I'm pretty set on getting a G19 and using it for daily CCW when I move to SC.

If I get stuck up, and I burn through the 15 round mag on/in the attacker(s).............and the 9mm fails to do it's job, all the ".45 or bust!" guys can spray paint "I told ya so!" on my headstone. Fair enough? :D

Scratch that whole post above. :angel:

I'm going with the .40, in the form of a Glock 23. I'll also be getting a 9mm conversion for cheaper range gun. :super:

• Like 1
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What no 10mm? You hate Glocks, but you don't even own a handgun? If that's what kind a party this is gonna be I think I'll just stay home and stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.

Don't really think George Washington was thinking of the Springfield XD polymer pistol when he called for the Springfield Armory to be built in 1777. Nor does he even know that it has been sold. Now

Because this is the most worn-out topic ever seen on gun boards. With the possible exeption of AK vs. AR. Or maybe even GLOCK vs. XD lol.   There's no definitive answer. Get whatever you feel comfo

Posted Images

If I get stuck up, and I burn through the 15 round mag on/in the attacker(s).............and the 9mm fails to do it's job, all the ".45 or bust!" guys can spray paint "I told ya so!" on my headstone. Fair enough? :D

I'm going with the .40, in the form of a Glock 23. I'll also be getting a 9mm conversion for cheaper range gun. :super:

Haha, I was just looking into getting a 9mm barrel for my G22 instead of the G19.

But, I'm facing a an internal conflict between replacing my Gen 3 with a Gen 4, because it's a hassle to sell my 9 mags and have to buy all new ones. But the overall size and feel of the Gen 4 just suits me so much more. Maybe I will just get a Gen 4 G22, keep the Gen 3 and replace all mags. Non compatibility is just very frustrating for me.

Haha, I was just looking into getting a 9mm barrel for my G22 instead of the G19.

But, I'm facing a an internal conflict between replacing my Gen 3 with a Gen 4, because it's a hassle to sell my 9 mags and have to buy all new ones. But the overall size and feel of the Gen 4 just suits me so much more. Maybe I will just get a Gen 4 G22, keep the Gen 3 and replace all mags. Non compatibility is just very frustrating for me.

I thought I remember reading that Gen3/Gen4 compatibility issues only come up when you change over the mag release to the right side on the Gen4 Glocks and try to use Gen 3 or earlier mags. :unsure:

I'm not 100% sure, though.

Something to look into though, before you start replacing mags.

EDIT: I found a post on Arfcom confirming what I thought. PM sent...

Edited by -Shooter-

Whatever you do Shooter get the extended mag release.

I was pretty close to ordering some parts for it, even though I don't have it yet. I figure I'll get some rounds through it and see what I feel I need. I will admit, the factory mag release on my buddy's G27 was a bit "small". I had to change my grip quite a bit to manipulate it. But this was just from messing with it for a few minutes.

I was pretty close to ordering some parts for it, even though I don't have it yet. I figure I'll get some rounds through it and see what I feel I need. I will admit, the factory mag release on my buddy's G27 was a bit "small". I had to change my grip quite a bit to manipulate it. But this was just from messing with it for a few minutes.

Yeah that's the problem I had, I had to roll my hand around to get at it. The extended one is very easy to do without modifying your grip. The G23 is a nice gun. Felt better in my hand than any of the others.

Yeah that's the problem I had, I had to roll my hand around to get at it. The extended one is very easy to do without modifying your grip. The G23 is a nice gun. Felt better in my hand than any of the others.

Glad to hear it.

How do you feel about the extended mag release and concealed carrying it? Some say it's a hazard, from what I read.

I could see where it could maybe be a problem, I'm sure some holsters take this into account. I hardly ever carry like that so I'm not too sure.

Thanks for the info.

I guess it's just another thing that I'll have to wait and try out.

• 2 weeks later...

I could see where it could maybe be a problem, I'm sure some holsters take this into account. I hardly ever carry like that so I'm not too sure.

