reliability of 308

I stopped by my local dealer to inquire about the availability of a woodstocked 308.His response was that the 308 broke often because it was not made to handle such a heavy load.Could you please share your experience.The 308 is on my short list.Thanks

For what its worth, I haven't had any issues with my 308, neither have the guys I know who shoot them. I also haven't heard of any issues with the shotgun versions. I would think that they would have issues before any other loads...so no, they are bulletproof....and fun as all hell.

-chuwii

• Like 1

I would be very interested to hear what the guys have to say who have shot hte hell out of theirs. I only have 3 4 hundred through mine. The only problem I had to begin with is some polish work that needed to be done to the bolt because of bad shell dents. I consider mine a MBR.

Edited by Stansplace

I've put approximately 6k plus rounds through each of mine (a 22" and 3 16"s) - no burps or hiccups.

Sounds like your dealer is trying to up-sell you and/or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Could be simple snobbery - you'll find that a lot of otherwise educated and experienced folk look down their noses at anything AK.

Get one - you won't be sorry!

-Ulf

All though I have only put about a 1000 rounds through mine I have made an effort to try just about every 308win and its nato twin. All work fine even the cheap wolf and brown bear. No issues what so ever. The dealer has either A) had 1 bad experience with one lemon 308 B ) is confusing it with another rifle, maybe a /PSL/FPK/SVD (to some people all AKs are the same) or C) Just wants to sell you something more expansive / doesn't like anything AK

IMO To make a statement like that I think he has his AKs confused. He's probably thinking of the PSL/SVD they need the light ball stuff. Most likely he's not really a big fan of AKs, doesnt know much about them and heard something about a big caliber AK needing light ammo.

Edited by Arik

I stopped by my local dealer to inquire about the availability of a woodstocked 308.His response was that the 308 broke often because it was not made to handle such a heavy load.Could you please share your experience.The 308 is on my short list.Thanks

He's either lying or clueless. Take your pick, or better yet, take your business elsewhere. If he's that unwilling to verify facts or that unethical of a seller, you probably don't want to do business with his shop.

• Like 3

He's either lying or clueless. Take your pick, or better yet, take your business elsewhere. If he's that unwilling to verify facts or that unethical of a seller, you probably don't want to do business with his shop.

Cheers to that, it sounds like more gun store bullshit. I haven't been in these forums as long as some people, but I've never seen a destroyed 308. Most of the pictures of guns I see which are fucked up are due to negligence: improper maintenance, bad reloading, improper handling, stupidity, etc. Like the pic of the blown up FN57 which was going around, after FN investigated it, they determined it was, because the user had made some hot loads; they replaced it anyway.

Thanks for such a quick and thorough reply.Now all I need to do is find a dealer in Ct with a wood model.No interest in building an AR lookalike.Mike

z-58

mini-14

Glock 17L

S&W model 65

Luger LCP

Check out ver21 - it's already "converted", i.e. trigger in the correct location and looking pretty darn sweet to boot and all cast in wood.

Your dealer want to sell you a more expensive AR10 or FAL, no probs with S-308, they are solid, and loads of fun.

My thought's too. The regular Saiga .308 can be converted to wood other than plastic furniture. I choose the later for the functionality of some of the attributes such as light weight and rails, along with collapsible stock.