Picked Up My "New" Draco

I bought one of the Draco pistols with dreams of someday SBR-ing it. When I got the first one, the RSB was waaaaay off. There was no way I would be able to compensate enough to get accurate shots out to 100 yards. I called up the vendor and they said just ship it back and they would replace it with a good one.

Today I picked up the "good" one.:rolleyes:

So now I'm out another $30 for my FFL and $40 for return shipping. Not a good start. The RSB is off, but I think it might be workable. It looks even worse in the pics than it does in real life. I decided to keep this one anyhow and wait until I find one that I can look over before purchasing if I want to SBR it.

I swapped out all of the furniture and put a (hopefully) recoil reducing muzzle device on the end. I took a few quick pics and thought I would post them for you guys.

Please feel free to chime in about the sights. I'm guessing I'm going to get shit for not sending this one back at their cost. I'm pretty happy with it and I think it will do what I want, which is to nail a silhouette at 50-75 yards. I doubt I could get much better than that without having a stock no matter how bad the sights.

post-16466-12591794165728_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12591794266387_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12591794452254_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You win in life.   kick-ass collection!

You're figuring from ignorance.   These aren't something that ol' Bubba Romany decided to throw together to sell to the capitalists. The Romanians have been making these for years before they decid

Well, if you want to look at it from that POV, any weapon can be made to malfunction. Provided you clean your M16 every day (at least once) like clockwork, it is very reliable. Don't clean it - well

Posted Images

put a red dot on that bad boy and your set for anything 100m and under! I think she looks awesome, I'm not an AK fan the only one I own is similar to yours, the red dot and a strap was the only thing I added to mine.

Thanks guys!

When I get a couple bucks together I'm planing on adding an Ultimak short tube, made for the AMD's, and an Aimpoint knock off. If anyone has some suggestions for the red dot, I'd like to hear it.

I can't wait to take 'er to the range and break it in!:killer:

ETA: I added a Troy Single point sling buy wrapping a piece of 550 cord around the PG nut and making a loop. It feels pretty sturdy. I still don't want to drill out the trunion for a sling swivel yet.

Edited by Moe Zambeak

Moe, how is the rsb "off"? You mean it's somehow canted or there's too much space between it and the front trunnion or... ? :unsure: It's not real clear from your pics, at least not to me. If I were inspecting the Draco in person, I'm sure I'd get your meaning in short order.

I'm a perfectionist who's had to come to terms with the fact that a "perfect" Kalashnikov, (rifle or shotgun), does not exist. Even Legion Saigas, (the best AK rifles I've seen), have one or two tiny imperfections.. if you really look for em. :D It's just the nature of this design, which really is one of its greatest strengths. Also, let's be honest, even the Russians, (pretty much the definitive source of high-quality AK weapons), do things "good enough". Cosmetic perfection is not their goal.

All that said... *shrug* She looks pretty good from the pics.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Moe, how is the rsb "off"? You mean it's somehow canted or there's too much space between it and the front trunnion or... ? :unsure: It's not real clear from your pics, at least not to me. If I were inspecting the Draco in person, I'm sure I'd get your meaning in short order.

I'm a perfectionist who's had to come to terms with the fact that a "perfect" Kalashnikov, (rifle or shotgun), does not exist. Even Legion Saigas, (the best AK rifles I've seen), have one or two tiny imperfections.. if you really look for em. :D It's just the nature of this design, which really is one of its greatest strengths. Also, let's be honest, even the Russians, (pretty much the definitive source of high-quality AK weapons), do things "good enough". Cosmetic perfection is not their goal.

All that said... *shrug* She looks pretty good from the pics.

Thanks PA.

The RSB is twisted (canted?) a little to the right. In these pics I attached to this post, you can see a little gap on the side of the RSB on the left of the weapon, and no gap on the right side.post-16466-12592583050447_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12592583187353_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12592583945545_thumb.jpg

Ultimak red dot but there are some pretty cheap ones sold with the mount (under $100.00) on gunbroker. Like the 550 cord sling idea, might have to give that whirl.

Would you mind PMing me a link if you know where I can find a dot and Ultimak for under $100? Thanks!

I'll try to get some pics of the sling up tomorrow.

vitamink, I would love to see some pics of your Draco! Did you pick yours up from the place that starts with a "C"?

not only did it begin with a "C" it ended in "lassic arms". here's a picture from my super crappy cell phone. post-18659-12593044931623.jpeg

I changed the grip, changed the forend, added the tromix charging handle and a bungee single point.

LOL!

That's the same place I ordered mine from. I take it you didn't have any issues with yours? I don't think I'll ever order anything from there again.

I like the MWI forend! I almost did the same thing with mine!

No issues with mine at all, in fact, i was impressed as to how nice it looked when it arrived. PostA told me to have them hand pick one as he ordered one where the rsb was off. When i called i told the sales guy that i had placed orders with other companies, then ended up sending them back because the block was off or the body was twisted or whatever, and that i was willing to pay extra if he would inspect mine and make sure this wasn't the case. He said he'd do it for free and either i got lucky, or he inspected it.

No issues with mine at all, in fact, i was impressed as to how nice it looked when it arrived. PostA told me to have them hand pick one as he ordered one where the rsb was off. When i called i told the sales guy that i had placed orders with other companies, then ended up sending them back because the block was off or the body was twisted or whatever, and that i was willing to pay extra if he would inspect mine and make sure this wasn't the case. He said he'd do it for free and either i got lucky, or he inspected it.

Damn bro, I'd say you were lucky. I called when I got my first one and saw how crooked it was, and then called again once I saw they had accepted delivery of it. Still, this one had a crooked sight. Even after I spent an extra $70 on shipping the first one back to them and FFL fee. And even after I told the TWICE that I wanted one that was all straight because the first one was so horribly off. That's like paying an additional 20%. Unacceptable IMO to receive something still not proper.

