• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What no 10mm? You hate Glocks, but you don't even own a handgun? If that's what kind a party this is gonna be I think I'll just stay home and stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.

Don't really think George Washington was thinking of the Springfield XD polymer pistol when he called for the Springfield Armory to be built in 1777. Nor does he even know that it has been sold. Now

Because this is the most worn-out topic ever seen on gun boards. With the possible exeption of AK vs. AR. Or maybe even GLOCK vs. XD lol.   There's no definitive answer. Get whatever you feel comfo

Posted Images

post-27610-0-75669800-1307068878_thumb.jpg

I voted 45acp, but, I like it in a good 1911.

Me too!

Me THREE!!!

Cool!

45's Rock!

Not trying to get off the topic, but has anyone seen the movie "Last Man Standing" ? Love this movie!

I voted for .45, but I wanted to get my 2 cents in. :)

9mm - Low recoil, relatively low-powered round, somewhere around a .36 diameter. Very nice for shot-to-shot recovery, as well as beginning shooting.

.40s&w - Pretty sharp recoil, which can muddle shot-to-shot recovery with novice shooters, but it is manageable with practice, especially with a heavier, metal weapon; can still get high fps for its size, and provides nice stopping power.

.45acp - The Grandaddy of pistol calibers. Decent recoil, but easily handled with some practice; Lower velocity than the above two, but has tremendous stopping power due to its superior mass. When you need to stop somebody, you can never go wrong with this caliber.

I honestly did not take the time to skim this whole subject, so if I sound redundant, I apologize.

My first pistol was a Baby Eagle(Jericho) .40s&w full-size. Loved it; very ergonomic(for me), and put a hole in anything I pointed at, even at 25 yards.

Since then, I have mainly centered on 9mm and .45 Long Colt, which is a lower(generally) recoil than even its automatic counterpart(ACP), but is a lot of fun to shoot.

Edited by Photoguy
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
The only reason I am choosing an XDm over a Glock is for the grip. The XDm feels better in my hands than the current gen Glocks.

The grip on the XDm 45 just seemed to fit my hand so much better than the Glock also. This was one of the primary reason why I chose the XDM45. The match barrel has also proven itself for me. As far as the caliber? 45 for pure stopping power. So far I have had zero issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

10mm Auto. The caliber's ballistics are impressive enough that it's getting me into reloading all by itself, (it'll be nice to load for my .308 as well).

Full-power 10mm energy vastly exceeds that of the calibers in this poll. Hell, you can hunt elk with it and the standard mag, (on a G-20), still holds 15 rnds, (17 if you put the +2 extension on).

g202.jpg

Shoot 10mm once and you'll be a believer.. unless you're a pussy, as the Feds were when their little fem "Agents" couldn't handle the caliber, (recoil is mild-moderate, depending on ammo, but never severe), and insisted on .40 S(hort)& W(eak) instead. :rolleyes:

The only downside to the caliber is the relative lack of popularity, (due to ignorance, I'm convinced), which makes good factory ammo pretty damn expensive. The cost would come down if some more of you bought a 10mm pistol and started shooting it. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

dude... i want a g21 and g23. i gotta admit though, a g20 is higher priority

but glock really should get into the larger calibers like 357 mag 44 mag or 50 mag

i think 357 mag would be ideal for our troops cause its a small diameter round, which means you can cram alot of rounds into a standard size magazine. why bother with 17 rounds of 9mm when you could have 17 rounds of 357 mag?

man, those desert eagles are nice!! i wish i had one of those, especially with reloading equipment. that seems like a requirement with any caliber thats fairly expensive, especially if its semi auto. those always seem to lead to at least a few mag dumps. lol

as for the 357 mag vs 357 sig, what i was getting at is that the 357 mag rounds have a smaller diameter which would allow you to put more rounds in a shorter mag. it would require the pistol grip to be larger, but i dont think it would be that much of an issue. If I had the tools id build one myself just to see how it handled.

Thanks, yeah they are, mine has the tritium target sights, adjustable for windage and elevation. It's very accurate.

I see what you are saying with the diameter, however there is the issue with the rim it's self. You'd need a curved mag or settle still for reduced mag capacity. The way around that is to make it a rimless casing like the 9mm, 10mm auto, .45 ACP, etc. This will allow you to work around that issue and aid your search for max mag capacity.

You could just call it .357 Auto And if you go ahead and add a stronger webbing to further strengthen it, it will turn into a reloader's dream (As if magnum round weren't already but it would help boost it's potential popularity.)

Edited by ShadowFire
  • 1 month later...

as for the 357 mag vs 357 sig, what i was getting at is that the 357 mag rounds have a smaller diameter which would allow you to put more rounds in a shorter mag. it would require the pistol grip to be larger, but i dont think it would be that much of an issue. If I had the tools id build one myself just to see how it handled.

Why reinvent the wheel? unsure.png

http://www.coonaninc.com/news37.php

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Last Man Standing was awesome, even though it was just a remake of Yojimbo. If you get bored sometime, count the rounds between reloads when Willis goes through that house. The continuity editor was on the ball.

I want the FBI's current-issue SIG in 10mm... and my wallet cries every time I think about the .45s I want: SVI Infinity 6", with a 4" little brother for carry.

IMO, for an off the shelf gun the Springfield XDM's (clarify the "M") are top picks. However, I am a better IDPA shooter with my Glock 17 Gen4 that I put about $200 into that would make it compareble to the "M" models. Switched out the springs and trigger connector, and switched to 3-dot sights. Trigger and sights are great now.

Keeping my Glock for IDPA and sold my XDM to help fund a custom 1911 that I've been waiting on 7 months now...

Both are great companies and comes down to how it works with the shooter

Have a 1911, and it is the finest combat sidearm out there IMO... The husband requisitioned ours. sad.png

THIS is what I carry, FNP-9. Nothing but steel case russian ammo through it so far (400 or so rounds), no hiccups at all. VERY accurate DA/SA. I like.red_heart.gif

ALMOST got the gen 4 Glock 19 over this, but wanted the SA for follow ups, this being 9mm. I love the G17 too, but I shoot better with this.

post-20073-0-87441800-1318282089_thumb.jpg

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

Please consider the XD(M). They have match grade barrels, and changeable back-straps so you can change how the gun feels...very nice feature even if you only change it to what fits your hand and leave it....To my surprise I like the biggest one. I like the gun so much I have one in 9mm and one in 45acp and since I can't decide which one I like better I didn't vote.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Quick and accurate wins the fight no matter the round and don't let anyone tell you 9mm is underpowered, it is as deadly as any handgun round provided you use a modern loading and place them in the vital areas. There is no such thing as "knock down power" with handguns, they make little holes, some fractions of an inch larger than others. Use what you are most proficient with and you will be much better off than just choosing the the most powerful first round defense.

By the way, here are some 9mm numbers....

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html

• Like 2

Like it has been said, the gun that is marketed as the Springfield XD was not made by SA but made in coratia and rotted on the shelves until the springfield name was adorn to it, so Glock still has that gun beat with its many years of plastic shovel production, followed by many more years of producing excellent side arms.

Onto the question at hand; 9 will seemingly recoil the least and 40 seemingly the most.

What are you doing with this gun, will it have to be concealed, in which case the 45 takes a hit in that department.

How much will you shoot this gun if a lot the 9mm will come out ahead here.

How much do you plan to shoot at living things, if so are you lazy, perhaps only shooting once or twice before tiring of it?