Talk about buzz kills. I was all psyched to pick up my new Saiga 7.62x39 today from my local FFL dealer after ordering it on the Net and when I walked into the (fairly crowded) shop and told the owner I was there to pick it up he said "Yeah - we're sending it back!" The guy was P*SSED! He told me "They could tale my license away because that thing is on my store!"

Apparently the state of CT has a ban on "AK-like weapons". The law mentions a number of specific weapons but the Saiga is NOT included in the list. I did not know this. Go figure that this dealer has a pile of Saiga .223's on the floor in his place but they are perfectly legal.

So back to square one. I did all this research on the 39mms and I know that the ammo is nice and cheap! Can someone tell me if there are many other differences between the .223's (which I am thinking about buying now) and the 7.62x39mm's? I had ordered a bunch of parts, new stock etc. What a drag. I think I'll go have a drink. Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited by Flash

Flash, that FFL is either ignorant or a liar, (probably a bit of both). He sounds like an asshole as well. Sporter Saiga 7.62x39's are legal in CT.

Find a scrupulous, knowledgeable one to deal with.

I stand corrected. Those in CT have even fewer freedoms than I thought.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

If that gun is legal in CT (which it should be but I dont know CT law), then dont let him charge you to ship it back tell him if he wont ship it back on his dime then you'll be contacting a lawyer and the better business bureau. Also if you have a lawyer in the family or know one that will do you a favor have them write him a letter citing the law. That might be enough to enlighten him. Don't forget to remind him that we are all in this together.

Sounds to me like he's saying that just because its chambered in x39 makes it illegal. Bet he sells x39 ammo.

yall can have vz58 cant you.

That's not the point here.

Factory Saiga rifles are legal in Connecticut.

Not entirely. 7.62x39 rifles utilizing the AK action are illegal in CT, they're legal in any other chambering. SKS rifles and VZ-58s are legal, as they aren't AK-based rifles.

Try contacting the seller (if a dealer) and see if they can send you a 223 version of it for even swap. Explain the retared law to them also and go for pity-pitch. Pay the shipping back if so and call it even I guess.

The retarded law doesn't prohibit factory Saigas.

If the law does prohibit "AK action" rifles in 7.62x39, it's a very wide law and can affect many firearms.

I'd (re)suggest finding another dealer.

• Like 1

+1 Nalioth. Kalashnikov actions are not unique just to Saiga. Robinon Arms www.robarm.com sell a rifle that comes in .223, 6.8 SPCII and, yes, 7.62 x 39 and are based on the Kalashnikov action. Perhaps he has one of them in his store? I cannot believe that the law prohibits selling a Kalashnikov action rifle just because it is chambered in 7.62 x 39 Soviet.

I cannot believe that the law prohibits selling a Kalashnikov action rifle just because it is chambered in 7.62 x 39 Soviet.

ridiculous or not.. i DO believe that is EXACTLY what the law there says.. i remember talking about this along time ago when i first joined.. those of you that live in fairly free states can simply not relate to those of us who live in hostile anti-gun land.. stupid laws that make no sense are VERY common here (nj)...

IIRC, what they determine an "AK-type rifle" to be is that it must be in 7.62x39, have a stamped sheet-metal receiver or milled receiver and capable of accepting most parts off of an AK-47 / AKM / AK-100 series rifle.

So... the Saiga does not accept:

An AK magazine

An AK threaded muzzle brake

An AK pistol grip

An AK bolt

An AK bolt carrier

An AK FCG

So what the hell do they consider to be "most" parts.

IIRC, what they determine an "AK-type rifle" to be is that it must be in 7.62x39, have a stamped sheet-metal receiver or milled receiver and capable of accepting most parts off of an AK-47 / AKM / AK-100 series rifle.

An AK magazine

An AK pistol grip

An AK bolt

An AK bolt carrier

An AK FCG

Actually, yes, they do accept those parts, some via conversion, some are drop-in.

An AK magazine

An AK pistol grip

An AK bolt

An AK bolt carrier

An AK FCG

Actually, yes, they do accept those parts, some via conversion, some are drop-in.

The law doesn't say sh** about "converted" - it is referring to a factory condition Saiga.

Please don't heap more limitations on yourself that way.

An AK magazine

An AK pistol grip

An AK bolt

An AK bolt carrier

An AK FCG

Actually, no, not one of those parts are "drop in". But thanks for playing!

An AK magazine

An AK pistol grip

An AK bolt

An AK bolt carrier

An AK FCG

The law doesn't say sh** about "converted" - it is referring to a factory condition Saiga.

I wasn't "heaping" anything. I'm saying that a factory 7.62x39 Saiga is still considered an "AK-type rifle" in CT, because of the receiver and basically the bolt-carrier / bolt and barrel being the same as an AK.

An AK magazine

An AK pistol grip

An AK bolt

An AK bolt carrier

An AK FCG

I wasn't "heaping" anything. I'm saying that a factory 7.62x39 Saiga is still considered an "AK-type rifle" in CT, because of the receiver and basically the bolt-carrier / bolt and barrel being the same as an AK.

Big Boss is right. CT has a list of banned by name firearms.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/assault_weapons.pdf

On that list is "Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type".

The interpretation of that law is that any firearm with the AK action that shoots 7.62x39mm is banned. That is because of the addition of the word "type," which explains why we can have AR-15's but not Colt AR-15's, because the list specifies "Colt AR-15" and does not say "AR-15 type." Unfortunately the AK listing is the only one which says "type," otherwise we just couldn't have any gun that had "AK-47" stamped on the receiver. The saiga does count as an "AK-47 type" because it uses the AK action and fires 7.62x39mm.

I know what everyone is going to say, that list and the interpretation doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to because its the law. CT has a very different set of laws when compared to any other state. We can have military rifles, just not some types of military rifles.

TS, I know which dealer you're talking about, they're pretty knowledgeable about the laws, but sometimes they do get things wrong. Like when they tried to tell my friend that a PSL is illegal, when in fact they aren't.

Edited by rk5n