Hey fellas, got a bit of a question here.

Whats with all you guys going crazy converting all your Saigas to pistol grip? I can understand the 7.62x39 model, and I can see the need if you happen to have two .308 Saigas to convert one to pistol grip. But doesn't anyone like the feel of a traditional rifle anymore? Is there one person who has kept the sporter stock on at least one of their Saigas, or have you all gone the way of the assault weapon?

Well I don't have a real problem with the sporter style. I am just not crazy about the plastic stock. I have made a bunch of different stocks from thumbhole to pistol grip that drops in so I can change it back to factory configuration. Also if you cant stand the trigger pull, its about the only way to change it out , to convert to the standard AK config.

I have a couple Saigas, one is the stock version and the other is working up to be my custom version of a battle rifle with features merged from different AK versions and custom parts.

Saigas lend themselves to modifications because of their low cost to start with and after market part compatibilty. No wonder it has such a draw to tinkerers.

Besides, I dont really care what other people do with their stuff. ;)

I like the sporter style for heavier rounds. My S-.308 and S-12 will stay in the sporter configuration. The wifes S-.410 is converted and awaiting it's underfolder. When I can swing a S-7.62=39 and a S-.223 they wi;ll get converted. But everyone has their own taste and style-- do whatmakes YOU happy!

G O B

The sporter config is very akward. The AK was not meant to be like that and it puts everything in an odd position that just doesn't feel right to me. Besides, adapting it to pistol grip gave me a shorter OAL and a better balance point when I want to hold it with one hand; it's nowhere near as nose-heavy now. The new grip also allows for a better trigger, trigger control, and faster access to the safety (nice plus when hunting). If I had a choice, all my rifles would have a pistol grip, it's just a lot more comfortable imo.

hey jack,

i for 1 have and will keep my saiga in traditional rifle form.. i bought it for hunting, and the majority of my mods are towards that fashion. i will replace the cheap thin plastic hardware with nicely stained wood stocks, and have done some other mods like the bullet guide. theres not a pistol grip or folder plan set for my rifle, but i can see the need for such a conversion. sidestepping the ablility of the 7.62 being able to take a deer coversations and debates, my rifle is a hunting rig, setup for the michigan woods.

cheers. :aliens:

There isn't anything wrong with that either. I really like how the wood 308 stock feels and wouldnt change it if I had one.

Now that you have it all set up for hunting you should buy that nice 5 round waffle mag from me that I have listed in the for sale forum. :D

aye, i dinnae ken you had one for sale. i'd be intrested. i assume that its for 7.62 then ? the question i have is, is it a true 5 shot clip ? or has it been modified.

you can send me an e-mail to .... scibaer at yahoo dot com, and we can swap info , i'll send the coins, you sned the mag, eh ?

:google:

Well, the way I see it, I love my S-.308 22" wood sporter very much. So much, in fact that its become my main hunting rifle (its still fun to target shoot with it too), and I'd never dream about changing it. The trigger pull ain't too bad at all either. I deffinitely agree with GOB about larger caliber feeling a little bit better in a sporter config. I was thinking about getting a S-.410 and putting a pistol grip on it, and I'm dead set on getting a S-7.62x39 to convert it just so I can have a cheap and reliable Russian made AK-47. After that I might go with a short barreled S-.308 to convert it to a pistol grip, providing I can get hi-cap mags for it. I mean, what good is and assault weapon with an 8 rnd mag? But, say a S-.308 with a pistol grip and a 20 rnd mag? Now you're talkin'!

I don't know, I might eventually later move the trigger up on my S-.308, like jtoddellis said, providing I can find a nice enough thumbhole stock for it. But I'm planning on wearing out the stock its got now before that happens.

RooK thats actualy a stock I removed from my Saiga 12 that I converted LOP is 16" with the added recoil pad. I have a 37" sleve leingth (knuckels drag on the ground). I just converted the 7.62x39 and threw it on untill I can get an Ace folding stock.

