• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What no 10mm? You hate Glocks, but you don't even own a handgun? If that's what kind a party this is gonna be I think I'll just stay home and stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.

Don't really think George Washington was thinking of the Springfield XD polymer pistol when he called for the Springfield Armory to be built in 1777. Nor does he even know that it has been sold. Now

Because this is the most worn-out topic ever seen on gun boards. With the possible exeption of AK vs. AR. Or maybe even GLOCK vs. XD lol.   There's no definitive answer. Get whatever you feel comfo

Posted Images

Hey All,

I want to buy a pistol and i've never owned one, but have shot a few. I cant decide what caliber i want. I am most leaning toward the .45, or 9mm due to ammo abundantcy, but am considering the .40cal as well. No matter what caliber i get, the gun WILL be a Springfield XD. im not a Glock fan at all and im tired of people i know shoving Glocks down my throat. Springfield has been making guns for over 200 years and just about 50 years ago, Glock was making plastic shovels!

please state your Votes and reasons clearly.

I just want to correct this common misconception. Springfield Armory Inc. was not producing guns 200 years ago, it was founded in the 1970s. That said, XDs are okay. I vote 9mm because it's effective, cheap, allows you to practice more and gives you a few extra rounds be mag.

Edited by bigj480

Dear Roughrider666,

Just wanted to apologize for my "offending" you with my humor of mashed potatoes I will promise not to tell any more jokes on this site...... :lolol: BULLSHIT!!! All I was saying was that you basically just walked into a bar and said "I'm gonna get into watching the sport of football", then picked the most amount of jerseys in the room and said "hey I don't no shit about shit...but you guys suck cause you like that team".

So I'll be nice and not make anymore jokes.

If you are a beginer in the pistol world you should probaly find out how recoil sensitive you are first. You might really like the feel of an XD or 1911 in .45ACP in your hand but if you lose focus when shooting because the recoil is to much you'll never get the hang of it. You'll actually stop enjoying shooting it. You'll wince in anticipation of the shot, ruining your sight picture and thus making aiming pointless. If your already a gun owner you know how addictive buying guns are. Start with a smaller caliber like .40 S&W and work your way up until you notice your range scores going down.....

Do you have friends that shoot/own pistols? Go out with them and use there stuff, that'll give you a good feel as to what "feels" right.

But out of the 3 calibers you listed, I'd go with .45, alot of people say stuff like "it's cheaper to shoot this and so much easier to find" and there correct, it is cheaper to shoot 9mm than .45 if that's the reason why your buying a certain caliber then go with .40 S&W. As Azrial said there is a ton of it out there and it's usually (although there are always deals on it because the market is flooded with .40S&W) only a couple more bucks than 9mm.

I can't stress to you how much money I could have saved over the years if I tried before I bought. I'm sure the XD does feel good in your hands, but do you know how a 1911 feels? or maybe a Glock? ok ok to far to soon just kidding!!!!

Azrail nice setup, does your Department let you carry your Glock 20?

• Like 2

Like my buddy told me when I was sweating over what my first gun would be, "Get what you want and be happy." There's absolutely something to be said about trying before you buy, but there's not much to hate about the XD. Much like the Glockaholics will tell you, it just goes bang. That said, I agree with the previous posters who said you were booing the Glock just to be different. I know the teeming masses are usually stupid, but don't bash the gun if you've never even seen one in person.

Warning: :deadhorse:

You have to pick the caliber that works for you. A 9mm is going to kill a bad guy just as well as a 10mm if you shoot him in a vital enough area. Given the laws of physics though, a 10mm will be delivering more kinetic force, so more chance of hydrostatic shock and knockdown power, etc. In my case, I had to pick a caliber I could handle 'cuz I'm just a lil' guy, so I picked .40 to be safe. It works fine for me, though I could probably go down to 9mm without feeling underpowered and save my wrists some punishment.

... Azrail nice setup, does your Department let you carry your Glock 20?

Well I carried it when I was assigned to two task forces and the last time I was CLEO of my own agency. :D

Hey All,

I want to buy a pistol and i've never owned one, but have shot a few. I cant decide what caliber i want. I am most leaning toward the .45, or 9mm due to ammo abundantcy, but am considering the .40cal as well. No matter what caliber i get, the gun WILL be a Springfield XD. im not a Glock fan at all and im tired of people i know shoving Glocks down my throat. Springfield has been making guns for over 200 years and just about 50 years ago, Glock was making plastic shovels!

I just want to correct this common misconception. Springfield Armory Inc. was not producing guns 200 years ago, it was founded in the 1970s. That said, XDs are okay. I vote 9mm because it's effective, cheap, allows you to practice more and gives you a few extra rounds be mag.

