My saiga fell apart!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it's the same as the riffles, than the rear rivet hold the trunnion in place so I would not drill all the way through that one. Then you can round it of or leave it and it will still hold fine. I a

Tomorrow

Posted Images

Looks good man. How is the Polish safety different than the Saiga one?

The Polish tantals have a left side thumb lever.

Moving right along Nailbomb :super:

This is entirly correct. This shotgun I'm going to try to keep all of the controlls accessable to the right hand, taking advantage of the extended mag release that it had when i got it.

I'm looking at using H&K sights with this one too.

Hmm only real question I can think of is How many "beer" I mean bottle oppeners does one man need attached to a magnet tray ???

well two of them are absent in this pic, so its not like they don't get heavy use.

My personal favorite is my craftsman bottle opener, Its made of drop forged tool steel, Proudly made in the USA, and about as beefy as my 1/2" ratchet. Its also covered under the craftsman warranty so should i ever break it on a severly stubborn bottle i can bring it in and they will replace it without a question asked! :super:

DSC02402.JPG

Edited by Nailbomb

Hey, hey, hey, their not bottle openers, their tools!

There's the last text message I received to come over, it's a pic of the fridge, kind of a light load, but it will do for part of an evening.

magicfridg.jpg

As for the Saiga, always fun to help out a friend rip apart something he just received. LOL

He needed someone to take pics, drink beer, and tell him to stop and/or NO.

You know what I mean Jake. :D

As for the Saiga, always fun to help out a friend rip apart something he just received. LOL

He needed someone to take pics, drink beer, and tell him to stop and/or NO.

You know what I mean Jake. :D

I know exacly what you mean, I couldn't agree more.

Looking forward to the end result. :super:

Is this the one you plan on using your custom thumbhole on (from your other thread)?

BTW, seeing those pics reminded me..............I've been wanting to take the side-mount off. It's never going to used on mine. Just drill out those rivets, and she comes right off, I assume?

BTW, seeing those pics reminded me..............I've been wanting to take the side-mount off. It's never going to used on mine. Just drill out those rivets, and she comes right off, I assume?

If it's the same as the riffles, than the rear rivet hold the trunnion in place so I would not drill all the way through that one. Then you can round it of or leave it and it will still hold fine. I also put a socket in the receiver when I was pounding out the rivets so it didn't bend.

Edited by thehopping1
  • Like 1

Looking forward to the end result. :super:

Is this the one you plan on using your custom thumbhole on (from your other thread)?

No accualy I was planning on the custom thumbhole stock to go on the other S-12. Both of them will be looking at some work in the future, I want to get the other one out and fill the holes and refinish it too...

I drilled the front 2 rivets out(2 closest to the barrel) and removed the head off the rear one. I was hoping i could mash it down and save it. Might just get another rivet... And i just looked at the thread again so +1 to what thehopping1 just said. Guess he beat me to it.

Edited by Nailbomb

First attempt at welding yielded a lack of fusion. The 3/16 holes were not enough for proper rosette welds. cutting slices in the dust cover and turning up the heat netted some ugly, but well fused welds. Started cleaning the welds and ran out of time. so thats all for now...

Cover1.JPG

Cover2.JPG

Cover3.JPG

Edited by Nailbomb

This is what distinguishes Saiga owners from all the rest... :super:

Nailbomb, What was the procedure that you used to measure & center the rail you welded onto the dust cover?

It's awesome! :up:

I want!

Edited by Paulyski

Nailbomb, What was the procedure that you used to measure & center the rail you welded onto the dust cover?

It's awesome! :up:

I want!

I leveled a straight edge over the cover and scribed a line, then i eyeballed it. I got it close befor clamping it down, then tapped it into place with a brass hammer. Stormy is the one who felt the need to test my eye with some dial calipers measuring from the base to the flat of the top of the rail. The only reason he would get hundreths in a measurement.

I cut the dust cover to correctly line up with the polish dust cover(what would be a saftey on any other gun). The lever was bent to hell straight out of the box from APEX. Looked like it was smiling at me when held lengthwise. Took 45 mins to make is sit close to the reciever when installed... oh and it needed to be clearanced for the thicker reciever. Cut the dust cover that sits on the recoil spring so that it ends at the same point that the rail ends just for looks.

Cover_final.JPG

dust1.JPG

Lever1.JPG

Lever2.JPG

You putting anything on your rail?

I havn't ordered anything yet, and this still has a ways to go untill i'm to the point where i'll need it, but I'm looking at a (painted to match) Chaos VFG, on one of the Krebs offset adapters with a flashlight.

I would like any recomendations on a flashlight with a strike bezel, and a red dot that will Co-Witness with the H&K sights. Still unsure on the sling setup I'll be using this time around also.