Who's is happy with an out of the box rifle?

Out of the box  

154 members have voted

1. 1. If you couldn't modify, would you be happy with an out of the box rifle?

You must understand, the firearms were never designed this way. This was a kluged up job to allow their importation into the USA. They are being restored back to their original design specification.

I would not have one as it is, out of the box.

+1!

I couldn't agree with Azial more on that point.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I chose the Saiga 308 in the first place was because of the stock/trigger configuration. It feels similar to the BAR and (to a lesser extent) the M14. The weight and profile of the rifle are great. It handles well. Optics aren't difficult to mount. Sights are functional. It's accurate too, with the right ammo. Easy to maintain. There's nothing like chrome lining.

The trigger can be smoothed out, just like on anything else. You could replace the rear sight with an aperture type from Mojo, and I believe ACE makes a front sight drum that accepts AR15 type front sight posts. Personally, I need an extra inch on the buttstock. Then there's the extended safties and magazine releases, if you go for that kind of thing. Personally I'd also reccomend different sling swivels. Having vent holes in the gas-tube is good too.

With the exception of the horrible trigger, I was very happy with my Saiga .308 before I converted it. That said, it was the 22" model with the nice wooden furniture, and had a totally different feel to it than the synthetic stocked rifles. I liked it so much I wouldn't even convert it until I found another just like it. It wasn't too long though before the bug bit me again and I had to convert it. I have no regrets but would like to have another one day to leave stock. If there are two Saigas I could stand to leave in an unconverted state, they are the 19" S-12 and the 22" .308 with wood furniture. In fact I did keep one of my S-12s all stock except for custom fitting it with the wood I took off my first .308.

My first .308

post-1293-1262308296214_thumb.jpg

After conversion

post-1293-12623089697611_thumb.jpg

Second one after conversion...

post-1293-12623083891366_thumb.jpg

.308 wood on S-12

post-1293-12623087039371_thumb.jpg

wheres my wood!!!??

• 2 weeks later...

There is only one rifle I would never modify.

NDM-86 in 308

I would do some kind of permanent alteration to any other rifle to make it better.

Though if the NDM had problems feeding soft point or hollow point ammo I might make mods... I might also consider removing the barrel to cryo-treat it... Hand lap the barrel... Maybe tighten the fit between the guide rails and bolt carrier... True the bolt up in relation to the bore... Blueprint the action...

Ok, scratch the yes... There is no rifle that I would not alter in some way.

If you could'nt modify the S-308, I'd still own one...if you still had 20+ round mags. If I was saddled with an unmodified S-308 and 8 to 10 round mags, I'd look at something else. That said - I had given up my Israeli FAL, my GALIL and an M1A1 in favor of my modified S-308. Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!

PGT, you took the words right out of my mouth. I too recently procured a ver21. Ready to go right out of the box. I will however be picking up a 16 inch model and modding it in the very near future. Can't wait to get a few more mags from csspecs. I plan on installing surefire brake/adapters on both. One of the best brakes I've ever used. Only down side is having to lose the FSB. Silent but deadly comes with a price!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my .308 in today and I love it the way it is. The trigger position and pull are fine as they are. I wouldn't what to change the balance or handling. It is also my one and only so I will get minimum messing with. I did put on new sling studs today and mounted my 1" Alaskan Magnum sling, I'm buying a Krebs 1000m rear peep(form a forum member here) and a recoil pad for a little extra length of pull, that it...

I bought mine for wild pig hunting. All I needed was a good scope to be happy. It works good for what I needed,but now I'm

going to add a muzzle brake and convert it so I don't have any compliance issues. Like my hunting buddies say "that's one

bad ass rifle". I put down 3 pigs over 225 pounds each at a distance of about 75 to 100 yards. I think the brake will help

me with accuracy. It aint no sub 1 inch gun,but 2 to 3 inches aint too awful bad. With more time behind the gun I will get better.

• 2 weeks later...

