Hey All,

I want to buy a pistol and i've never owned one, but have shot a few. I cant decide what caliber i want. I am most leaning toward the .45, or 9mm due to ammo abundantcy, but am considering the .40cal as well. No matter what caliber i get, the gun WILL be a Springfield XD. im not a Glock fan at all and im tired of people i know shoving Glocks down my throat. Springfield has been making guns for over 200 years and just about 50 years ago, Glock was making plastic shovels!

please state your Votes and reasons clearly.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What no 10mm? You hate Glocks, but you don't even own a handgun? If that's what kind a party this is gonna be I think I'll just stay home and stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.

Don't really think George Washington was thinking of the Springfield XD polymer pistol when he called for the Springfield Armory to be built in 1777. Nor does he even know that it has been sold. Now

Because this is the most worn-out topic ever seen on gun boards. With the possible exeption of AK vs. AR. Or maybe even GLOCK vs. XD lol.   There's no definitive answer. Get whatever you feel comfo

Posted Images

why is this beating a dead horse? i asked for an opinion...

Because this is the most worn-out topic ever seen on gun boards. With the possible exeption of AK vs. AR. Or maybe even GLOCK vs. XD lol.

There's no definitive answer. Get whatever you feel comfortable with, or ideally all of them.

• Like 4

I can't believe you would dog out Glock while drinking XD kool aid. Kinda splitting hairs there. How long has springfield been making polymer pistols? How many departments are currently carrying xd's?

PS - I didn't vote

#1) I dont fully trust the safety on the Glock's and i think that Springfield improved it by added the 2nd grip safety to their gun, making it seem much safer in my eyes.

#2) Just because LE Depts. are carrying glocks, doesnt make them the best! it just means they got the best price on them!

#3) If i had a Dollar for everytime i heard that "Glock is the best" I could buy out the company! Im just so sick of hearing "Glock this" or "Glock that" that i refuse to ever buy one! I work with a TON of people that preech on all day about Glock and thats the ONLY gun they have ever shot, and have ZERO experience with anything else! I dont know why the Military arnt carrying the XD's yet.

Again, no disrespect but after my explanation above, maybe you can see why i feel the way i do about Glock.

Edited by RoughRider666
  • Like 1

Yeah I used to be a glock hater, just because everyone liked them. I bought a Kimber Tactical II as my first pistol, sent it back three times for FTFs (they still couldn't fix it), and then decided maybe there is a reason a Glock is so popular. As far as a practical pistol that won't wear out, won't fail, is decently accurate, I'm a Glock guy. I think they compliment AKs very well. The Kimber was a nice range toy but I would never trust my life to one.

BTW- the primary safety on any gun is in your melon. Glocks don't get up and shoot people on their own.

• Like 3

RoughRider666 I am not trying to dog you out here, I am juts making an observation. You really have posted some decent stuff here lately.

However, you admit that you know very little about handguns, yet you know that the Glock is no good, especially because you are tired of all the "TON" reports of how great they are...

You are not looking for an opinion, you are looking for validation.

I have never said that there was anything particularly wrong with the XD, I have said that it is unproven! It is just some Croatian pistol, with the SA name tagged on it. It was originally sold as the HS2000 and has had major quality control issues. It never sold for beans before it was imported and renamed! It is not an improved Glock, that is just SA Marketing spin.

But, get what you like! The big reason that they are pushed so hard is that they are sold cheaper to gunshops where the clerks convince noobs that is an improved Glock because they will make more money on it then a Glock. You seldom see a pro with one in his holster!

Twinson, here is your chance to yell Bullshit on something I wrote! We have been agreeing to much lately and I want to help a fellow board member out! :lolol:

• Like 2

Oh, I love my matched pair of Glock .45's almost as much as mu Matched pair of Glock 20's. So much, I had this dual Glock rig custom made to tote them both when I could get away with that!

Ignore all the rest of the stuff on the table, most are just old work tools from years gone by ...

WorkTools.jpg

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

The best handgun is one that you can use under pressure and reliable enough to not let you down. Only hits count, not caliber or mechanical design.

