People are going to have to put up with me saying "come with me if you want to live" at least until I get another new toy...which'll probably be a while. Pretty sure it's an '83. Don't think it's been fired a whole lot, and it has the original sling and a cross bolt safety...also has the rounded stock with rear sight latch, and of course the hook. Anybody know if the buffers that are always for sale on gunbroker are any good? Definitely think I better replace the original before trying to fire it...

spas12.jpg

Got the Saiga for zombies and the SPAS for dinosaurs...and if there are zombie dinosaurs, I'm covered. :killer:

Edited by sidewinderl

What is the hook for?

You can rotate it either direction (with the stock unfolded), and it becomes a forearm brace for one-handed firing. It's pretty cool, but probably not the most practical thing in the world lol...I'm really surprised by the lack of one-handed firing vids on youtube, though.

I always likes the SPAS, and LAW 12...

Nice find I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

How is parts availability for those things?

I've seen some people selling a few parts on gunbroker, but I assume that's about as good as it gets lol. It's definitely not something you wanna take out and beat to death, unless of course you have 2 of them lol

I also want to get the SAS-12 and LAW-12 in the future, but the SPAS dried up my boomstick fund for now.

i wouldnt worry about the buffer, it took me thousands of rounds before i broke my buffer. When it broke, it was just the small tab in the back. I probably could have just jb welded it back together, but parts were a lot more available back then, and cheap, so I just bought a bunch for spares.

I know Chris at spas12.com used to sell buffers, he may still, I haven't checked it out in a long time, he may be the one selling the ones you referred to.You might want to email him.

I wouldn't imagine that gun has been shot much, the folders are very painful to shoot if you get your face right down on that stock.

It's good to see you've got the updated safety on there.

The spas12 was my first gun, and I shot it for years in skeet and trap, the only things i ever broke on that gun was the one buffer, this was the first part to break, and it probably took at least 8-10 years of very heavy use, a firing pin, and the steel housing for the auto/manual selector, which was just a strange thing to break. All parts were easily fixed, that gun held up better than a lot of remington 1100s, and didnt require anywhere near the maintenance and repairs of my k80.

if you want to shoot that gun a lot, you should see if you can find one with a fixed stock, or find a fixed stock for it. You can swap the folder off very easily.

oh, and much like Saigas, of course you should have at least 2 of them.

Edited by z34matt

Yeah, it's definitely a big time collector's item, but I don't really see any reason not to have fun with them.

*checks spas12.com more closely* actually there seems to be a parts supplier out there and they still have a lot in stock (a lot out of stock too, though). http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1420zSPAS%2012

There's another one listed, but no way to tell if they're still around without contacting them.

i wouldnt worry about the buffer, it took me thousands of rounds before i broke my buffer. When it broke, it was just the small tab in the back. I probably could have just jb welded it back together, but parts were a lot more available back then, and cheap, so I just bought a bunch for spares.

I know Chris at spas12.com used to sell buffers, he may still, I haven't checked it out in a long time, he may be the one selling the ones you referred to.You might want to email him.

I wouldn't imagine that gun has been shot much, the folders are very painful to shoot if you get your face right down on that stock.

It's good to see you've got the updated safety on there.

The spas12 was my first gun, and I shot it for years in skeet and trap, the only things i ever broke on that gun was the one buffer, this was the first part to break, and it probably took at least 8-10 years of very heavy use, a firing pin, and the steel housing for the auto/manual selector, which was just a strange thing to break. All parts were easily fixed, that gun held up better than a lot of remington 1100s, and didnt require anywhere near the maintenance and repairs of my k80.

if you want to shoot that gun a lot, you should see if you can find one with a fixed stock, or find a fixed stock for it. You can swap the folder off very easily.

oh, and much like Saigas, of course you should have at least 2 of them.

Well, the thing with the buffer is that (aside from being as old as me) when I first picked up the gun before buying it, I saw it rattling around inside the receiver lol. A little while later I noticed it had gone back in its hole and it hasn't come out since...haven't broken the gun down to check it out yet. Even if it looks ok, I'll want to keep an eye on it and have a spare lying around.

I can definitely tell what you mean about the folder being rough on your face...it was one of the first things I noticed when shouldering it. I probably won't be shooting it enough for that to matter...just gotta remember to keep my cheek away from it lol ...I really like the fixed stock (would love to see it on other guns like the 870 or 500), but had to have the folder.