I'm still pretty happy with it crookedness aside. It's a great size and fills a need I had for a weapon with its OAL. If I get another to SBR, it would be ordered from another company. I would have been better off paying more for one that was straight right off the bat. I even offered to do the same as you for a hand picked one, and I was assured they would "take care of" me.

So.....

How do these Dracos stack up in the reliability dept? I figured the shorter barrel might not get enough gas back into the gas tube to reliably cycle the action.

Corbin

You're figuring from ignorance.

These aren't something that ol' Bubba Romany decided to throw together to sell to the capitalists. The Romanians have been making these for years before they decided to sell them to us. Their versions just happen to have butt stocks and VFGs (oh, and a fun switch, too).

romanian-police-checkpoint-aims-r.jpg

romanian-poliche-checkpoing-aims-r.2.jpg

Romanian-Revolution-091-760x485.jpg

Romanian-Revolution-103-760x482.jpg

Romanian-Revolution-100-760x476.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing up the fact that Romania has been using them for a long time. The U.S. has been using the M16 for how many years now? That still doesn't mean they're reliable.

So I'll ask anyone that has one..... Is yours reliable?

Thanks

Corbin

Thanks for clearing up the fact that Romania has been using them for a long time. The U.S. has been using the M16 for how many years now? That still doesn't mean they're reliable.

Thanks

Corbin

Well, if you want to look at it from that POV, any weapon can be made to malfunction. Provided you clean your M16 every day (at least once) like clockwork, it is very reliable. Don't clean it - well, thar be draguns.

The real question is: Would those Romanian policemen and soldiers be using them if they weren't reliable?

The point of the pictures was to show you that these are factory designed with this gas system, and not something that one of us American shade-tree 'gun smiths' cooked up out of a "Romy G" kit and have to constantly fiddle with the gas system to keep it running.

• Like 1

Thanks

Corbin

Yes, I have shot about 250 rounds through mine and the action is smoother than my Saiga. No problems what so ever with reliability. My buddy has one too and the first 60 rounds or so it wouldn't run right(FTF), but the problem seemed to go away after that. It was probably twisted a little or the rails the carrier slide on had some kind of imperfection. I'd trust my life to it, within 20 yards or so. Eventually I'll SBR it and be able to shoulder it and actually aim on stuff further than that.

Yes, I have shot about 250 rounds through mine and the action is smoother than my Saiga. No problems what so ever with reliability. My buddy has one too and the first 60 rounds or so it wouldn't run right(FTF), but the problem seemed to go away after that. It was probably twisted a little or the rails the carrier slide on had some kind of imperfection. I'd trust my life to it, within 20 yards or so. Eventually I'll SBR it and be able to shoulder it and actually aim on stuff further than that.

Cool. Thanks thehopping1 :super:

I'm no expert on AKs (even less on shorty models), but I wouldn't judge a new firearm's reliability on just a magazine or two. It's nice to hear positive reviews from owners. I know that my Saiga 12 had a few FTEs when I first got it, but after 100 rounds or so, it runs like a top. It's over 2K now.

Just a guess, but if the Draco uses any type of painted finish, perhaps the thickness of the paint on the rails or some other internal surface might have something to do with them needing a break in period. I suspect it might be more complicated than that, but it was just a thought.

Corbin

Corbin,

That's definitely possible. But I would suspect that it is probably more because my buddy's gun got pretty stuck a couple time, to where we had to pull off the dust cover and inspect the inside. We couldn't find any thing blocking it so he jammed it forward and kept shooting until it worked. I also read a similar story on a local forum a few months ago. That guy did basically the same thing, and his worked fine now.

be sure to stay long enough for it to get dark...the fireballs are hysterical.

Well, I got to the range tonight along with forum member kwesi. All I can say is that this thing is a HAND CANNON!!!! Wow. The fireballs that this thing spits out are amazing, LOL! When kwesi fired it, I was standing about six feet behind him, and I could feel the heat and concussion from the deafening blasts. This thing is some serious fun!!!

We fired about 30-40 rounds through it without a hitch. Most of them were fed through Bulgy circle 10's and a few from a chineese 5 rounder.

Accuracy isn't going to win any competition, and she shoots to the right quite a bit. I'm pretty confident I could hit center of bad guy at 50 yards. Even if I didn't hit him, he would most likely still be on fire :killer::lolol: :lolol:

The compensator that I have on it was a little pricey, but I couldn't believe how well it did reducing recoil. We fired a few shots each sitting, standing with the (overly complicated) single point sling, and a few standing without the sling. At 15-25 yards all of the shots were well within the silhouette.

As I stated earlier, I'm pretty disappointed that the sights are still off even after returning it, BUT I am very happy with this little shooter.

not only did it begin with a "C" it ended in "lassic arms". here's a picture from my super crappy cell phone. post-18659-12593044931623.jpeg

I changed the grip, changed the forend, added the tromix charging handle and a bungee single point.

LOL!

That's the same place I ordered mine from. I take it you didn't have any issues with yours? I don't think I'll ever order anything from there again.

I like the MWI forend! I almost did the same thing with mine!

I thought if this recent posting on the vendors website(the one you apparently purchased your Draco from)was in reference to you... well you should have a laugh also... CUZ it sure did tickle me just a bit, came across earlier today. I advise you go to above mentioned vendor site and read on.

I thought if this recent posting on the vendors website(the one you apparently purchased your Draco from)was in reference to you... well you should have a laugh also... CUZ it sure did tickle me just a bit, came across earlier today. I advise you go to above mentioned vendor site and read on.

:rolleyes::lolol::lolol::lolol: