22" Bullpup build

Bought a partial kit from a member here (thanks!). I had to fashion a trigger wire (I stole someone's idea about the 1/16" wire from Home Depot-wprks great), improvise a spring for the disconnector and really modify the pistol grip, but other than that-easy cheezy.

I have one problem, the spring I fashioned for the disconnector isn't quite right and every time I cycle the action it locks the hammer all the way back. I am certain I can either cut that spring or just get a replacement and it will fix that.

The trigger is pretty good, although I've only dry fired it, since I need to fashion a buttstock. Any ideas on that?

Preliminary Pics:

Bullpup1.jpg

Bullpup2.jpg

Bullpup3.jpg

I can't really judge balance yet either, but it feels good when I semi-shoulder the weapon.

Spoon

• Like 1
Really cool! whats going on with the sights?

Those are the sights that come with the kit. I am going to give them a try. I really love having the rear apeture/peep, but I am not to sure about the front post. Also, they are really high!

Those pictures rea;y suck..It's am oold camera and I am not the greates phtog.

Spoon

Didn't you get the KVAR Buttplate for this kit? If not I would consider calling KVAR and asking if they have any spare parts left.

If not, perhaps a standard stock mounting block would be the best answer, you could then mount a standard recoil pad to a plate drilled for the Ace 4 hole pattern.

Didn't you get the KVAR Buttplate for this kit? If not I would consider calling KVAR and asking if they have any spare parts left.

If not, perhaps a standard stock mounting block would be the best answer, you could then mount a standard recoil pad to a plate drilled for the Ace 4 hole pattern.

No, I didn't get the buttstock or the trigger wire (which was okay with me, the 1/16" wire from HD is actually really smooth on dry firing). I bought the partial kit from Boba Debt after seeing his thread about building his own version for the S-12. I figured I could make one but I guess I should call K-Var and see if I could get a replacement.

Thanksfor the idea.

Spoon

Hey Spoon,

Nice start. Similar to my S12 Bp(pic below), in the beginning, lol. Bullpupping is like any other Mod "Disease". Infectious as hel and hard overcome, lol.

However I gave up on the packaged sights as the S12 doesn't have the AK style sight to add them too. I went with a peice of 1.5" channel with a P-rail. This worked great on the S12 since the sights I mounted are a SMG/Pistol type that flip up to M16A1 sights. And I can add a scope as needed.

WARNING!! on the trigger wire, "soft" wire WILL stretch during live shooting. You might get 10-30 rnds(on the S12, your rndage may vary) down range till it wont release the hammer anymore. I'm looking into using a 2-3 peice, metal slat, if I can fit it in the receiver. I've just not been happy with any wire I've used including the one that came with the kit(KVar/Centuary Arms). I've tried the kits wire(it rubbed on the mags and often would not release the trigger, at least in the S12), Guitar wire(could not tighten/adjust it easily) and the soft "hardware" wire, explained above).

For your butt, might I suggest cutting out a fair chunk of your OE stock and glueing the reciever portion to the shoulder portion. I'd cut the shoulder portion in an L shape to fit under the reciever as well.

I'm working on a full lenght BP kit that should be Saiga Universal, with an Ambi-cocking lever, and Magwell alternative. I'll post pics of my prototype once it's done.

Good luck and have FUN(the mod is half the fun of the gun),

Mikel

post-15573-12589895035211_thumb.jpg

WARNING!! on the trigger wire, "soft" wire WILL stretch during live shooting. You might get 10-30 rnds(on the S12, your rndage may vary) down range till it wont release the hammer anymore. I'm looking into using a 2-3 peice, metal slat, if I can fit it in the receiver. I've just not been happy with any wire I've used including the one that came with the kit(KVar/Centuary Arms). I've tried the kits wire(it rubbed on the mags and often would not release the trigger, at least in the S12), Guitar wire(could not tighten/adjust it easily) and the soft "hardware" wire, explained above).

So funny you posted this. I was playing and dry firing last night and the wire stretched after a total of about 30 pulls. I had some stronger/stiffer wire here that I was able to fashion into a psuedo replacement...we'll see how it does.

While I had it apart, I pulled the disconnector spring and clipped it and that solved the other problem I was having.

Still haven't found a solution to the stock problem. When I bought the rifle, it had a TAPCO T-6 Stock on it and I don't want to destroy that, I'd rather sell it to someone who doesn't want to convert.

I'd like to find something light as the balance seems quite good at the moment and any more weight in the back will mean muzzle climb.

Spoon

I have to admit a sort of morbid fascination with bullpups.

I've had the chance to shoot the AUG, FAMAS and the SA80 - original and "improved" - extensively. The handling was good but, the triggers took some real getting used to.

