.308 Saiga for FAL

Hello,

I have a 223 Saiga conversion that is exceptional in reliability and accuracy. The AK platform is proven and rugged That's why I've been considering a .308 Saiga, It sounds like from the posts that the majority of folks here consider them fairly accurate and even more so with the right handload. I'm considering trading or selling an Fal I have to acquire one (converted of course). Do yous guys feel that it might be a good move? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :blues:

No real experience with fal's so I was hesitant to reply, but it's been a while and no one has soo..

Basically this thread already was posted once.. and if I remember it was overwhelming support of the fal.. I own a saiga .308 and I love it.. But people more experienced than me seemed to be of the opinion of keep the fal.. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along, just reiterating what I remember.

Ya, your gonna hear that the 308 Saiga cant hit the broad side of a barn, and if you search, you can see proof of sub 1/2 MOA S-308's. What it comes down to, is which would you rather have, and just as important, which would you rather shoot. For me it was the Saiga, because of price, (my S-308 was $280 when I bought it 9 yrs ago) weight, (FAL's like M1A's are heavy) and its an AK (reliability).

Why trade one gun for another. I would keep the FAL as it is already bought and paid in full. I would then start saving my nickels, dimes and quarters for a short period of time and buy the S-308. Then you could convert it at your leisure and own both of them. But then again, that is just what I would do.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

I have owned FALs of various sorts and they have always been Battle Rifle Accurate (minute of bad guy), reliable and rugged. Mags are cheap(er) than Surefires and the gun is actually battle proven. The trigger leaves something to be desired (for me) but with a little spring replacement, you can improve the feel.

You can tweek the gun nowadays with all the parts avaialble such as rails,etc., if you're into that sorta thing.

Overall, I would say keep the FAL and save to purchase the SAIGA. That way you have both (as stated above).

Spoon

FALs are like AK, depends on who made them. I just wouldnt accept any FAL at present except DSA just as I would not accept any AK other than Saiga or 308 bolt action other than Savage.

We all have our favorites though all you can do is have them make sense.

Anyone can or rather should produce a great $2k rifle, but making a quality rifle for $500 is the mark of excellence. So many guys I know have bought AR-10s and M1As only to be sorely disappointed when all they really needed to do was get a Saiga or a Garand from CMP for a third of the price.

The simple fact is there is no assurance that spending more gets you more, so I will stick with the Saiga and Savage. They shoot better than I do any way. :rolleyes:

Mav and Rhodes,

Funny that you should bring up the Savage LE series. This one followed me home a few weeks ago and definately shoots sub minute of angle out to 400 yards (farthest possible at our range). It does not matter if it is a $1000 gun or a $5000 gun. Sub minute is sub minute and the members of our team could care less who manufactured the gun. :super:

Sorry for the hijack...Again, I would keep the FAL and save up for the Saiga, but that is just me. Bottom line, just do what will make you the happiest for now and in the future.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

Savage holds most of the factory rifle long range records, and the Savage shooting team wins the majority of competitions with factory Rifles.

Edit: Sorry for the thread hijack.

Edited by mav

The AI is not only an accurate gun but it is built like a tank and has features that set it apart from many other rifles out there. Does it justify the extra money? That likely depends on what one's budget is and how one intends to use it. If sitting at a bench is your game probably not. Savage makes good guns for the money no doubt about it. They likely meet the needs of most users but they are not the equivalent of AI rifles for hard use IMHO based on what I have seen. I wouldn't feel bad about owning a savage and they are in fact what I recommend to most people since most people are budget minded and cannot shoot as well as a number of rifles can preform.

Thats a good point, normally people get into Saigas looking for a quality AK at a very good price.

Savage follows the same concept though I wouldn't subject it to near the punishment I give my S308 or x39 without even thinking about it.

The FAL is just so proven if I already had one no way I would give it up. Pistons all the way.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I would take the ak .308 platform anyday over the FAL. The ak is THE most proven platform there is. Its cheap and easy to use just like it was meant to be, and just as reliable. The small bit of accuracy you loose is well worth the trade and the average shooter probably will never even notice. Not to mention parts are far easier to get for the ak then the FAL.

Edited by SomethingEZ

I would take the ak .308 platform anyday over the FAL. The ak is THE most proven platform there is. Its cheap and easy to use just like it was meant to be, and just as reliable. The small bit of accuracy you loose is well worth the trade and the average shooter probably will never even notice. Not to mention parts are far easier to get for the ak then the FAL.

I'd agree if we were talking AKM vs FAL, but we're talking Saiga .308 vs FAL. So I'd go for FAL considering it's proven in warfare for decades and the Saiga .308 has probably never been used for... anything.

SomethingEZ

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

Not to mention parts are far easier to get for the ak then the FAL.

There's plenty of folks who would argue with you on which weapon system has more parts in the U.S. Just one example: try and find a bolt for your S308 if one of those lugs crack....

That said, if it was a Century or Hesse FAL, I'd probably trade it off. They are hit and miss on quality compared to other FAL parts guns and not in the same league as a DSA, FN, Imbel, or Argentine factory gun. Depending on when you bought it, you'd probably stand to make a little money on it if you sold it.

Should we recommend some nice cleaning kits?

If it was a 60's era AR than yes. Thanks, I appreciate your concern. It will be nice switch that I won't have to be concerned after reading about DSA's quality control and customer service issues again on the falfiles. Maybe once in a while for old time's sake, I'll go on.

The FAL is indeed a rugged proven battle rifle. I liked mine, it was a great project. A couple of great gunsmiths helped me to get it running right. It never achieved the accuracy I was hoping to get out of it. For battle rifle accuracy, it was exceptional!

I have a S-223 that I converted and it's been great! It runs flawlessly, shoulders up and points well, digests any ammo, got moa accuracy w/ my reloads and very acceptable wlth the cheaper stuff (Brown Bear)@ 100yds. It runs and runs and runs....

The DPMS rifle will be another project. They (just like the AR platform), have come a long way. And like any rifle, a proper break in, smoothing out the rough spots, and proper maintenance will provide many years of service. Salute :beer:

Edited by concretus

And about half a dozen makes of brass ammo to start. Ah well takes all kinds cant apply MBR standards to all rifles, best of luck with the Stoner.

Why is that? Because it doesn't shoot steel cased ammo? This design started with the AR 10 over 50 years ago. Those rifles have started showing up overseas. So it's not acceptable to have a MBR that shoots that can shoot MOA? Please enlighten me.

And about half a dozen makes of brass ammo to start. Ah well takes all kinds cant apply MBR standards to all rifles, best of luck with the Stoner.

Why is that? Because it doesn't shoot steel cased ammo? This design started with the AR 10 over 50 years ago. Those rifles have started showing up overseas. So it's not acceptable to have a MBR that shoots that can shoot MOA? Please enlighten me.

The problem occurred right here. You should get that checked.

Enjoy your new rifle, sir.

Edited by Twinsen