I orderd a .308 savage rifle about three weeks ago and it turns out they are back orderd. Today i was talking to a local gun shop owner who seems to know what he is talking about was telling me that a 20 in bbl will out perform a 26 in bbl. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this. I thought that like a shotgun, the longer the barrel the more accurate out far it will be. So i am re-thinking my options and trying to see if i should get a 20 24 or 26 in bbl. Any opinions? Is he blowing smoke like the little engine that could? Thanks

FOR a SAIGA .308 you get TWO CHOICES....

16"

22"

unless you plan to buy both and compare them side by side, with exact same optics, exact same HANDLOADS, exact same bechrests...( you get the idea)

I DOUBT you will ever discern any difference...

*MAYBE* the 16" is more accurate... MAYBE the 22" is... rumor has it that both can be the case, with SLIGHTLY MORE leaning to the 16"

If you want the longer .308... NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW the difference...not even you..

GET whichever one you LIKE THE LOOKS OF... thats what is important... that you LIKE your rifle, not settle for one because "someone said such and such that so and so claimed to be the case..."

:smoke:

On the savage you're talking about, it really depends on the chambering/ ammunition. As I heard it, benchrest shooters tried nearly every conceivable barrel length with the 308 winchester chambering. Apparently there was no significant gain in accuracy, velocity, etc. with a barrel much longer than 20 inches.

If it was a 30-06 (possibly) or a 300 Winchester Magnum (definately) you would likely be able to get more initial velocity with a longer barrel. This translates to a slightly flatter trajectory at close ranges, for most rifles/cartridge combinations.

If you're going to be carrying the rifle around in the woods/mountains/wherever, I would suggest the 20". If you're going to be shooting High-Power competitions, or benchrest, 24" might serve you better. All in all it comes down to what you need and what you're comfortable with. I hope this helps.

Im having real issues with what gun to get. I want a good tactical looking shooter for low dollars. I think i want a savage because ive heard nothing but good. The price it the best thing besides they are accurate as heck from what i hear. So my deliema is i wanted a 10fp-le2a .308 choate but i cant find one (26''). So then i said if the 20'' in has as much accuracy potential then ill do that.BUt it looks stubby and some poeple say i wont like the stock. And i dont like the ruger .22 stocks they make. So the more i think about it i get confused. Then i saw a 24 in heavy bbl at a store for $300 but it dosnt have an accu-trigger or a big bolt nob. I just found out that sss sales a trigger for about $90 and a large bolt nob for about $30. so then i could almost afford one of the sss stocks. but then i thoght that a 24 in bbl may be too short for a 25-06.Now im thinking about the varmit model becouse the stock seems way better than the cheap choate or factory stock and im thinking that a 300 win would be cool to have in a 26'' fluted. but its wood and stainless, maybe paint them black.

YOU WANT the ACCUTRIGGER

you WANT the big bolt nob...

BUY THE RIFLE that has what you WANT...

stop worrying about which will give you ONE EXTRA tenth of a MILLIMETER OF ACCURACY AT 100M.....

ITS NOT GOING TO BE that big of a DEAL!!!

My Savage I SPENT THE MONEY on... $700 bucks.. JUST THE RIFLE!

Savage .204 Ruger, 26 inch SS fluted Bull barrel, laminated target stock, and accutrigger AND big bolt knob!!!!

ITS A BEAUTIFUL GUN and its a HEAVY FUCKER... but it doesnt KICK.. and it shoots groups the size of a DIME at 100M...

as I said before... *BUY* the GUN you LIKE... with the OPTIONS YOU WANT... dont spend more to upgrade... GET THEM already on it... you will NOT BE SORRY you just went for the RIGHT ONE to start with!!!

Its that easy... GET THE ONE that has WHAT YOU WANT, without MODS, or UPGRADES!!

and HOW COULD YOU WANT TO PAINT IT BLACK???? how could you want to hide such a BEAUTIFUL rifle behind BLACK PAINT???? ACKIES!!!!

*NO SAVAGE FOR YOU!!!!* LOL

post_21_1107059527.jpg

Edited by IndyArms

Holly scope! That thing is sweet. That gun is rad. I just like black pissed off looking guns. I can actually get the wood 300 win 26 in fluted stainless the cheapest. And its in stock.Go figure.

