Picked Up My "New" Draco

ok...its all clear to me now. apparently CSS is selling these ergo grips attached to that adapter.. Or at least thats what it looks like in the link Moe posted. Thats sort of clever I guess, having them attached so they just bolt rite up to the gun. I still havent been able to get my pistol grip set up yet, using the tango down grip and adapter. It wont fit rite for some reason, and when I do get it to fit, it looks and feels just plain funky. Gonna f_ck with it some more. Thanks for the info.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You win in life.   kick-ass collection!

You're figuring from ignorance.   These aren't something that ol' Bubba Romany decided to throw together to sell to the capitalists. The Romanians have been making these for years before they decid

Well, if you want to look at it from that POV, any weapon can be made to malfunction. Provided you clean your M16 every day (at least once) like clockwork, it is very reliable. Don't clean it - well

Posted Images

Hmm...

I'm pretty sure what Nailoth was saying, is that my grip was manufactured with the adapter, and that there was a previos version of the grip made specifically for the AK, which is the one in his picture.

I took a bunch of pics of mine. Hopefully this will help clear things up and not confuse them more, LOL!

post-16466-12626486260735_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12626486368129_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12626486693444_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12626487111044_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of how I have the loop for the sling attachment point:

post-16466-12626487395378_thumb.jpg

post-16466-12626487478626_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Draco pistol question, I know you can't put a front vertical grip on without a AOW stamp. So, I was wondering, can you use a folding bi-pod? We used Harris bi-pods for years on our Contenders and XP100 Rem handguns. It really made a big difference to how well you could shoot. I know a bi-pod on a Draco with a 30 round mag would not work, but a 10 or 20 round could work.

Any of our SBR experts know the answer? I'm hot for one of these Draco's.

Thanks,

Frosty

I have a Draco pistol question, I know you can't put a front vertical grip on without a AOW stamp. So, I was wondering, can you use a folding bi-pod? We used Harris bi-pods for years on our Contenders and XP100 Rem handguns. It really made a big difference to how well you could shoot. I know a bi-pod on a Draco with a 30 round mag would not work, but a 10 or 20 round could work.

Any of our SBR experts know the answer? I'm hot for one of these Draco's.

Thanks,

Frosty

So long as it's not a "tacti-coooool grip-pod", it should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

I'm going to get one of these finally. I'm just trying to decide if I should try for a retail outlet that has one I can inspect (for tilted sights, etc), or play a bit less and risk the sights being too weird. A local shop has one for $420, I think it was. Everything looked fine upon inspection. Granted, I'll have to pay about $25.00 in tax, but I save that much in shipping. Plus the $420 includes the FFL fee.

Definitely wanting to SBR it, once MI allows that. AOW is ok, but if I'm going to spend the $200 to create an AOW, I'd rather spend it to make a SBR where it doesn't matter if I add a vert grip or not. Note, the $5.00 AOW fee only applies to an existing AOW transfer, not to creating an AOW. That's still $200.

Corbin

I recently got a Draco from Centerfire Systems. (Currently accepting backorders.) Mine was backordered about a month. I'm pleased with mine. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the top cover was fitted very tightly and curved inward slightly on the right side, which scratched the exposed bolt carrier when it was pulled/operated to the rear. Some careful filing and a small sanding drum on a Dremel tool fixed it perfectly.

Per Moe Zambeak's example, I also just used some paracord to make a small loop for a single point sling. I looped it with two twisted strands, made about four knots (alternating strand ends), and shoved the knots down into the hollow grip. I also relieved just enough of the grip material at the rear to allow the grip to sit flush with the receiver yet still have some compression on the extended cord loop. Works great.

OK, I'm just slow I guess. :blink:

Does the paracord come out a hole in the back plate or out of the pistol grip?

I just picked up my Draco and it looks pretty good. I had the advantage of being able to handle it before deciding, so I checked it out for straight sights, etc. Everything looks good, but I noticed the front sight is adjusted way over to one side. Hopefully they don't need to be that far over.

Now I just have to swap out the furnature. Gotta see if the top handguard is secured weird, or if it'll just spin out.

Corbin

*EDIT* Nevermind. I found the answer in THIS thread.