I went shooting this morning with my new Saiga .308 with 16-in barrel. It was unconverted and the only thing not stock is the SGM recoil pad instead of the cheap hard plastic butt plate. I am very, very happy with my rifle and I don't have any intention to change anything.

That said, however if I live in other states, I would start converting it. But since I live in the oppressive California state, I'd rather have the not so evil looking sporting Saiga :-)

I just got my first Saiga .308 last week after giving up on my remington model 750 .308 due to jamming issues. I took it to the range the next day to zero it in and to my amazement it was aready dead on with its iron sights.This gun did not jam once but I did notice that it was denting the following rounds before they were being fed in but i can live with this. So the folowing day I took it hunting and shot a beutifull buck at about 275yrds.Needless to say I am very happy with this gun. The trigger took a little getting useto but now I have great confidence in this gun. I live on Guam where we have very dense jungles and steep terrain and this gun did great on its first vday on the job.I hope to do a pistol grip conversion in the near future. By the way I got this gun brand new in the box for $785. Which is a typicaly high price for guam. It was worth every hard earned cent

• 4 months later...

Pretty sure the V21 is made available with your reasoning in mind. It's beautiful out of the box (even as my wife was disappointed that I bought another gun, she commented on its nice furniture), but you pay a little bit more for it, too. Add a scope, and it's done.

Right now, I feel that the V21 is an heirloom type hunting rifle, and I doubt I'll ever sell it -- like the Winchester 62 that I got from my dad, it's a simple work of art that doesn't need improvement, but it's not so nice that it shouldn't be used at the range or in the field.

I bought a V.21 specifically because it was already converted, plus it had a nice looking set of furniture. figured I could sell it easily enough if I started modding the rifle. A bipod and BeLoMo scope and I think I'm done.

Edited by Koljec

I would be happy with out of the box Saigas, as long as I ordered them all with the thumbhole stock.

And, yes, you can order them from MAA with your choice of furniture, i.e. beautiful wood thumbhole stock, just like the ver.21.

When I buy my S.223, it'll be ordered thusly.

I like mine right out of the box.

I have the Skelton stock so I can hold it like a pistol grip (yes, I know it's not a "true" pistol grip).

I may also be broadcasting my ignorance but the trigger doesn't seem that bad. I don't know if the trigger on the IZ-134 is any different but the pull is straight back, not up like I have heard.

I did put a small scope on it. I like the adjustable cheek rest.

Now that I've said that...feel free to flame at will

Edited by thoricuncle

I like my rifle just fine out of the box. If I didn't have the choice to convert it i wouldn't complain. I got it a month ago and have put about 500 rds through it without any problems. I can't think of another rifle I could get for $400 that would be this much fun to throw this much lead downrange. I've got the 16" version and the fireball that comes out of this rifle is awesome. Every time I'm at the range and start dumping lead people always stop shooting and stare, often times asking me what kind of rifle it is. When I let people shoot it they always end up with a big smile. Right now I'm more worried about getting a TWS rail with a peep sight and a decent scope than doing the conversion.

Having said that, eventually I will convert it. Im in Cali tho so when I convert I will have to use a maglock, so I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can before I feel the need to covert.

Shot my .308 unconverted at my ranch this past weekend. It was cool, but I already had my parts ordered to convert which I should be getting in this week so I had already decided. Generally, as long as it goes boom and isn't a threat to hurt anyone then it's fine with me.

That's like asking if you're happy with an out-of-the-box jeep? Heck no. Spending thousands of dollars for a 'just right' weapon is for the 'can't do's'.

Bigger tires, bigger wheels, lifts, a winch, custom top, nifty new stuff to personalize whatcha got. That's America.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would LOVE to be able to get the OEM wood furniture on a 22" S308...they are so beautiful with it!!!! Make an old man drool!!! Wish I would have known about Saigas back in the day when you could have picked one up like that for a decent price! Heck, I wish I could afford to just buy the furniture and put on mine, but being that I've only been back to work for 6 months and was layed off for 9 months...it ain't gonna happen anytime soon, I was lucky that I didn't have to sell one of my three Saigas!...but, one of these days!

Edited by unclejake