Who's is happy with an out of the box rifle?

Out of the box  

154 members have voted

1. 1. If you couldn't modify, would you be happy with an out of the box rifle?

I voted "yes", but only in the context that your original question implies. If I COULDN'T convert, yes. I'd be happy. The gun shoots great, feels sturdy, looks pretty doggone good as it is, and will impress you in it's imported form. Problem is, once you have shot a Saiga that has a better FCG installed, you'd FIND a way to convert. Once you feel the difference between the imported FCG and something like a Tapco G2, you realize that it truly is night and day.

Edited by TR Young
  • Like 1

You must understand, the firearms were never designed this way. This was a kluged up job to allow their importation into the USA. They are being restored back to their original design specification.

I would not have one as it is, out of the box.

• Like 1

This Saiga .308 (on table) is straight out of the box, Zero mods.

Scope added, (now on low Belarus side mount) it is fantastic, great trigger, (notice factory forward trigger, factory wood furniture and slant cut receiver).

I love it, have had zero problems, and it is very accurate

While I have no intention of owning one rifle, I wondered for years what it might be. A 16" 308 came my my conclusion. M1A Socom 16 was love at first pull-down. Of all the bad ass MBR's the one to tickle me was the sawed off Pvt. Pile special (Boston's Gun Bible awokened a deep respect for .308 mBRs). What got me besides being a full power rifle that rattled off like a really loud 10/22 Chevy Challenge racer. More than that...snob shame intact, I had a Mini14 all adult hood. Liked it over my Bushy shorty. The non-pg was well, with me since single digits in age with Crosman and Marlin, those endless hours. Now here's a beefy Mini 14 .308 MBR, or better a production M1A similar to spec of SEI and Lafrance K-Guns, at the time an OOP custom high dollar and one serious idea of one do it all rifle. I already knew the rifle since the day I turned 18, cut school to pick up a Colt 10mm, came home with a Mini and counted the days till I could out the Delta Elite in 3 years. Anyway, same OAL as the Mini, tougher and like my favorite surplus rifles (eg, Tanker Garand, SMLE Jungle Carbine No. 5, etc.), a big boy chopped and channeled for the virtue of handling while on the quest for a BM-59 Alpine folder. Setup for a scout rail which was my gig at the time till very recent discover of the Millett DMS. Anyway, my dream rifle existed. 3+ years later, no coveted Socom 16.

Occured to me today actually the RAA S-308 is seemingly almost there, just what would entail the Socom as a compliant S-308. Now the S-12 makeover hasn't even stated yey and my mind is plauged with visions and all night research of 16" and 20" .308s in endless configuration and with real enhancements to overcome AK human engineering (none of that fancy shit for my 12, that's just about being some kind of Street Sweeper/TSMG/AMD-65/Galil badboy). Now the .308 on mind could stand with the M1A's, FAL's, AR-10's, Galils and certainly G3 of similar spec, at my skill lever. KISS kinda guy but to make a kind of Galil or M-70 .308, AK sized rifle that goes from PSL to Krink/Micro Galil (or HK51/OSW rather) takes a little tacticool, mall ninja magic...no 3 Gun setup but irons wont cut it either.

Anyway, came back to the S-308 as it came how smooth it handled and wondered, what mods would be needed (compliance, smith work, etc.) to turn this 500. rifle of top basic design pedigree to match the 1800. bastardized (many non-M1A/M-14 parts unique to it). Could probablt be several things, progressing in budget. needs trigger job. Needs a Vais .308 comp (looks similar to the SA at least and priced like it has a job to do. No Flash hider, we want control, but remember plugs with this one). Ultimak rails since the SA has a rail up top. I'd prefer a better but still conventional stock and get a wood one to work over-refinish, contour as needed 12" or Warsaw length including a limbsaver, and furthe one up the Baby M1A with rear HK attachment point. Not sure what's out there to improve Russian irons...tritium post and a GR peep to replace the std. rear? Would the ultimak cover it anyway? There is that Apeture that hooks into the top cover release...

My mind is blown from all this shit and the wealth required to throw at them. Worth it though. Many consider the Kalashnikov's virtues enough to be the best AR in the world. The shit people on this site do are at the forefront of pushing it, more advanced than ever, can match Ronnie Barnhard's dream SOPMOD part for part. But let's still remember KISS when it counts, the root of why we all love this weapon family

• Like 1

I dont have a problem with the trigger like many of the people posting here mention, its not good, but I can live with it. I converted one 308 and even though it turned out to be awesome, I like the stock rifle in the 308. As far as the 7.62x39's and 5.45's, its 50/50 on that.

To me its a matter of balance, and point ability, the best handling rifle I own is my Winchester 94.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thoroughly surprised with the accuracy of my out-of-the-box S308 rifle. I was hitting the gong at 200 yards with no bi-pod or scope so I'd say it more than serves its purpose. I had maybe 2 feed issues with it during the first 50 rounds but I consider that a breaking in period and haven't had any issues since. I love my S308 and love it even more now that its converted. All in all the out-of-the-box rifle is a force to be reckoned with, convert it and you've got a whole other story of tactical (or hunting) supremacy. For the price, there is no comparison. :super:

With the exception of the horrible trigger, I was very happy with my Saiga .308 before I converted it. That said, it was the 22" model with the nice wooden furniture, and had a totally different feel to it than the synthetic stocked rifles. I liked it so much I wouldn't even convert it until I found another just like it. It wasn't too long though before the bug bit me again and I had to convert it. I have no regrets but would like to have another one day to leave stock. If there are two Saigas I could stand to leave in an unconverted state, they are the 19" S-12 and the 22" .308 with wood furniture. In fact I did keep one of my S-12s all stock except for custom fitting it with the wood I took off my first .308.

My first .308

post-1293-1262308296214_thumb.jpg

After conversion

post-1293-12623089697611_thumb.jpg

Second one after conversion...

post-1293-12623083891366_thumb.jpg

.308 wood on S-12

post-1293-12623087039371_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I would be happy if I had no choice to convert a saiga as long as it wan't the 308 version. I only had the chance to dry fire my s308---I went straight to the conversion. Who in the right mind puts a 15/16th centry crossbow trigger on a damn 20th centry weapon?

converted 308 :wub:

If I could not convert the S-308, would I still want one? Heck yes I would!!! :super:

I loved taking the unconverted one with me in Fudd country when I wanted a utility rifle to go for walks and maybe shoot a deer. Sometimes I like to go stealth. The .308 and detachable mags up the firepower from what a bolt gun would give me should I ever need it, and the beautiful part, is that underneath that "hunting gun" appearance is a pretty reliable semi auto action. :super:

I bought a V.21 specifically because it was already converted, plus it had a nice looking set of furniture. figured I could sell it easily enough if I started modding the rifle. A bipod and BeLoMo scope and I think I'm done.