If you don't know much about handguns, go to a range and rent each one they have available. Then go to other ranges and do the same. Eventually you'll learn what works for you. In the end, it may turn out to be a .22 revolver.

• Like 1

Hey All,

I want to buy a pistol and i've never owned one, but have shot a few. I cant decide what caliber i want. I am most leaning toward the .45, or 9mm due to ammo abundantcy, but am considering the .40cal as well. No matter what caliber i get, the gun WILL be a Springfield XD. im not a Glock fan at all and im tired of people i know shoving Glocks down my throat. Springfield has been making guns for over 200 years and just about 50 years ago, Glock was making plastic shovels!

please state your Votes and reasons clearly.

First off, congrats on your decision to buy your first handgun. Something to remember when deciding on a caliber: they all are underperformers when compared to long guns. A handgun is a compromise between portablity and power. Whether 9mm, .40 s&w, or .45 ACP, quality defensive ammunition will get the job done. Choose the largest caliber you can accurately get hits on vital areas with. I'm sure you've heard that a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .45 every time. Shot placement is a life saver.

My first handgun was an XD9, I traded it for my first Saiga x39 after owning it for 2 years. Its a great pistol. As a new shooter, I felt more comfortable with its more obvious safety feature (the grip safety), than its older Glock cousin. Having shot both, they BOTH have merit, BOTH will do what they are designed to do in trained hands. BOTH are quality pieces.

I have to agree with Azrial when he says it sounds like you are seeking validation. It sounds like you've closed yourself to any other choices and will not be persuaded. That's O.K., but to be fair, when asking for advice, expect some you may not agree with.

May I suggest a forum dedicated to XD owners? You can get good info from people who have owned them, shot them, and fix them. Its called xdtalk.com. Good luck if you go there, you'll find fewer Glock snobs there than on other sites.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

#1) I dont fully trust the safety on the Glock's and i think that Springfield improved it by added the 2nd grip safety to their gun, making it seem much safer in my eyes.

You shouldn't have to worry about it if you follow the proper safety rules.

Based on my limited experience I think the Glock is an excellent firearm. Definitely the best Double Action only I have shot closely followed by the XD series. I have only been in this hobby since early August, but I have shot a wide range of handguns in the last few months.

The only reason I am choosing an XDm over a Glock is for the grip. The XDm feels better in my hands than the current gen Glocks.

To get back on topic, .40S&W is the caliber I have enjoyed the most and performed the best with.

• Like 2

WorkTools.jpg

Is that a 40 round mag in the AR?

You shouldn't have to worry about it if you follow the proper safety rules.

+1

For the Black Hawk Down fans:

"Sir, this is my safety."

safety.jpg

• Like 3

What no 10mm? You hate Glocks, but you don't even own a handgun?

If that's what kind a party this is gonna be I think I'll just stay home and stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.

you have fun with that one... :unsure: Keep your sexual fetishes to yourself...

Edited by RoughRider666

Is that a 40 round mag in the AR?

Yeah, one of the rare Armalite 40's. It always ran well, though most folks don't like them. I have a few BetaMags now...

That pic is many years old, as evidenced by the old CAR-15!

It was taken when I dumped a lot of accumulated stuff out of the truck of my old cruiser for a new ride.

If you're already set on a full sized xd, then the 45 is by far the best choice. The 9mm would deserve some consideration if you reload and intend it mostly as a range gun with alternate service as a home protection piece. The 40 splits the difference between 9 and 45, but it uses more powder and bullets are more expensive than the 9. The 45 is also the best weapon if (when) we are all reduced to casting out own bullets, or if FMJ is all you can find. The FMJ was used in WW1 and the 1911 developed a pretty good reputation as a one shot stopper down in the trenches.

In a 45, I'd go with the XD, in a 9 it's glock all the way. In 40, I'd go with a sig, but that's just me. XD has the high cap in 45, the glock is foolproof and holds a fistful of 9mm in it's reliable self, and I'd lean with a sig in 40 because glock 40's don't fully support the case and a sig is as reliable a gun as exists. Sig in 9mm would be good too, but in a 9 the glock is my preference and the glock seems as though it holds more rounds for the same size gun.