That is the most ASS-A-NINE statement i have ever heard! Look up Springfield history! The company was founded in 1778!

as for your 1970's theory, it goes as follows:

"In 1974, the Springfield Armory name, trademarks, and product designs were acquired by Robert Reese, who formed a new company to manufacture semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle and model 1911 pistol. This company, now owned and run by Reese's sons, manufactures and distributes a wide array of firearms under the Springfield Armory name. However, the company is not located near the former armory site, but rather in Geneseo, Illinois."

So, you're telling me that all the Springfield Trapdoor 45-70's from the 1870's & 80's that have been in my family since the Indian Wars and the days of the Buffalo hunts aren't real Springfields!

BITE ME!!!

Edited by RoughRider666

Hey All,

That is the most ASS-A-NINE statement i have ever heard! Look up Springfield history! The company was founded in 1778!

"In 1974, the Springfield Armory name, trademarks, and product designs were acquired by Robert Reese, who formed a new company to manufacture semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle and model 1911 pistol. This company, now owned and run by Reese's sons, manufactures and distributes a wide array of firearms under the Springfield Armory name. However, the company is not located near the former armory site, but rather in Geneseo, Illinois."

So, you're telling me that all the Springfield Trapdoor 45-70's from the 1870's & 80's that have been in my family since the Indian Wars and the days of the Buffalo hunts aren't real Springfields!

BITE ME!!!

No machining, land, or buidlings were acquired? Sounds like a completely fucking different company to me.

Your 45-70 is a real springfield. A new M-1A, not a real springfield.

• Like 1

Hey All,

BITE ME!!!

No machining, land, or buidlings were acquired? Sounds like a completely fucking different company to me.

Your 45-70 is a real springfield. A new M-1A, not a real springfield.

If its not a "REAL" Springfield, then what is it? Please politely enlighten me. They are still made to Springfield Specs are they not? The Products designs that were acquired should have kept them all within the original specs, so technically it is still a Springfield product.

Edited by RoughRider666

You're splitting hairs, man. You said it yourself:

In 1974, the Springfield Armory name, trademarks, and product designs were acquired by Robert Reese, who formed a new company

There you go. Old Springfield was bought by a guy who then made the new Springfield company about 40 years ago. None of this has anything to do with whether the finished product is good or not, which it is, IMO.

• Like 1

... They are still made to Springfield Specs are they not? The Products designs that were acquired should have kept them all within the original specs, so technically it is still a Springfield product.

No, they are not. They are no more made made to "Springfield Specs" then a Sears 12 gauge is made to Ted Williams, the ball player's specs.

It is just a Croatian Pistol that Springfield stuck their name on to sell to the rubes when it would not sell on it's own merit. It is not proven, and at the slow rate of adoption by the pros, it never will be.

Don't really think George Washington was thinking of the Springfield XD polymer pistol when he called for the Springfield Armory to be built in 1777. Nor does he even know that it has been sold. Now lets have a little realization session shall we? When a company is sold (that technically no longer exists) you are buying patents and a business/manufacturing plan, the company name does not get hung up like Michael Jordans jersey for retirment unless the name has been patented or is still recognized under an EIN by the IRS. It was in the best interest of the Reese family to continue using the name considering the tight knit bond that had been originally there with the U.S. Government as one of its lead developers and producers for weaponry for MANY years. Springfield Armory had a difficult time in the 6os for I'm sure a few reasons but the main one was the development of the M16 platform. Until then they had never really had to worry about getting the contract for providing weapons to the US military. Essentially the M16 killed the production of the beloved M14 and 1911s weren't in real high demand in Vietnam (there were still a shit ton leftover from past wars) compared to earlier wars. Oh yeah FYI roughrider666 the M1911 was originally manufactured by Colt Manufacturing before Springfield Armory, which only started to produce them when overflow of orders came in.

Now to clarify, I have a deep respect for a company that has produced many fine firearms in its time for the US military, but everyone has to make a little money somehow, hence Springfield XD where they were so inventive that they took the 1911 saftey design and the material used by one of the most popular pistols on the market today (that would be Glock) added a grip that little girls could get there hand around, and added more saftey features since so many idiots are worried they might shoot themselves because they never learned how to operate the pistol platform correctly.

Also just a thought for you to consider, before the Reese family bought Springfield the US government owned it. I'm sure the standards were different when they were produced mainly for military not for a larger profit margin.

