Response from gun dealer on gunbroker

I was checking out a saiga 223 on gunbroker and i sent a message to the seller whether the parts used for conversion were made in USA and this was his response.

"Your trying to comply with an expired law! That was all part of the assault weapons magazine ban of the Clinton era. They all expired, and even the Grand Obamite has not been able to yet effect their return. Thank you for your interest."

They have a crap load of other arms for sale and feedback on previous sales so it's not some dude just selling one firearm.

True story, had a backwoods gun dealer tell me once he could "saw off the barrel to 16 inches (on my old mans 16ga side by side shotgun) to make a nice small game brush gun" he continued on to tell me he does it all the time for his old hunting buddies.......I said "ummmmm you understand thats a SBS right?" to which he replied "no, what's an SBS"..... I left.

I also buy most of my stuff off of GB these days if there's a decent price. I will say that (like nalioth said) there are a ton of FFLs that really don't know the rules, or you live in a different state so they don't know the rules. Then there are some people who have the knowledge to build a gun yet they don't know the rules.

smells fishy, deal maybe right but for $20.00 you could find another from a reputable dealer I'm sure.

well thank god for these people. they are the ones that will likely get busted and cause a bunch of fuss about how bullshit it all is so we don't have to. Also if a stupid law is ignored to a ridiculous degree it becomes dificult to enforce...

Their lack of knowledge is astounding, but beneficial as long as your careful to make sure you fall in line with the rules. Laws that are worded so badly they are hard to understand are retarded anyway, if not for this forum and other people translating 922r, I'd have no clue what the hell it was about.

Caveat emptor, especially when dealing with guns.

I've got a good gun shop I work with, but even though they're nice and seem knowledgeable, I wouldn't trust a word they say when it comes to gun laws. That goes for any gun shop.

Yep

One of the vendors on here sells a "weld on back plate" that per their website, and I quote "Allows you convert your Saiga into a pistol". I emailed him and politely told him this was setting someone up for an unfriendly encounter with the ATF, but he didnt seem to care.

Yeah, I remember seeing that. I don't remember which vendor (not asking) and I don't care to go search, but I do remember thinking that it didn't sound right. If you want to weld up the back and have a stock-less rifle or shotgun, then fine, assuming OAL is legal. But you can't turn a rifle or shotgun into a pistol without swapping out the receiver, right? I know this has been discussed but I just can't remember because that's not something that is appealing to me . . .

ETA: And fuck no he didn't care, why would he? He just sells the parts so he wouldn't be the one potentially doing anything illegal so he couldn't be held liable for his customer's ignorance.

Edited by Raoul_Duke

One of the vendors on here sells a "weld on back plate" that per their website, and I quote "Allows you convert your Saiga into a pistol". I emailed him and politely told him this was setting someone up for an unfriendly encounter with the ATF, but he didnt seem to care.

Yeah, I remember seeing that. I don't remember which vendor (not asking) and I don't care to go search, but I do remember thinking that it didn't sound right. If you want to weld up the back and have a stock-less rifle or shotgun, then fine, assuming OAL is legal. But you can't turn a rifle or shotgun into a pistol without swapping out the receiver, right? I know this has been discussed but I just can't remember because that's not something that is appealing to me . . .

Yes, you'd have to legally dismantle the existing rifle and rebuild it as a "pistol" on a virgin receiver.

ETA: And fuck no he didn't care, why would he? He just sells the parts so he wouldn't be the one potentially doing anything illegal so he couldn't be held liable for his customer's ignorance.

This is EXACTLY why a lot of the vendors include the 12 round 12-gauge mags and 30-round Crapcos in the box when they sell a Saiga. They're making money and can't be held responsible for the customer's ignorance.

Because his wording is potentially hazardous to an unassuming buyer who may not be well versed in ATF laws? It would be really simple to change the description.