Gun season opened up this weekend. Where my stand is located I have no shot over 30 yards-so the only unscoped rifle I have is my ak, and with the brush being thick on the trail to my stand it seemed like the best option. After sitting in my stand for a few hours and no action I hear something running across the flooded marsh. Then I caught a glimpse thruogh the cedar trees at a deer running--I guess something had spooked it, so I climbed down and went to go see what it was since I coldn't tell whether it was a buck or not. I followed my trail out of the cedar hammock to the edge of the marsh and looked around, I thought that I was too late-then I could see antlers moving through the tall marsh grass. I did the MASH squat walk to use the tall grass for cover until I closed some distance to get a decent shot. When he cleared the talll grass I stood up and took aim--he must've heard me because when I stood up he turned around giving me a good rear quarter shot at about 75 yards. BOOM he never took another step. Not bad for shitty ak irons that I've never adjusted. my setup--nothin fancy wasr 10 tapco FCG 74 brake tapco folder for portability and ACU wrap---my favorite new brush gun. Oh and BTW, "Hey Mr. Obama what do you mean aks have no practical or sporting purpose??"

post-6633-12583360552857_thumb.jpg

post-6633-12583360666469_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah one shot, it suprised me too. He flopped around for about 45 seconds. I'm used to shootin a 7 mag so I didn't know what to expect. The shot was a little farther back than I wanted but I got the liver and the lungs. The shock being so close to his spine I think is what dropped him--but miraculously did no damage to any backstrap. :D

...Oh and BTW, "Hey Mr. Obama what do you mean aks have no practical or sporting purpose??"

King Barry doesn't care if your rifle has "practical or sporting purposes", (nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment anyway), "H"e would eagerly outlaw it just the same.

Marxist wanna-be totalitarians such as Barry don't think that anyone outside The State should have any means to resist The State.

Btw, nice kill. :up:

Hey, you found of those big steaks that runs all over the place!

LOL!

Nice shot! Good to hear it was a nice clean kill. Has anyone here ever taken a hog with an AK?

Not an AK, but I saw a Discovery channel show called "Pig Bomb" where a group of guys were hunting hogs with a SKS...

Nice shot! Good to hear it was a nice clean kill. Has anyone here ever taken a hog with an AK?

Not an AK, but a couple friends around here have gone hog hunting with SKS's. The ballistics of 7.62x39 are almost identical to .30-30. It's adequate for anything short of hogzilla, and if a big boar charges well you've got plenty of follow-up shots ready.

LOL!

The guys down hear in N.Tx I talk to hunt hogs with SKS's. No info on AK-platform rifles. But I've seen them in the rear window of one or two pick-ups.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL!

The guys down hear in N.Tx I talk to hunt hogs with SKS's. No info on AK-platform rifles. But I've seen them in the rear window of one or two pick-ups.

Good way to get one stolen! I dont leave any guns in plain view in my truck. Had a friend a few months back that got his AR stole right off the rack in his back window in wal-mart. And HES A COP lol so he should know better.