Thought this was cool enough to share with yall. Had some rare downtime at the office recently which gave me an opportunity to take some pics of my latest SBR detailed in the SBR Picture thread:http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45883

Took almost three hours of trial and error to determine the correct technical factors for the optimum exposure. This was very different than the usual shots of broken bones I'm used to. Its tough to get good pictures of illuminated film images too, this will be alot easier when we convert to a digital unit next year. All in all I'm pretty pleased with the result.

post-6253-12582170885425_thumb.jpg

post-6253-12582170787655_thumb.jpg

Anybody know how to put these two pics together to where it flips back and forth in one of those animated .gif thingies? :ph34r:

• Like 2

Anybody know how to put these two pics together to where it flips back and forth in one of those animated .gif thingies? :ph34r:

You mean like this?

AR-9-anim.gif

(If it's not blinking, you might have to open it in a new window or tab)

• Like 4

Hmmm, just like the images homeland security sees when they x-ray your luggage..lol.

Wonderful images, and one hell of a nice gun!

WS

• Like 1

Very cool! Shows that I don't know as much about Xray scanners as I thought I did. Can it be readily set to not pick up thin aluminum? Very cool that the baffles in the suppressor can be seen, and the spring within the mag, even through the side of the magazine well. I have no idea how that works...

Bad-ass!

You mean like this?

Thanks guys, I appreciate you both giving it a shot. Thats exactly what I was talking about. Now I've got three sizes to choose from!

Dude! That's awesome! Did you take the rear optic off, or did it just not show up on x-ray?

I think he took it off and the sites flip up in the xray pic

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure about x-raying my expensive-ass-NVD. I'm 99% sure its harmless, but what I do know about NVDs is that they contain a photomultiplier tube focused by electrostatic lenses. The photomultiplier is usually a stack of photosensitive phosphors which react to incoming photons and convert them to a larger number of electrons. (FUN FACT: Night vision devices are virtually identical to the image intensifier found on a dignostic Flouroscope commonly used in radiology departments.) Theres a slim chance it could react in a negative way with a beam of high energy photons (x-rays). The electrostatic lenses are usually carefully calibrated as well and could possibly be thrown out of whack though I find this less likely. Anyway, to me it just wasn't worth the slight risk of damaging sensitive and expensive equipment so I left it out.

Just for grins, what would it cost to do this for somebody? Normal rates for your time and so on. I bet it would be astounding!

I'm not even gonna go near that one! Its already extremely permissive of my employers to allow me the leeway to do this sort of thing. I'm very lucky to work in such a gun-friendly environment with some very pro-gun bosses! Not to mention, I don't necessarily own the equipment so turning a profit off this would be a bit unethical from my viewpoint.

Very cool! Shows that I don't know as much about Xray scanners as I thought I did. Can it be readily set to not pick up thin aluminum? Very cool that the baffles in the suppressor can be seen, and the spring within the mag, even through the side of the magazine well. I have no idea how that works...

An x-ray operator controls the KvP (kilovolt peak) and mAs (milliampere/seconds), this determines the characteristics of the exposure. (Primarily density and contrast.) The KvP determines the peak energy level of the individual photons and the mAs determines the number of individual photons comprising the beam. I could go on for some time trying to explain all that, and there are entire courses just on understanding these concepts. Basically, the more energy the rays have, the more penetrating they are. For example: the technical factors for this exposure are [60KvP @ 10mAs @ 62"] My first attempt was [72KvP @ 20 mAs @62"] This was way too dark and though it was neat being able to see the bore and some of the bolt parts that are underpenetrated in the above image, most of the aluminum was burned out and the plastic was long gone. If I were to shoot one at 40KvP it would not penetrate the aluminum and you'd only get a silhouette of the metal with the plastic parts transparent. The final exposure that I went with was the best overall visualization of all parts of the gun.

What brand of silencer is that? It's got slant baffles, but it looks like it's big so it's probably quieter than the smaller one I use.

