Mag Question

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been brought up but I couldn't find it...

I am really thinking about getting a 5.45 Saiga but wanted to know if they will accept regular AK-74 magazines or do you have to do something with the mags and feedramps?

Thanks for any info.

• 2 weeks later...

It's true any AK74 mag will work.... to a point. I have 2 30 round AK74 mags and they work fine only if I load no more than 22 rounds.

Sounds like you have defective magazines.

Not really. I read on this forum that if you don't modify the bullet guide the rounds can misfeed as my surplus mags do.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Military issue magazines should work fine with Dinzag's (or any) bullet guide.

I have heard of switching out problem parts in crap US made magazines - are you referring to this, perhaps?

From my personal experience, the 5.45 works flawlessly with the provided magazine and no bullet guide. I was able to feed from a surplus ak74 magazine without the bullet guide, but not reliably. I loaded 5 rounds at a time and found that every other magazine or so I'd get one round that failed to feed/ the bullet tip would miss the chamber and strike the barrel breach and jam. It was easy to clear, but not a real confidence builder. I'm sure with a bullet guide these mags would have fed and functioned just fine.

Edited by JK-47

So what is the remedy? I looked but couldn't find any how-to on fabricating a guide for this.

Then you've not been looking properly.

Those "how-to"'s have been around for 11+ years. Have you looked in the stickies?

Hint: you can buy a bullet guide from Dinzag

What are the stickies?

Every discussion board has a setting that the mods can use that keeps certain threads at the top of those displayed. These are called "stickies', and they're used here to keep the thread with all the answers easy to find.

dude, stick a bullet guide in there, and the hi caps you want to use will work fine.....

if you can do the operation yourself, fine, otherwise, Mr Cole can make the part and provide the service for 40 bucks, plus shipping.

(nalioth, why are you screwing with a new member, dude)

• Like 1

BVamp,

It's "standard capacity" mags! :rolleyes:

High capacity would be the 45 rounders!

Just trying to help.

"High capacity" would be 46+, FP

The commies have been issuing 45 rounders for years. . .

If the 45 round mag was a standard issue for an AK74, oh hell I guess your right! The 45 rounders are an issue item for RPK74 and used through out the ranks. So, that's it, 46+ round cap is to be considered Hi Cap (only AK74) as 75/100 round drum mags were issued to the AK47-RPK 7.62X39 series. We must be correct with this as we are beaten daily by the media with incorrect firearm references.

Thanks Nalioth!