While I like the idea of the Keltec RFB - I don't like the price and knowledge that it will take a couple of years once it is ACTUALLY available to work out the bugs.

Good looking rifle - keep us posted on your trigger solution!

-Ulf

Edited by Ulf

So I found an old Romanian (I think) stock at the local gun store (the manager actually gave it to me). I butchered it to create this temporary buttstock:

S4010037.jpg

S4010039.jpg

It choulders nice adn all, but I will definately get something metal fabricated asap.

Good points:

Free

I was able to retain the cleaning kit storage area.

Bad Points:

It weighs too much

It not exactly purty

Hopefully, it will allow me to get to the range over this weekend an get a little range report in.

Reloads are ajust a bit tight, but I actually think with practice, it will be really fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Spoon,

Nice job on the stock. It's a start and is just one step towards perfection. How's that wire working? Looking forward to you range report.

No range report yet, (due to the wife's upcoming neck surgery I've been busy getting ready and taking care of the little spoons!) but I did make a modification to the stock:

S4010056.jpg

S4010051.jpg

S4010057.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get to the range next weekend-depending on the recovery period for the wife's neck job.

Spoon

How is the new wire working? If it doesn't is there room to use a strip of heavy gauge sheet metal? A 1/4 strip of heavy (1/16) sheet metal would be much more resistant to stretching I would think, the only problem I would foresee is, the attachment points would probably need to be reinforced.

First, thanks for all the compliments, but really the praise belongs to the folks who have gone before me on this site. It's only thanks to ALL the info available on this site that I was even able to attempt this project.

Believe it or not, I have not yet been able to fire the bullpup...IT"S KILLIN ME!

My wife had surgery yesterday on her neck and the last few weeks leading up to the surgery have been too hectic to get out to therange or to the property we own. My hope is to get to the range this weekend .

I am also looking for an old school SKS 1" rubber buttpad to add to the stock...

Edited by thereisnospoon

Finally made it to the range yesterday! Fired about 60 rounds through the Bullpup using 1982 stamped surplus ammo (the greenish/blueish box stuff...). Weather was cold for Alabama and the skies were overcast. A perfect day for shooting!

Overall I am fired up. The FSB/FH combo worked very well, even though I dinged it a little (okay A LOT) during install. Recoil was reduced SIGNIFICANTLY enough that I don't think a rubber butt pad will be necessary. I must have canted the FSB a little because in order to get spot on, I had to run the front sight all the way left and the rear almost to its right limit. Speaking of the front sight, I also had to elevate the front sight so much that I ended up setting a piece of cardboard under the post you screw into the FSB to get enough elevation. I will replace it with a piece of aluminum and JB Weld it into place now that I know how big.

The trigger linkage worked really well for firing here at the house, but there was a problem at the range. It trips the sear fine and dandy at about 7lbs (according to my cheap fish scale) but it wasn't resetting after the shot. I have to do some investigating and engineering. I think it may require a reset spring.

All in all, I love the conversion. There are three major drawbacks IMHO; I was unable to re-install the BHO due to the trigger linkage and the front sight seems awfullly exposed for rugged use. Finally, you really get a snoutfull of the stinkin stuff they use in gunpowder when firing a long string...

Reloading, for me was perfect during drills and were actually a pleasure. The PG is far enough forward to be out of the way, but close enough to act as a sorta guide for my left hand as I reload. From Bolt lock, I would roll the gun right (clockwise) while hitting the mag release, pull a fresh mag and use it to bump the empty out then insert the fresh and roll left (counter clockwise) rack adn bang.

Glad to hear things went relatively well. What are yo using for the trigger linkage now? I had trouble with a thicker wire rubbing on the mag. Also, do you have a spring on the trigger assembly? The kit comes with one but you said you got the kit 2nd hand.

I like the new but, glad it working out. I've got a sheet metal bender and will be bending my own full length(reciever to muzzlebreak) stock once the holidays are done.

I think you might want to add an inch+/- to your reciever cover notch. I've watched the breach explosion vids of the AKs and it seemed that when such accured, the cover was forced back and up into the shooters face. With an inch or so additional lip, this should be less of an issue.

Keep up the good work.

Mikel

• 1 month later...

Sorry I've been distracted for a while but I stopped by today and saw your responses.

I do not have any springs on the front trigger, although I do have 2 small springs that came with the unit. The directopns made no mention thereof.

The wire I am using is working fine. It is actually wire from a garage door install, so it is thick, but flexible and doesn't seem to be an issue.

The trigger doesn't hang up during ry fire, only live fire...

Honestly, as fun as thids exercise is, I am reconfiguring the gun back to full size with a collapsible stock. Too many things to go wrong, IMHO with the add ons and do dads for this to be a serious weapon if SHTF, etc.

Spoon