Obviosly i dont know what i want thats why im being tore apart. What i wanted 3 weeks ago and what i want now makes me go bonkers :eek:

Oh and i want to be accurate at 300 to 500 yards. My AR and 7.62 saiga will shoot what i want at 100 yards.

What did that scope run and the model if i may ask. Thanks

that scope is a BSA platinum target scope.

Bought it on ebay for like $130.00 with shipping...

ITS A great lil scope... the sunshades are actually 2 parts... I have them BOTH on in that photo.... you can adjust them for short, long or BOTH for "stupid long" like I have them...

its an 8-32 X 44 scope (I believe 44 is the Objective diameter..)

YOU WANT the ACCUTRIGGER

you WANT the big bolt nob...

BUY THE RIFLE that has what you WANT...

stop worrying about which will give you ONE EXTRA tenth of a MILLIMETER OF ACCURACY AT 100M.....

ITS NOT GOING TO BE that big of a DEAL!!!

My Savage I SPENT THE MONEY on... $700 bucks.. JUST THE RIFLE!

Savage .204 Ruger, 26 inch SS fluted Bull barrel, laminated target stock, and accutrigger AND big bolt knob!!!!

ITS A BEAUTIFUL GUN and its a HEAVY FUCKER... but it doesnt KICK.. and it shoots groups the size of a DIME at 100M... 

as I said before...  *BUY* the GUN you LIKE... with the OPTIONS YOU WANT...  dont spend more to upgrade... GET THEM already on it...  you will NOT BE SORRY you just went for the RIGHT ONE to start with!!!

Its that easy... GET THE ONE that has WHAT YOU WANT, without MODS, or UPGRADES!!

and HOW COULD YOU WANT TO PAINT IT BLACK???? how could you want to hide such a BEAUTIFUL rifle behind BLACK PAINT???? ACKIES!!!!

*NO SAVAGE FOR YOU!!!!*  LOL

With that scope you can read the date on a dime at 100 meters!

I dont really dont know what i want. This is my first bolt action rifle. Im Just trying to ask you long time pros for a little advice. So in everyones opinion what cal and length barrel would you get to have a somewhat accurate savage 100 to 500 yards? It would be so much easier if i was a million air or if savage would simply make the exact gun that i want. Thanks for all your input.

Do you want a plinker? or one to actually HUNT with? and what do you plan to hunt with it, if you do??/ THATS the key...

MATCH the bullet/caliber to your game animal.....

no need for a 308 for groundsquirrel/woodymachucks.... likewise, you wouldnt want the .204 necessarily for big game....

so.... what do you plan to SHOOT With it????

Honestly, paper. Probably only 100 to 200 yards. But i do not want a .223. I hate that round. Id take a 22-250 and anything else. If i did go hunting ( i want to but have noone to go with or teach me) Id like something to be able to take a deer or maybe an elk ( I dont like deer meat) I know i shouldnt be such a goon and get a 20'' 308 cuz it will probably do everything i want it to do. I should not worry about someone having a larger cal rifle Or hitting a target ill never shoot at 1000 yards. I just want to be happy with what i get. Not be pissed that i spent more to get a 20 in .308 than i could have got any of the other cals. Very important have it look tactical and bad ass.

For a first bolt get a sporterized old warbird in .30-06. You can get one from Sarco for $395 or less. You can get more,and different ammo for the old '06 than every other calliber combined! You can get a husquevarna for $295! That way you can find out CHEAPLY what you like or dislike, and later you will know EXACTLY what you want!

G O B

(P.S. Everybody should have at least ONE good old .30-06 bolt!)

I got a Remington 700ADL .30-06. I like it, shoots great it doesn't kick real bad. Grandpa used to down mountain goats with it from long distance, but haven't got a chance to test its range. I don't think you can buy the ADL new anymore--you might look into the BDL, the only real difference I can tell is the floor plate--ADL doesn't have one.

ADL:

700ADL.JPG

Speaking of old bolts, the Winchester model 70As are some bad ass guns. Winchester discontinued them, probably because they were eating into the model 70 sales.

I've shot a .270 that would put 3 round groupings at 100 yards that could be covered with a dime (hand loaded ammo). At the time I was shooting it, the owner was trying to sight it in at 200 yards, and I was shooting some light weight factory ammo (130gr. 150gr seemed to be more accurate), and still shooting 3 inch groupings at 200 yards.