Now after that off my chest, didn't you come post here to get an opinion on what caliber you want to purchase? Because I'm pretty sure you havn't asked dick about that, actually reading all the way through this whole post the only thing you've tryed to do is give +1s to what you agree with and on top of that give an almost unbearable history lesson which you must have read of the must inaccurate source in the world named wikipedia.

Next time your out in Mass. (go to this website http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm) you should visit the Springfield Armory (this is the original one) and next time your in ILL go check out what Springfield Armory is now and tell me there not completely different. You want an XD fine that's great I really could give a shit, you want to give us an uneducated lesson after asking us a question, then piss off.

God forbid some poor young newbie just getting into pistols reads this for help on a decision, all he or she will end up with is more confusion.

Edited by YARP
  • Like 3

Don't really think George Washington was thinking of the Springfield XD polymer pistol when he called for the Springfield Armory to be built in 1777. Nor does he even know that it has been sold. Now lets have a little realization session shall we? When a company is sold (that technically no longer exists) you are buying patents and a business/manufacturing plan, the company name does not get hung up like Michael Jordans jersey for retirment unless the name has been patented or is still recognized under an EIN by the IRS. It was in the best interest of the Reese family to continue using the name considering the tight knit bond that had been originally there with the U.S. Government as one of its lead developers and producers for weaponry for MANY years. Springfield Armory had a difficult time in the 6os for I'm sure a few reasons but the main one was the development of the M16 platform. Until then they had never really had to worry about getting the contract for providing weapons to the US military. Essentially the M16 killed the production of the beloved M14 and 1911s weren't in real high demand in Vietnam (there were still a shit ton leftover from past wars) compared to earlier wars. Oh yeah FYI roughrider666 the M1911 was originally manufactured by Colt Manufacturing before Springfield Armory, which only started to produce them when overflow of orders came in.

Now to clarify, I have a deep respect for a company that has produced many fine firearms in its time for the US military, but everyone has to make a little money somehow, hence Springfield XD where they were so inventive that they took the 1911 saftey design and the material used by one of the most popular pistols on the market today (that would be Glock) added a grip that little girls could get there hand around, and added more saftey features since so many idiots are worried they might shoot themselves because they never learned how to operate the pistol platform correctly.

Also just a thought for you to consider, before the Reese family bought Springfield the US government owned it. I'm sure the standards were different when they were produced mainly for military not for a larger profit margin.

Now after that off my chest, didn't you come post here to get an opinion on what caliber you want to purchase? Because I'm pretty sure you havn't asked dick about that, actually reading all the way through this whole post the only thing you've tryed to do is give +1s to what you agree with and on top of that give an almost unbearable history lesson which you must have read of the must inaccurate source in the world named wikipedia.

Next time your out in Mass. (go to this website http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm) you should visit the Springfield Armory (this is the original one) and next time your in ILL go check out what Springfield Armory is now and tell me there not completely different. You want an XD fine that's great I really could give a shit, you want to give us an uneducated lesson after asking us a question, then piss off.

God forbid some poor young newbie just getting into pistols reads this for help on a decision, all he or she will end up with is more confusion.

ROFL!!!!

• Like 1

I voted .45 for no other reason than personal preference. I have owned .45 and 9mm pistols, S&W, Glock 21, Taurus 1911. With a new trigger the Glock was real nice. I didn't like the S&W sigma 9mm at all, but that was more due to the pistol than the caliber. My favorite is the Taurus 1911. I like the weight of it and it came set up nicely with a good trigger.

The best advice really is to shoot what feels comfortable to you. I just seemed to feel comfortable with my 1911 from the first shot and I shoot well with it, so it wins! You will most likely spend the rest of your life shooting targets with it, so all the debate of what caliber will make someone "more dead" than the other is irrelevant. If you are a good shot you will hit his heart or head so what's the diff? like I said, if you're not a cop you will just be shooting targets, (hopefully).

• 2 weeks later...

I've only owned one 40 so far (an XD). Three 45s, if I remember right, and somewhere around half a dozen 9mms, over the years. MY personal favorite is my 1988 Glock 17, but that's just because it fits my hand really well. My Taurus PT145 (10 shot 45) fits nicely too. The XD was a good pistol, but I ended up trading it last year.

I suppose there's something to be said for the round that makes the largest hole, but bullet diameter is only one consideration, and not the most important in my opinion. Assuming your choices are all reliable weapons, find a handgun that is comfortable to hold and one that lets you access the controls easily. If it doesn't, it won't be comfortable to shoot and you likely won't be as good as you could otherwise be.