Thanks for the info.

It seems like the polymer holsters tend to work best with the extended mag release.

A friend of mine has a leather holster and an extended mag release on his G22. He can no longer use it because it engages the release when holstered.

I have 2 polymer holsters. 1 Blackhawk and 1 Galco and neither one would be an issue.

I prefer my Galco holster because the lock is on the inside, but sadly, that holster seems to scratch and wear on my Gen 4 slide/bluing.

The Gen 4's have a very nice larger style release which I've become accustomed to. I no longer feel any need to carry or even use my Gen 3 G22. :cryss:

I just stick to my Gen 4.

I'm really looking forward to next month when I can get the Gen 4 G23.

My local shop hasn't gotten one in yet, plus there's a dumb 1 handgun per month law in my state.

Let me know what holster you end up with and how it fairs with your pistol.

I'm looking for something in the Galco style that wont mar my pistol. :unsure:

Thanks for the info.

It seems like the polymer holsters tend to work best with the extended mag release.

A friend of mine has a leather holster and an extended mag release on his G22. He can no longer use it because it engages the release when holstered.

I have 2 polymer holsters. 1 Blackhawk and 1 Galco and neither one would be an issue.

I prefer my Galco holster because the lock is on the inside, but sadly, that holster seems to scratch and wear on my Gen 4 slide/bluing.

The Gen 4's have a very nice larger style release which I've become accustomed to. I no longer feel any need to carry or even use my Gen 3 G22. :cryss:

I just stick to my Gen 4.

I'm really looking forward to next month when I can get the Gen 4 G23.

My local shop hasn't gotten one in yet, plus there's a dumb 1 handgun per month law in my state.

Let me know what holster you end up with and how it fairs with your pistol.

I'm looking for something in the Galco style that wont mar my pistol. :unsure:

As of right now, I'm 99% sure I'm going with the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe, or the Comp-tac CTAC or MTAC. I'll let you know which one I get. I probably won't be for awhile, as I have to get my CWP first.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a Glock 22 the other day. 40S&W packs decent power. Still like my 1911 but my G22 has become my carry gun. I don't feel under powered with a 40 like I do with a 9mm. I prefer 45 but 40 is cheaper and gives me more capacity in a similar sized frame.

• 1 month later...

The only really nice thing about opting for a .45acp vs other rounds is the versatility offered.

I've done ultra low recoil 255gr hard cast .45acp for a 1911 and I've done ungodly hot 200gr 45super. I recently migrated to a 460rowland kit for my 1911 and have further explored how far the 45 caliber can go with it. I'm running 200gr FN bullets at around 1400fps. Pretty sweet for a gun that you can CCW.

Can't lie though, I do love the 9mm. I have a bad taste in my mouth from my experiences with 40S&W, I've had 3 guns chambered in it, and all of them were too snappy to really be able to shoot with confidence, or a quick follow up. All of them were exceptionally accurate though.

For a glock, I really love the .45gap. My daily CCW is an OD model 37. It shoots beautifully, hardly any recoil, very accurate, and a nice small grip.

Edited by Mephis
  • 2 months later...

Holy hell the thread is back! I was in the .45acp camp because I love my 1911, but after a lot of research, I'm thinking about switching to .357mag. S&W makes a nice 2.5" 8 round revolver and Taurus makes a nice 4" 8 round revolver. Either one of those would be hard to beat. Having the option for .38 is also cool.

All of these calibers are known to kill (proven by years of military and police use), so I think people should just go with what is most comfortable for them. Currently, I only have 9X19mm when it comes to the three choices in the poll (I have a Gen 3 G17 and I am getting a Gen 4 G19 for concealed carry), but I like the round because it is cheaper and a fair deal of 9mm guns have good magazine capacity). I do plan on getting a 1911 of some sort in the future (I rented one and loved it), so I will eventually have more .45ACP experience.