Nice! :super:

If I may ask, what's the dimensions on the handgard? :angel:

Also, where else may I look to pick one up? The above link is sold out and it looks as though a prop co. may have bought several for a Pulsegun....

http://props.steinschneider.com/pulser/pulpic12.htm

spas12.com lists another parts seller (no website, just phone/fax), but also says the prices are current as of 2000 lol...only way to know if the guy still has stuff for sale would be to try contacting him.

And whatcha need handguard dimensions for? lol Not sure how helpful this is, but it's 10 1/2 inches at its longest point and about 2 5/8 tall and roughly 2 3/8 at the widest point...think you'd be better off with one in hand lol

Also, where else may I look to pick one up? The above link is sold out and it looks as though a prop co. may have bought several for a Pulsegun....

spas12.com lists another parts seller (no website, just phone/fax), but also says the prices are current as of 2000 lol...only way to know if the guy still has stuff for sale would be to try contacting him.

And whatcha need handguard dimensions for? lol Not sure how helpful this is, but it's 10 1/2 inches at its longest point and about 2 5/8 tall and roughly 2 3/8 at the widest point...think you'd be better off with one in hand lol

Thanks Sidewinder, The measurements just saved me about $50 of "Damn, that's not what I wanted to do."

Was gonna use it for a Bullpup stock but only need a width of 1.5". It was using one in a video game(S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) that I got the idea for the heatshield/rail for my current Bullpup build. Only had it working 6mo. and am redesigning it already, lol.

Thanks Sidewinder, The measurements just saved me about $50 of "Damn, that's not what I wanted to do."

Was gonna use it for a Bullpup stock but only need a width of 1.5". It was using one in a video game(S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) that I got the idea for the heatshield/rail for my current Bullpup build. Only had it working 6mo. and am redesigning it already, lol.

The inside width where it connects to the heat shield is basically 1.5, but the thickness of the handguard brings it out to 2...the 2 3/8 is the lip at the "base" of that handguard (where it's closest to the receiver).

Personally I'd like to know if the fixed stock/pg could be made to fit other guns like the 870...I don't really care for any of the stocks available (that I've seen anyway) for the 870 or 500, etc, but I really really like the Franchi SPAS/LAW/SAS fixed stock/pg.

oh yeah and a general SPAS question...is it just mine or does the SPAS have a really heavy trigger pull?

Edited by sidewinderl
  • 7 months later...

Yeah, it's definitely a big time collector's item, but I don't really see any reason not to have fun with them.

*checks spas12.com more closely* actually there seems to be a parts supplier out there and they still have a lot in stock (a lot out of stock too, though). http://www.e-gunpart...=1420zSPAS%2012

There's another one listed, but no way to tell if they're still around without contacting them.

Such a very amazing link!

Thanks you for the post.

Watch The Twilight Saga Eclipse Online Free

That SPAS just looks MEAN! I like it! :super: Nice find.

How does the weight/balance compare to the S-12? They always looked heavy as shit to me.

Empty they actually seem to have about the same balance point. The SPAS is, of course, more barrel heavy than the Saiga, but it's actually not unbalanced like many probably think. Overall weight of the SPAS is comparable to your typical Saiga with a drum and maybe a toy or two (except that weight isn't over the barrel, so the Saiga still feels "better"). The SPAS is "heavy as shit" relatively speaking, but it really isn't that bad...certainly nothing a grown man will have any problem with. The problem is that there seems to be a lot more grown babies than men nowadays lol

The SPAS is actually not as bad as one might think to hold one-handed either (with the hook...not gonna happen without it)...the hook might not be that useful of a feature to begin with, but it does work.

If one wanted an evil Franchi, but just couldn't get over the weight of the SPAS, then there's always the SAS or LAW, which are pretty much the same gun, just without the heat shield and dual-mode functionality...which makes them not nearly as cool, but they're still evil enough, more affordable, and rarer. Found a LAW 12 the other day (must say it looks better in person), but it had the lever safety and the removable wood stock (which is probably worth more, but I'd rather have the full synthetic), so I decided to pass on it...I will have the other 2 evil black Franchi's one of these days, though. And I have the Saiga to blame for it...

• 1 month later...

Ordered a choke for my SPAS from Carlson's and it showed up today http://www.choketube.com/spas12.html Dunno why they make you call for that one, but whatever...they also included a couple parts diagrams and a list of available parts (spas12.com has the diagram and list also). Pretty sure it's the same choke people try to sell on gunbroker for twice as much lol