I'm working on an RPK project. To those of you who have tried both, which is more reliable/trouble-free: the fifty-round long-ass stick mags, or the Romy drums?

All the stories I hear are second or third-hand "I read/heard it somewhere before" reports.

Thanks!

Gummerfan

Most of the 50's that are around were made by joining two 30's together. Entirely dependent on who made them. If possible, try to fully compress the follower and spring to see if there are any rough spots on the inside, before you buy.

In use the RPK gunner had one or two drums and then would transition to 30's or 40's.

When you get to the RPK74 (5.45x39), those had no drums, just 45's. In a squad situation, the 'old hands' would relieve the RPK gunner- usually a kid- of his 45's and leave him with 30's.

• 1 month later...

For my saiga 7.62x39 I have 1 10 round (orginal) mag, 1 30 round mag, 2 40 round magz and 1 75 round drum! basicly they are the same. They have there up's and down's the thing that sucks is weight bullets get hard to carry even when i go out and dump my gun(EVERY OTHER DAY)it gets hard to hold. Target shooting sucks with no bipod the 40 or even 30 round mag is heavy and sucks holding.

but with what is better it all depends on who you ask.

John

• 1 year later...