumb.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

My Saiga has minute-of-barndoor sights on it.

What dot are you planning on using? I need something bad.

i ran an ultimak gas tube and Aimpoint and loved it.. full co-witness as well..

If I'd spent what it costs for the Ultimak with an Aimpoint, I'd brag about the results (often) too. :D

That is a great set-up. Have you seen these new Kalinka side mounts? :

Whick mount is that PA?

I am still looking for a peep sight that keeps the range adjustment mechanism that is on the AK already. No batteries, nothing to get in the way and peep sights are good out to 500m depending on eyesight. The side mount works fine for a scope if you get the low profile quick disconnect well made variety. I know mine works very well on the 308 while using a scout mount for the x39.

I like peeps as well. The peep sight is designed to work by natural centering tendesy of the eye when looking through a circular opening. The problem with that in an AK is that the sight is so far forward that this phenomena does not occur nearly as well. YMMV.

I tend to agree on the aperture-style sights. The MOJO sight is really nice & likely the route I go for this type of sight. Another, cheaper option, especially good if you're not sure if you'll like this sort of sight, is the Lyman version if the MOJO...same concept only 'on the cheap!' Simple set screws to adjust elevation & windage, nothing scientific about the thing! Just good bang for the buck.

As always, YMMV!

Old SF

I am still looking for a peep sight that keeps the range adjustment mechanism that is on the AK already. No batteries, nothing to get in the way and peep sights are good out to 500m depending on eyesight. The side mount works fine for a scope if you get the low profile quick disconnect well made variety. I know mine works very well on the 308 while using a scout mount for the x39.

I like peeps as well. The peep sight is designed to work by natural centering tendesy of the eye when looking through a circular opening. The problem with that in an AK is that the sight is so far forward that this phenomena does not occur nearly as well. YMMV.

You are so correct. The Tech-Sight solves the sight length problem moving it all the way to the rear. Peeps do work better than a blade even halfway down the rifle but the further back the better .

It amazes me how many people dont realize what a good set of sights will do for a rifle.

I agree. The tech-sights give a much better sight radius. I am kind of wondering how well the peep sight on the dog-leg Beryl style rail works. Right now, I'm looking at that being my eventual choice of rail when I get around to it, and it would be nice if it had a nice accurate back-up iron sight as well.