Edited by Corbin

OK, I'm just slow I guess. :blink:

Does the paracord come out a hole in the back plate or out of the pistol grip?

I just picked up my Draco and it looks pretty good. I had the advantage of being able to handle it before deciding, so I checked it out for straight sights, etc. Everything looks good, but I noticed the front sight is adjusted way over to one side. Hopefully they don't need to be that far over.

Now I just have to swap out the furnature. Gotta see if the top handguard is secured weird. ooks like I'll have to drill out the peened over pin for the lower handguard.

Corbin

I could be wrong but I think they are just talking about mashing the paracord between the pistol grip and receiver or maybe making a slight groove in top top of the PG to allow the PG to seat firmly against the receiver. I don't think that solution is for me because I think it will cause the gun to hang slightly canted with the muzzle not straight down. I think I'm going to mount something to the backplate.

Corbin, Dogman is correct, in that I just mashed the 550 cord between the PG and the receiver.

The hand guards came right off, just like a normal AK for me. The lever on my lower hand guard retainer is actually a little sloppy compared to my Chinese AK's.

I'd like to see some pics once ya get it all done up!:up:

Will do.

I'm not sure what handguard I'll put on it yet. In the meantime, I'm going to sand down and stain the wood a dark red/orange I think. They're already off the Draco. I just need to "git r done".

Not being terribly experienced with staining/finishing, I'm wondering if I should lightly steel wool between coats. Or was that for painting? lol

Corbin

I don't think you need to use steel wool. The stain should soak into the wood and doesn't need a ruffed up surface to adhere. Of course this is coming from my jr. high shop class days so take it for what it's worth.

I found this, that says that steel wool is used for vinegar staining, and is only used to darken the shade of the vinegar and not on the surface of the wood.

Depends on your finishing technique I strip my wood then hit it with some fine grit sandpaper and a quick hit of wool. After staining I'll give it a light touch of wool. After my first few coats of tung oil I'll hit it one more time with the wool then just appply a few more coats of tung and then buff with a fine cloth.

I really want one of these little pistols, I am going to do my taxes this week and see if I am good to go to spend some money I have saved up. I almost wish everyone wasnt loving them so much and writing up these reviews of how much fun they are lol

:eek:

I never got to fire mine inn low light like that! That was an AWESOME vid! Thanks for sharing!

Did you have any type of muzzle device on the Draco at all?

I had a slant break on it, but it didn't do much. I tried the AK74 style break and it works awesome. The slant or no break at all will produce fun sized fireballs. :super:

Hey Moe.

I hope you don't mind, but I figured it was better to post a pic of my Draco here than to start a new thread showing mine.

Haven't changed too much on it yet. Just the grip and refinished the handguards so far. Thinking about night sights, an Ultimak w/ a micro red dot, perhaps some type of muzzle device and a rear sling mount. Might add a Tromix oversized charging handle and extend the mag release as well. Note, I forgot to put the cleaning rod back in for the pics. D'oh!

Draco.jpg

Handguard-1.jpg

I don't care for the large gap between the upper and lower handguards. Plus one side on the upper HG had a crack in the center tab that separates the two slots on the side. So I just removed them and made one long slot instead.

Now to get a decent drum or two. :super:

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

Corbin, Those hand guards came out great! :up:

I'm still considering putting an Ultimak and micro on mine too, but right now with firearm prices coming back down to reasonable levels, I'm getting while the getting is good!

Thanks for posting the pics, and especially the finish that you used to refinish with!

Nice work there Corbin! :super:

I was gonna work on the motor bike, but you've motivated me to finish the forearm instead. I having a hard time deciding between green or grey stain...for something different. Also have a real dark red/burgundy and a blue stain. I'm not too excited about blue. The red would look real classy but I'm thinking green with green hogue grip. Like Moe, this is a temporary deal until I find a rail system that I like and can afford.

I'm still considering putting an Ultimak and micro on mine too

I just ordered an Ultimak for the AMD 65, which has a shorter gas tube, like the Draco. They're 5.75" OAL. I think the Ultimak model is the M7-B. Of course, you can get a longer model and shorten it too.

Corbin