It is big! Its a YHM 9mm XL QD mount. It fits on my Lage Max-11 too!http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd24/distalradius/GUN%20VIDS/?action=view&current=MVI_0474.flv

If you magnify the x-ray image a bit you can clearly see metallic buildup on the first and second baffles. (And the round count is <500!) and BTW, how lucky is it that the can indexes perfectly sideways like that?

• Like 2

Oh hey, thats really cool! I didn't think of trying anything like that. Yet another sweet pic saved to the X-ray/AR9 folder. I'm kinda surprised the pics were identical enough for that to work. How long did that take to photoshop?

Oh hey, thats really cool! I didn't think of trying anything like that. Yet another sweet pic saved to the X-ray/AR9 folder. I'm kinda surprised the pics were identical enough for that to work. How long did that take to photoshop?

> 30 seconds.

yeah, it was quick. i corrected the white balance in the non-xray'd first as i opened it with the raw processor. opened the xray shot, did a select>color range> all the blacks then inverted to only have the color. copied the color to new layer. pressed v for the move tool. held shift while drag n drop to auto align layers. flatten the image and save. about 1/10th the time it took me to write this. :haha:

• 7 months later...

post-6253-12582170787655_thumb.jpg

That's a different suppressor design than I'm used to.

How efficient is it?

Usually, conically shaped inserts project the sound waves back on one & other to cancel each other out, while the can allows for expantion... The inserts on yours are a little different.

Is it like a car-door or trunk-shut level of quiet?

Just to assist some people, what shows up on an xray or a photo print is backwards of intuitive.

You would THINK that the more that gets through makes it whiter, but it is backwards.

So, if you took an Xray or photoprint of nothing, you'd get a black sheet.

If you took one with a big plate of metal (xray) or a sheet of cardboard (photo)

you'd get white.

So, for an xray, the whiter the stuff, the more of the rays it blocked. You have a dim

casing of a mag, which is letting most of it through, then the spring blocks some more,

and you can see it. Most of the thick metal is white, since it blocked almost everything;

the mag and pistol grip are near black, since they let most everything through.

That's a different suppressor design than I'm used to.

How efficient is it?

Usually, conically shaped inserts project the sound waves back on one & other to cancel each other out, while the can allows for expantion... The inserts on yours are a little different.

Is it like a car-door or trunk-shut level of quiet?

The can is a YHM-XL. Those are slant-baffles, one of the older designs I think. Lots of suppressors still use em. I started to try and write a description of the different baffle types but I'm lazy and Wikipedia is easily quoted:

"Baffles come in several designs. M, K, Z, and Ω(Omega) are the most prevalent. M-type is the crudest and composes an inverted cone. K forms slanted obstructions diverging from the sidewalls, creating turbulence across the boreline. Z is expensive to machine and includes "pockets" of dead airspace along the sidewalls which trap expanded gasses and hold them thereby lenghtening the time that the gasses cool before exiting. Omega is an advanced design combining elements of all three previous designs. Omega forms a series of spaced cones drawing gas away from the boreline, incorporates a scallopped mouth creating cross-bore turbulence, which is in turn directed to a "mouse-hole" opening between the baffle stack and sidewall."

Just set as the new wallpaper on my HTC EVO. Bad-Ass pic. Makes me want to start filling out paperwork to get a SBR.

Thanks man, it was really easy to build, just took forever to find all the parts. Everybody needs at least one SBR!:up:

Just to assist some people, what shows up on an xray or a photo print is backwards of intuitive.

You would THINK that the more that gets through makes it whiter, but it is backwards.

So, if you took an Xray or photoprint of nothing, you'd get a black sheet.

If you took one with a big plate of metal (xray) or a sheet of cardboard (photo)

you'd get white.

So, for an xray, the whiter the stuff, the more of the rays it blocked. You have a dim

casing of a mag, which is letting most of it through, then the spring blocks some more,

and you can see it. Most of the thick metal is white, since it blocked almost everything;

the mag and pistol grip are near black, since they let most everything through.

We call the image a "negative". The subject's mass absorbs x-ray photons differentially based on its specific density giving rise to radiographic contrast resulting in a visible image (whew).

• Like 2