I hear ya on the Ace folder. If I wasn't strapped for cash, that with the no-tang mount would be my choice. I cannot, however, utilize a stock as long as yours. I find my Tapco '1" over standard AK stock length' folder to be a good fit.

Ive left my 308 carbine alone except for a 6x42 POSP scope and mount. I wanted a poor mans M1A carbine/scout and that's what I got. It has a psuedo industrial tactical look, but is sane enough to not scare the landowner at my hunting lease. He's a Vietnam vet and AKs kinda freak him out man! I like the feel of a standard rifle over a pistol grip config, but do admit the AK feels a little odd. Maybe I should pick up another one for $269 to do a conversion!

Is there one person who has kept the sporter stock on at least one of their Saigas, or have you all gone the way of the assault weapon?

how does a pistol grip make it any more of an "assault weapon" then a saiga with a sporter stock???

I just meant that that's what the configuration is called.
well, now that i think of it, i really don't know what you would call it.

i'm just givin' you a little bit of shit, because i'm not fond of the term "assault weapon" when it's being used when talking about semi-automatic sporting rifles :smoke:

i guess assault weapon style may be a little bit more appropriate...

but don't listen to me - i ahvent slept in a long while and i'm a little out of it right now :angel:

I deffinitely hear ya on that one. I'm not fond of the term "assault weapon" either. I mean, they call semi-automatic rifles with a pistol grip and hi-cap clips assault weapons, but what about a semi-automatic shotgun with 8 in the tube that shoots 50-70cal slugs? Couldn't that "assault" someone too? Pretty much anything is an assault weapon if you wield it right. The term "assault weapon" is a joke.

I mean, they call semi-automatic rifles with a pistol grip and hi-cap clips assault weapons, but what about a semi-automatic shotgun with 8 in the tube that shoots 50-70cal slugs?  Couldn't that "assault" someone too?

i got in an argument with a guy on another forum. he reffered to the saiga-12 as a deadly weapon, but he thought a remington 1100 competition master was fine. i guess it doesn't mater that the competition master holds more shells and cycles just as fast :lolol:

When will people learn: it doesn't matter what a gun is, what it's called, or what it's purpose was, what matters is what the current owner uses it for. I don't think any of us are running around assaulting opposing forces with our firearms, just like Z06 Corvette owners aren't playing Le Mans while in city traffic.

According to the Germans, it can look like one, smell like one and sound like one

however, if it does not fire in full auto, it is not and assault weapon

saigas are semi auto rifles, just like any other civilian rifle.

Is like semi auto M11 if it do not fire full auto, it is just a big pistol,that looks like a sub machine gun.

However, you can call it, what ever you want to call it, like people

call magazines, clips and never know the difference between clips

and magazines on a gun.

Butt who am I to say anything.

:lolol:

Edited by vjor
  • 2 weeks later...

I left my S12 sporty... no conversion necessary for hunting use... only additions are: green blackjack recoil buffer, 8-round mag, I want to add a sling and I'm thinking about changing the sight... but still just thinking about it... a rear peep sight with a front barrel sight sounds interesting... and expensive.

• 1 month later...
I like the sporter style for heavier rounds. My S-.308 and S-12 will stay in the sporter configuration. The wifes S-.410 is converted and awaiting it's underfolder. When I can swing a S-7.62=39 and a S-.223 they will get converted. But everyone has their own taste and style-- do whatmakes YOU happy!

G O B

The Saiga's low cost and AK platform compatibility makes them suitable for conversion. I wouldn't try some things on more expensive rifles or shotguns. I already added a peep sight on my rear cover. Tinkering with the Saigas is enjoyable and gives owners more pride in owning a rifle or shotgun which they modified to their taste. It also shows their modification skills.

I'll add a stock with a pistol grip once I add US compliant parts. What idiotic laws designed to make felons out of decent people while criminals (and Shmuck Schumer) laugh at us.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Edited by uzitiger