Edited by 7N6Wolf
  • 2 months later...

You'll never get 100% agreement on the caliber or handgun.

I've always been a fan of 40 caliber ever since it came out. I bought a PC4 Ruger carbine before I ever owned a 40 cal pistol because I intended to go with a Ruger handgun which uses the same mags. Once I held one though, I didn't like it. Currently I have a Beretta PX4 in 40 and it works fine for me and my wife. I really like the H&K P30 but don't do enough shooting with handguns to justify twice the price of the Beretta. I don't have anything against Glocks other than they don't fit me (or her) comfortably. XDs fit my hand a little better but not as well as the Beretta.

Love the PC4 and don't intend to ever sell it. Everyone that shoots it loves it too.

i think it really depends on what you plan on using the pistol for. that being said, i think .45 is ideal for self defense, but its a little expensive for practicing. so it seemed appealing to me to get a 9mm for practice. although 22 lr would be a good choice too, especially if you want to practice alot.

9mm may be cheaper than 45 acp, but even 9mm gets expensive if you put enough rounds down range

there is an important distinction that i would like to make here. that is, in determining ballistics, its not just kinetic energy that contributes to a projectiles destructive capabilities, momentum also plays a roll. so were not exactly interested in only energy or momentum, but rather power, which is a relativistic 4-d vector.

Edited by Cali_Armz
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe you would dog out Glock while drinking XD kool aid. Kinda splitting hairs there. How long has springfield been making polymer pistols? How many departments are currently carrying xd's?

PS - I didn't vote

#1) I dont fully trust the safety on the Glock's and i think that Springfield improved it by added the 2nd grip safety to their gun, making it seem much safer in my eyes.

#2) Just because LE Depts. are carrying glocks, doesnt make them the best! it just means they got the best price on them!

#3) If i had a Dollar for everytime i heard that "Glock is the best" I could buy out the company! Im just so sick of hearing "Glock this" or "Glock that" that i refuse to ever buy one! I work with a TON of people that preech on all day about Glock and thats the ONLY gun they have ever shot, and have ZERO experience with anything else! I dont know why the Military arnt carrying the XD's yet.

Again, no disrespect but after my explanation above, maybe you can see why i feel the way i do about Glock.

simple: military and police forces wont carry XD's because when they need to use their firearms they dont have time to disengage 2 different safety features to save their life or the life of a victim or partner.anyone carrying a firearm and handling it properly do not have to worry about a standardized safety. carry a glock 22 .40 cal daily 15+1

If I'm carrying in a holster... then a Glock would be fine...

I've handled and fired them at the range and they're very nice...

...but....

If I'm carrying in my pants pocket, close to the jewels...

...I want that added safety :lolol:

Practicing with a safety, and disengaging same, when pulling it out of your pants pocket...

... it becomes your natural movement.

WHAT EVER you get...

...Practice your draw..aim..fire...

Smooth counts, no fast draw %$#* or you could shoot off a toe! :lolol:

I'm a 45acp fan myself... :super:

Both my concealed carry and my holster weapon...

• 2 weeks later...

The ruger sr9 is a great gun. Its a 17+1 and is +p rated. Ive owned one for 2 years now and I love it. BUT I have grown to love the 45acp. I picked up a colt 1911 compact about 8 months ago and it goes with me everywhere. The 9mm is cool because of the light recoil and higher capacity but I would trade it for a 7+1 capacity 45 any day. It all depends on your skill. If you can connect on the first shot everytime id go 45. But if you may need a few extra rounds id go 9mm or 40.

Dont bash on me but i am pretty deadly with my ISSC m22 haha. Sure its a 22lr but you can put 11 rounds of minimags in a 3 inch area as fast as you can pull the trigger. Plus the mags drop free and when you slam a fresh mag in it automatically releases the slide. Its quik and accurate. If I had one around and needed I wouldnt hesitate to use it. Its mainly a range toy but it has potential.