Chaos Steel 8rd box mag!

The eight round steel box mag will be great, however what happened to the 10 round drum is it still in the works?

Would like to know the answer to that too before I get my hopes up on these mags....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=37506&hl=drum&st=30

Check post #36

Regards,

Missed that post. Thanks for pointing it out...:)

The eight round steel box mag will be great, however what happened to the 10 round drum is it still in the works?

Would like to know the answer to that too before I get my hopes up on these mags....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=37506&hl=drum&st=30

Check post #36

Regards,

• 1 month later...

will the magwell be designed for quick removal for use of drums?? will reciever need to be modded in any way (will it still accept rock and locks with well removed???) I know this is probably not feasable from cost standpoint, but an A>R>M>S> style lever detatch magwell would be the f'ing shit.im anxiously awaiting porky pine and quad rail... should be in my mailbox in a few weeks!!! i cant wait!! keep up the good work man

WE WANT STEEL, WE WANT STEEL!!! Would your proposed 10 round drum fit this magwell like the 8 round steel mags that are being designed for it? I just want something that will not fail in the extreme cold we get on occasion (like the -18 degrees it was this morning). :eek:

Edited by 7.62m43
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of steel mags, but have a question.

In the world of the AR, polymer P-Mags (and the like) are far preferred over the steel box mags. They say that the P-Mags are more reliable and durable (I have both for my AR, and at this point really don't notice any difference between them, but I'm new to all this).

For the S-12, all we have are factory and aftermarket polymer mags. Why would steel mags be preferable?

Steel front locking tabs dont break off in cold weather. Neither do polymer mags with steel reinforced tabs, but, as I understand it, only the Russian mags feature that important little bit, and theyre kind of hard to get a hold of. Otherwise, I agree with you. Polymer mags can be made with even greater structural integrity than steel, and theyre much lighter, but until an american company makes readily available steel reinforced polymer mags, ill keep some chaos steels around for winter use.

I love the idea of steel mags, but have a question.

In the world of the AR, polymer P-Mags (and the like) are far preferred over the steel box mags. They say that the P-Mags are more reliable and durable (I have both for my AR, and at this point really don't notice any difference between them, but I'm new to all this).

For the S-12, all we have are factory and aftermarket polymer mags. Why would steel mags be preferable?

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. A well made magazine, whether made of steel or polymer, will have all the durability required. The general shift of some manufacturers to polymer mags is mainly due to minor advantages in weight, ease of maintenance, and long term production costs, not durability. Polymer is lighter than steel and of course polymer can't rust, and while the cost to set up a polymer part fabrication line is usually a bit more than setting up a steel part fabrication line, once set up a polymer part fabrication line can usually produce a part at a lower per unit cost than a steel part fabrication line (that's why a new Glock 17 is always cheaper than a new Beretta 92 or Sig-Sauer 226).

Of course it depends on the manufacturer as well. If a manfuacturer is already experienced in polymer manufacturing and tooled up to make polymer parts, then of course it would be cheaper for them to make any new products in polymer as well. Whereas if a manufacturer is instead experienced in and tooled up to make steel parts (like Chaos is), then it would be cheaper for them to make any new products out of steel rather than polymer.

Edited by Frogfoot