upper handguard install

I have just started with the conversion this evening and though I would start out easy. I just put on the bottom handguard without a problem, thanks to dinzag's bolt on hg retainer. I am having a real problem installing the upper kvar plastic handguard. From what I can see I need to install it upside down then rotate it into place. Fine, 1 hour later and raw hands later, no go. So I see on one post to shave off a tiny bit of the lip to allow it to spin on. Before I screw up the handguard, I figured I would throw it out to you guys. Any help would be appreciated.

I have just started with the conversion this evening and though I would start out easy. I just put on the bottom handguard without a problem, thanks to dinzag's bolt on hg retainer. I am having a real problem installing the upper kvar plastic handguard. From what I can see I need to install it upside down then rotate it into place. Fine, 1 hour later and raw hands later, no go. So I see on one post to shave off a tiny bit of the lip to allow it to spin on. Before I screw up the handguard, I figured I would throw it out to you guys. Any help would be appreciated.

This is how i did it: I know not everyone has a Vise, but i used my vice with rubber jaws with a towel to prevent scratches and a shop towel in my hand to twist it on. Leave the part where the handguard goes sticking out of the vise, and just twist it on using the rag to prevent those nast blisters...lol

*NOTE* DO NOT TIGHTEN THE VISE TOO TIGHT AS YOU COULD DAMAGE YOUR GAS TUBE.

Edited by RoughRider666

This is how i did it: I know not everyone has a Vise, but i used my vice with rubber jaws with a towel to prevent scratches and a shop towel in my hand to twist it on. Leave the part where the handguard goes sticking out of the vise, and just twist it on using the rag to prevent those nast blisters...lol

*NOTE* DO NOT TIGHTEN THE VISE TOO TIGHT AS YOU COULD DAMAGE YOUR GAS TUBE.

+1

i always just grab the back end of the gastube with a wrench and turn the handguard on its raly easy with the wrench.

Thanks for the advice folks. Since I do not have a vice, I guess I have to try the wrench and twist. I was trying with channel locks today. Man my hand hurts.. Hopefully I have more luck tomorrow.

i always just grab the back end of the gastube with a wrench and turn the handguard on its raly easy with the wrench.

Thanks for the advice folks. Since I do not have a vice, I guess I have to try the wrench and twist. I was trying with channel locks today. Man my hand hurts.. Hopefully I have more luck tomorrow.

a large crescent wrench is what i used. first i used the Finishing Abrasive Buff dremel bit to take a 16th or so off of the inside of the hg upper. don't do the outside it will be noticeable. lay the wrench on a table with the gas tube in place. i used my left elbow to keep the wrench from twisting and it went right in very snug. give it hell....

wow, this job really sucks. No mention at all anywhere about what a PIA this is. I had to shave down the lip with a dremel, and I still can't get it on all the way. Makes me question how much fun the rest of this job is going to be. As of right now it is stuck on 1/2 way. Awesome. My hand is throbbing and I have a headache. ok rant off.