Picked Up My "New" Draco

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You win in life.   kick-ass collection!

You're figuring from ignorance.   These aren't something that ol' Bubba Romany decided to throw together to sell to the capitalists. The Romanians have been making these for years before they decid

Well, if you want to look at it from that POV, any weapon can be made to malfunction. Provided you clean your M16 every day (at least once) like clockwork, it is very reliable. Don't clean it - well

Posted Images

Hey, thanks Moe. You were the inspiration for the PWS comp. Been piecing that collection together for a while now.

I didn't shoot any close-ups. I had to lay the olive stain on so thick that it looks like its painted. I stripped it down after the first coat with some steel wool and it looked even worse. That light wood is hard to darken. I kept adding more stain until I got the darkness I wanted. Pretty ugly really. I would probably wear off some with heavy use. Finished it with a few coats Danish oil because that's what I had laying around.

I'll probably end up with a MWI green rail. CSS is has a green hogue grip on order for me. Green = I guess its that long haired hippie in me. :shame:

You guys inspired me to give staining my HG's a shot. I wanted a "Russian Red" look. Sunny, you were very right about how hard it is to darken the wood. I put 4 coats of stain on and this was the darkest it came out. On top of that I put 4 coats of gloss polyurethane. I really like the way it came out, but now I'm afraid to shoot it! LOL!

k6uks.jpg

rx4pN.jpg

NhATO.jpg

7GeaS.jpg

These pics really don't do it justice. I need to take some in the daytime without a flash.

Looks great Moe.

I just got back from shooting the Draco over at my buddy's house. His wife shot it and now wants one. She's from the Philipines and I guess hadn't fired guns much before, but she did alright. He ended up giving me a wood pistol grip from a Yugo M90 AK that I might stain to match the HG and install on the Draco. We'll see.

Corbin

Nice Moe! :smoke: Looks really good.

Had mine out yesterday with the FSC47 on. Man, that thing is extra loud now. Tames the muzzle down but the concussion is much more noticeable. Ran 150rds through in w/o a hangup (Wolf HP). The only issue I'm having is that it shoots 3" left at 25yrds. My windage drum is stuck in place. I turned the sight tool so hard that I bent the U part of the tool out to the point of making it useless. Need to buy another one now.

Thanks guys!

I got a better pic today at the range.

post-16466-12673977113795_thumb.jpg

I ended up running a drum plus a bulgy waffle and 40 rounder through 'er. Ran like a champ!

does anyone know if a tapco fusion handguard system will fit on a draco? if it does then it will be easy to add a red dot sight to a draco

Thanks guys!

I got a better pic today at the range.

post-16466-12673977113795_thumb.jpg

I ended up running a drum plus a bulgy waffle and 40 rounder through 'er. Ran like a champ!

does anyone know if a tapco fusion handguard system will fit on a draco? if it does then it will be easy to add a red dot sight to a draco

Any standard AKM/AK74 hand guard will work.

stole the forearm from my saiga project. gonna run weaver farther forward, pop on a little light/laser do-hickey and remove rear sight and do a mini dot and a backup peep in place. for the price you cant beat em. the vz stock really doesnt interfere with the saftey.

Edited by funshootin1

Pretty sweet SBR setup.

Did you replace the rear trunnion? If so, it looks like the rivet holes lined up for you. Is that common? I figured I'd have to weld the old holes over and make new ones if I went with a new trunnion.

Corbin

funshootin1,

That's pretty cool! Should look nice once it's finished and painted.

On the Vz stock, did you do any mill work to the rear trunion? If so, got pix? Also, did you use the metric bolt to mount it? Is that a jaymce handguard? How does it mount on?

vz stock mounts with one big honkin screw and requires a notch cut in the reciever (small little notch to index it) I welded mine to a fabbed up l bracket I made that doesnt force me to use the big screw that came with. forearm is from my saiga, got it from css. the mount for the fore arm is 3\8 x3\8 square stock welded to the bottom of the sight block extending back and tapped for machine screws. gonna do a longer peice o weaver that extends beyond the handguard to the front of the sight block and prolly some small ones up front on the sides. the muzzle break is nothing more than a tapco rpd style ak break, cut short and went to town with the ole dremel to give it some teeth. thanks guys, pm for details or pics.

Edited by funshootin1
  • 2 weeks later...

For any of you that have a flash hider or break on your Draco, do you notice any difference in flash or muzzle rise/recoil? I'm debating about having a muzzle device on mine.

By the way......

Got the M1-B Ultimak a few days ago, along with an AMD forend. I had the M7, but it was too short. Dan at Ultimak let me exchange it no problem. Great guy. Cut the M1 back a bit and dremeled out the end to fit over the front sight base. Nice and snug now. It's not moving.

end.jpg

UltimakM1.jpg

Going to put an Aimpoint T1 on it, I think.

Corbin

• 2 weeks later...

i know i'm real late chiming in but....

as long as the rsb goes between the ears on the front trunion it is g2g......

thats why its made like that....press a few parts kits apart and back and you will see

Never too late for good advice!

Thanks for the input. I think I was a little nervous that one ear stuck out further than the other, lol.

• 1 month later...

I picked up the m1b for my draco, just a helpful tip for all, I cut the tube with a hacksaw then used a unibit to ream out the inside until it fit. Finally i took a file and cleaned up the rough edges.. Took about 10 minutes to do. Thanks corbin.