• Like 1

According to rumblings on the Internet, .40 S&W seems to be the easiest cartridge to find actually in stock on the ammo shelves right now. :unsure:

Yep, I see more of it available then any other centerfire pistol caliber!

Also there is a lot of LEO brass out there! A smart guy might offer to buy it from their local PD for a little more then the reloaded will pay them to turn it back in..

• Like 1

RoughRider,

Both the XD and the Glock are good guns. Just pick the one that you like and can get the best deal on at the time of purchase and have fun. They both have their good and bad sides, but it all comes down to the individual shooter/owner. I currently own 5 Glocks in several different calibers and carry one on duty daily. While I love my Glocks (saved my life and did not let me down), I also like the XD's, have shot a ton of them and would not have a problem owning one.

Just pick the one that fits YOU the best and go from there.

As far as calibers go, any of your choices will work fine. I picked the .40, but only due to having more experience with the ballistics of that caliber. Many years ago, there was a huge difference in the amount of stopping power between the 9mm and the .45, but with the newer style ammo on the market now, the gaps have closed up a bit. The .45 will throw a bigger piece of lead down range, but you sacrifice some magazine capacity. The 9mm will throw a smaller projectile down range, but you gain a few extra rounds. The .40 is a good compromise between the two with magazine capacity and just slightly more power than a standard 9mm round due to a heavier bullet.

Check around your local stores on prices for your ammo as well. The 9mm will normally be the cheapest and the .45 normally the most. Getting .40 seems to be easier right now, at least in my area. Bottom line is just pick the handgun that YOU like the most in the caliber that YOU trust the most and have fun. You can not go wrong with a choice like that and both guns and all calibers will do what you need them to do. And CONGRATS on you future purchase. :super:

• Like 3

I have the Glock in 9mm and the XD in .40 cal. I prefer the XD. It simply fits my hand better (like a dick in mashed potatoes) while the Glock doesn't. Also I think trading a few rounds of capacity for a more powerful round is worth it. I'd definitely recommed shooting both side by side and then decide.

• Like 1

I have the Glock in 9mm and the XD in .40 cal. I prefer the XD. It simply fits my hand better (like a dick in mashed potatoes) while the Glock doesn't. Also I think trading a few rounds of capacity for a more powerful round is worth it. I'd definitely recommed shooting both side by side and then decide.

+1!!!

Roghrider666:

Not to start a caliber war with the others who are from the .40 or .45 camps. I came across this info last year when I was switching from Federal Hydra-shok to what I carry now. Based on what I saw, I don't feel undergunned with my daily carry.

The complete report (including terminal ballistics and pics of each round tested) can be found at the link below the image.

EDIT - Image deleted. Sorry, for some reason when I link to the image it won't appear on this thread. The link to the main article is still good though.

Independent Test of Popular 9mm Defensive Loads

Hope you find the info useful.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

If I had no pistol, I'd get a 1911. I'd go 9mm or .45, but now that AAC makes a nice silencer in .45 and you can actually now own a .45 that is decently quiet, I'd go .45. Personally, I'm going to shoot 9mm AND .45 for probably the rest of my life. 9mm is cheap and I have a silencer for that caliber already. .45 I think is badass and if I had to shoot at something with a pistol, that's the round I'd use.

Twinson, here is your chance to yell Bullshit on something I wrote! We have been agreeing to much lately and I want to help a fellow board member out! :lolol:

Ok, I call bullshit! It's spelled Twinsen! With an E! And he's from planet Twinsun, with a U! Some people.

Also I still cannot stand the Glock. :haha:

Oh and there is a loading of .40 that makes a good inbetween for 9mm and .45, but I see no value in going not as good as .45, but not as cheap as 9mm. But I have seen piles and piles of both .40 and .357 sig on shelves when there's nothing for other calibers.

Edited by Twinsen
  • Like 2