Compare round count to caliber. The 9mms tend to have 15+ rounds in a large frame. 40s are about 10-12 I think, depending on model. The 45s usually will have less (maybe 6 to 8). There are many exceptions though. My Taurus isn't super huge, but holds 10 rounds of 45. It's a little large for CCW, unless I have a jacket. Good pistol though.

What it really comes down to is what combination of caliber and pistol model are you able to most comfortably put bullets where you want them, in the least ammount of time. Shot placement is more important than caliber (unless you're comparing a BB gun to a missle). Even a 22 in the brain will likely have greater effect than a grazing shot from a 44 magnum to the tip of the earlobe. Assuming you hit the BG center mass, a 9mm, 40 or 45 should all do the trick. Especially if you're using defensive ammo like silvertips or JHPs or something.

So there's no "best" answer really. There's only the best choice for YOU based on what elements comprize into the right pistol to meet your needs. Other factors like concealability might come into play, if you're looking at CCW.

Corbin

• Like 3

I own two XD's both in 40 and a Glock-22. I love all of them, they are all great guns. I am planning on buying a G21 because I want a 45. Dunno why, just want one. I am buying another Glock, because even though I love the XD's I spent many years trusting my life with a Glock. I will never own a 9mm, why? because I don't like them. I have no logical reason why. No horror stories of death and failure because of the 9 and no long drawn out studies of ballistics comparisons.

Buy what you want. But make sure you consider that when you go to the range you are not counting every round because you either can't afford more or find it.

• Like 2

Reorganization and sale of old line US weapons companies is very common. Colt's been reorganized at least twice. Marlin and H&R have been acquired under the Remington brand (and with a few exceptions Remington is pretty much just a brand). Herstal owns a bunch of companies including winchester. Ithaca is no longer the same company. Savage has changed hands a few times. All these companies survive on with a few of the original models occasionally made in some of the same places. Mostly, the old names are old in name only. Mossberg is probably the largest notable exception (still a family company more or less).

Where is the 357 SIG in this handgun Poll? Numerous State Police Forces are using the 357 SIG including Oklahoma-Texas-Tennessee as well as the US Secret Service and US Air Marshals Service.Springfield Armory XD or Glock 31 are both good pistols chambered in this round.

I like the CZ75 and 97. Try it before you buy it. A .45 might have more stopping power than a 9 but its also heavier and bulkier. Might make it hard to CC in the summer. And if you plan to CC but end up leaving it at home than whats the point. A compact 9 could be the best all around, or maybe not. It all depands on what you like.

As far as stopping/knock down power goes IMO it all comes down to luck. I've heard of people dropping from 1 .22 shot and I personally know of one who survived 4 x39 rounds to the chest. Get what works for you even if its a Glock. TRY IT first. I personaly like the CZ because its heavier and that takes some kick out of the recoil. For now I refuse to buy the XD only because Croatia has become a Nazi country after spliting from Yugoslavia. Having half my family die by the nazis I refuse to buy anything made there.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

9mm because so damn many fit in my Glock & with the Glock clip, small slide of the pistol & Extreme Shock Air Freedom rounds , I carry full size concealed without any loss of firepower. Not to mention, I always double tap, so 2 9mms beat 1 .45 any day.

It is important to remember that Glock were made without the EXTERNAL safety because they are a military pistol. They do have internal safeties though. I have never spaced it & forgot to take the safety off before shooting (like one might do if in a mental state of adrenaline induced shock in the surreal situation of being thrown into an unexpected combat situation) with mine, because there is none. But that is just my preference.

But your motivations remind me of someone who wants a sport compact car (Rice Rocket) & has never had one, but doesn't like Honda because everyone else has them.... Well, I found out both with Glock & Honda, there is a reason that everyone has them. They kick ass & are the best for aftermarket availability & long term proformance.

Whatever you end up choosing, just for the love of pete, learn how to shoot it well.

A lot of idiots that can't shoot to save their lives carry both pistols in all calibers.

Work your way out to 25 yrds & shoot till you're accurate.

I chose mine for personal reasons, as well as you should do.

I have no regrets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU

I like the CZ75 and 97. Try it before you buy it....

....For now I refuse to buy the XD only because Croatia has become a Nazi country after spliting from Yugoslavia. Having half my family die by the nazis I refuse to buy anything made there.

Arik, you should look into the polymer Baby Eagle by IMI of Israel, if you want an XD like polymer non-nazi pistol.

It is next on my list for pistols. Israelis can't afford to screw around when it comes to reliability & their troops carry it , so I would feel comfortable with the purchase sight unseen. Not to mention, they are CZ based & relatively inexpensive. (If you can find them)

BE_SemiCompact-Polymer_t.jpg

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

Where is the 357 SIG in this handgun Poll? Numerous State Police Forces are using the 357 SIG including Oklahoma-Texas-Tennessee as well as the US Secret Service and US Air Marshals Service.Springfield Armory XD or Glock 31 are both good pistols chambered in this round.

