Magwell Adaptors

I made a similar thread a while ago. There did not seem to be any indication that one was vastly better than the others. Mr. Travers uses the surefire on his gun if that is worth anything. I found AGP mags at a much better price than what I found Surefire mags for and so I bought a bunch of AGP mags.

If you search or just look through the next couple pages you should find the thread.

Let me start by saying I don't own either magwell, so I can't really say this one is better than that one.... The thing I DID notice though was that if you had an AGP magwell, you could fit modified Surefire mags in it (as well as modified AGPs, since you didn't have to modify the well). If you have a Surefire magwell, you can fit AGP mags IF YOU MODIFIED THE MAGWELL.

I may be thinking wrong here, but it if you modified a Surefire well to work with AGP mags, the Surefires probably wouldn't fit as nicely. But modding Surefire mags to work with an AGP mag, while still being able to use the AGP mags, would be a plus.

I'm still holding out for something that'll work with my MD-20 drums though, so I can't comment much more on the matter.

Corbin

I own a surefire mag well and im glad i got it. I only own surefire mags so the choise was easy for me. I cant tell you how fast my reloads are not. its like night and day to me. Modding themags is easy and only take a few minuets to do. You have to get the extended mag release because without it dropping the mags cant be done easyly with the magwel on your gun...

Slug-O

I like my surefire magwell, but I only have surefires. I have no problems with them and Travers thinks they are more reliable. I found them cheaper, and they have more choices about size. If you are using it for competition you can get the clear surefire 12 rounders, and I am not sure if you can still get clear AGP's anywhere.

I am guessing either would be fine if all you want is 10 shots at a time. Or you have a bunch of one or the other.

Re: the drum, I think this is really better than a drum at this point anyway. a magwell +3 12 shot surefires is comparable money to a drum, and has more firepower. or maybe an 8 shot for normal use and a bunch of 10 or 12 shot mags when you want to play around.

When Mike Davidson releases his magwell and doublestack mags, that would be a cut and dry choice to me. I think that the traver's magwell will be a nicer part being made from billet and all that, but it sounds like Mike's will have a much lower price point and will work with more types of magazines, so that might push the JTE magwell out of a market. I feel kind of bad about that because it is a very well made part and he obviously did a lot of good innovation and so far his customer service is great. If MD wants to make a part that everyone can afford that is more versatile, how can I complain. (I can complain that the double stacks won't fit in the magwell I have, and that It is too nice to consider changing out for a piece of plastic.)

Oh, and I would say that the magwell would be a lot better with an extended release. The flared lip of the magwell gets in the way of quickly hitting the release with your new mag in an AK drill.

I just don't see buying one when it would be so very easy to weld, screw or rivet any scrap of metal onto the existing one. If you can't weld you must have at least one friend who can spare 2 minutes. just cut out a little piece of steel, and if you want fold a tab on it like some do, and mask the gun from stray splatter, and it should be ready in about 10 seconds of welding and a couple of minutes of careful grinding. I kind of feel the same way about spending $65 for a little piece of 1/4" square keystock with some knurling (the tromix galil handle) any one who can weld the thing on already has the scraps laying around to do one as nice. Those don't appeal anyway, but the price is absurd.

Are there instructions out there that explain what you have to do to get the surefires to work in an AGP magwell? I just recently bought a surefire mag and am much more impressed with it than the stack of AGP's I've got.

But, I've already fitted an AGP magwell to my gun.

Edited by lelandEOD

Hold off the Magwell if you can, I'm working on a DIYS option that should work with everything, including drums.

Mikel

This is a sarcastic joke?

No joke, I'll be cutting out/bending the steel tomorrow and doing the mods to my own S12. If all goes well, I'll know by the end of the weekend if my idea is workable and/or what I'll need to do to make it better.

PS - thanks Corbin, appreciated.

My question is why does JT Engineering make a Surefire magwell if the AGP magwell works with both AGP and Surefire mags???

Why have two types?

The magazine dimensions are different and will not easily work with both. There is no one size fits all and most likely never be. Another issue is the Drum. The Drum sits so close to the receiver that there is not enough room for a magwell. If the Drums feed tower was longer then it would work.

Hold off the Magwell if you can, I'm working on a DIYS option that should work with everything, including drums.

Mikel

No joke, I'll be cutting out/bending the steel tomorrow and doing the mods to my own S12. If all goes well, I'll know by the end of the weekend if my idea is workable and/or what I'll need to do to make it better.

so how did it go?

• 2 weeks later...

Mikel

UPDATE, I didn't have the steel I thought I did, so I tried aluminum. My concept worked great. And should work with drums as well as any mag. I tried Russian and Tai 5rndrs, Surefire 8s and an AGP 10 loaded with 3" mag slugs. No issues fireing, and drops staight out with simple pressure to the existing mag release.

Is easiest to load on an open bolt but can be done closed. Does require rather permanent alteration to the reciever, but can be fixed if not to one's likeing. Have done one in steel, but not fired yet, maybe this weekend. Also need to find more appropriate steel stock to work from to cut down my fabrication time/effort.

LRoDV,

Mikel

Mikel

UPDATE, I didn't have the steel I thought I did, so I tried aluminum. My concept worked great. And should work with drums as well as any mag. I tried Russian and Tai 5rndrs, Surefire 8s and an AGP 10 loaded with 3" mag slugs. No issues fireing, and drops staight out with simple pressure to the existing mag release.

Is easiest to load on an open bolt but can be done closed. Does require rather permanent alteration to the reciever, but can be fixed if not to one's likeing. Have done one in steel, but not fired yet, maybe this weekend. Also need to find more appropriate steel stock to work from to cut down my fabrication time/effort.

LRoDV,

Mikel

We need pictures of this!! You might be on to something.

Thanks Crusader and I'd love to post pics, but since this may be AK varient universal, I'm trying to decide if it's worth patenting, etc. I didn't get out to try the steel version this weekend. My woman just bought a new truck and I've been busy messing with it all weekend. I did find some better steel to work from though and will make a better rendition this week and try to get out to shoot it soon.

I'll let you know,

Mikel