So Air Marshalls use the furthest penetrating common handgun caliber in flying aluminum tubes? I'd figure they'd have .45's with frangible bullets. You know so uh... they don't kill everybody aboard.

I would like to add my .2 . I own 3 9mm's and 3 .45's and several other calibers. I voted 9mm for a first auto pistol. If the Glock ergo's work for you they are very reliable and have lots of support from the after market. I would also look at the S&W M&P series. I find they fit my hand much better then my glocks, I have fired 2000 rds from the 9mm M&P and 1500 rds from the .45 M&P with zero issues. My G19 has also been trouble free as has my Taurus 24/7. In fact the only issue I have had was with one of my 1911's and that was only one mag that was bad. The bottom line is this. We have several wonderful choices in the auto pistol market. Try as many as you can and buy what you like.....then buy some more and shoot shoot shoot and have fun!

choose for what? Duty carry, conceal, recreational shooting, a hypothetical doomsday scenario?... I would like one of each. I actually bought the 9mm first. So my vote here matched the wallet voting I did in the real world. I can afford to shoot it. I have a crappy carbine in 9mm too. Wish I had picked up ruger's when they sold 'em. It's a fun plinker despite failing every test of quality except reliability.

For a duty gun, prolly .40. For concealed carry, I might lean towards the .45. For my likely next handgun purchase? .357 large frame S&W. I like how it feels and the load is about right. I can handle bigger things, but a 4 or 6" .357 is more fun. I don't think anyone can reasonably claim that it is not an effective defense round.

They are all good with the right load and all have advantages.

As for the .357 sig. If you want one get a .40 and use that a while. If you still want the sig, get the conversion kit.

Sure people knock on the 9mm, but decent hollow points do the job and mine comfortably holds 17+1, and I can afford to practice with it.

I think 9mm is a good first pistol, because it is enough power, and anyone can handle it and afford the ammo to be able to use it through practice. If you get really good and get bored with that, buy another. I always see tons of barely used large calibre pistols at gun stores, because the owners wanted the ultimate pistol, and found out it either hurt the wrist or the wallet too much to do more than a couple of times. With 9mm, anyone with a job at mcdonnalds can afford to practice once or twice a week without regrets. Try that with a .45.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

If you're going for concealed carry, go for the smallest lightest pistol you are comfortable carrying all day long, in a defensive caliber. 9, 40 or 45 are all good. 45 is best, but usually at a larger size and weight. Magazine capacity is a non-issue unless you're a movie action here, but then you'd never have to reload anyhow. It's not a simple answer. Try a bunch of guns, get what YOU like, but remember, you'll probably change your mind again after a year or two.

BTW: Paulyski: I drive a 2010 Camaro SS

Edited by patriot

So Air Marshalls use the furthest penetrating common handgun caliber in flying aluminum tubes? I'd figure they'd have .45's with frangible bullets. You know so uh... they don't kill everybody aboard.

A few bullets are not going to kill everybody on board but a successful terrorist bomber could kill everybody on board.I'm not sure what load they use but they could use special loaded ammo for the particular function of aircraft cabins.The odds a missed shot hitting a hydraulic line or wiring bundle and bring down the aircraft are SLIM.

... They are still made to Springfield Specs are they not? The Products designs that were acquired should have kept them all within the original specs, so technically it is still a Springfield product.

No, they are not. They are no more made made to "Springfield Specs" then a Sears 12 gauge is made to Ted Williams, the ball player's specs.

It is just a Croatian Pistol that Springfield stuck their name on to sell to the rubes when it would not sell on it's own merit. It is not proven, and at the slow rate of adoption by the pros, it never will be.

It is a damn good Croatian Pistol that is every bit equal to the Glock and other Glock wannabes.The Glock is an Austrian pistol that is IMPORTED to the USA.There are a lot more of us civilians than there are the "pros" and we are buying the XD or XDM over the Glock.I looked both pistols over and went to the gun shop looking for a Glock 31 and wound up buying the XD Tactical in 357 SIG.The XD is a BETTER FIT for me.It may be terrible for you but its GREAT for me.

Edited by ljv308
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Glock paved the way which I greatly respect, but I love me some XD! Just make sure you get a post '06 XD with the Melonite treatment. As for the round of choice, personally I say get some 357sig thunderf#@k, and then you can get .40 and/or 9mm conversion barrels. That's my advice, but hey, whatever creams your twinky.