well the .223 vs 7.62x39 question is answered, for me at least

so I got a bonus recently and was wanting to get a compact semi-auto carbine without a pistol grip to keep the profile nice and trim. Basically In NE Oregon where I like to play we have plenty of cougars and black bears along with budding entrepreneurs of the recreational pharmaceutical variety. I was leaning towards a saiga in 7.62x39 but was also thinking about a .223. well I went out to find a saiga and at a super great gunshop across the stateline they had a .223 saiga for $450. eh I was hoping to find one for less but after some research realized I just ain't gonna do much better than that in my area. well a few spots down was a .308 16" saiga for only $470. My only hangup was it's heavier than I was looking for and .308 is more expensive and I didn't have any .308's yet(both a plus AND minus as I've wanted to get something in the caliber) well I mulled it over for a bit since the clerk was busy with several other customers and decided to buy it since I knew a .308 was really the best choice for my neck of the woods (pissed off momma or big bull blackie would probably not notice the smaller rounds) bought a few boxes of brown bear ammo and though it shot high it seemed very consistent(didn't actually have targets. just shot at random stuff at the range) after I got it home I took the 3 point sling off my AR and put it on this and fits and works pretty good.

now for some bigger mags...

post-4449-12596501380821_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

so I got a bonus recently and was wanting to get a compact semi-auto carbine without a pistol grip to keep the profile nice and trim.

This implies you are not going to do anything to become compliant.

And that's why you need to be.

Excuse the hell outta me, from the way you worded it, it didn't seem you were aware of 922r, and was trying to let you know, lest you land your ass in jail. Enjoy your rifle, its a good one.

Edited by mav

so I got a bonus recently and was wanting to get a compact semi-auto carbine without a pistol grip to keep the profile nice and trim.

Or it could mean that he will just drop in a US Made factory configured FCG, which counts as 2 parts, and when combined with US made magazines (which are the ONLY larger capacity magazines I'm personally ware that are available here) he would be within compliance.

Edited by Lysander

Or it could mean that he will just drop in a US Made factory configured FCG, which counts as 2 parts, and when combined with US made magazines (which are the ONLY larger capacity magazines I'm personally ware that are available here) he would be within compliance.

US made factory configuration FCG for 308? Where, Dinzag doesn't have it, the 308 Factory FCG isn't the same as the rest of them.

US made factory configuration FCG for 308? Where, Dinzag doesn't have it, the 308 Factory FCG isn't the same as the rest of them.

tru dat!

ain't 922r a bitch!

If you want to get higher cap mags and stay in factory configuration for 308, you just have to swap out the handguard and gas piston for the US-made ones and travel ONLY with US-made mags - if you have factory mags on you, you'd be out of compliance.

tru dat!

ain't 922r a bitch!

If you want to get higher cap mags and stay in factory configuration for 308, you just have to swap out the handguard and gas piston for the US-made ones and travel ONLY with US-made mags - if you have factory mags on you, you'd be out of compliance.

NO NO NO!

10 or less parts... a stock .308 has 14 parts, -3 for the US mag, -1 for the handguard puts you at 10. You might even be able to drop in a re-contoured TAPCO hammer to keep a completely stock look.

Just swap out the handguard, and you are good to go with factory or US made "large capacity" magazines. 922® doesn't even apply on an otherwise stock configured rifle with a mag capacity of 10 or less.

tru dat!

ain't 922r a bitch!

NO NO NO!

10 or less parts... a stock .308 has 14 parts, -3 for the US mag, -1 for the handguard puts you at 10. You might even be able to drop in a re-contoured TAPCO hammer to keep a completely stock look.

Just swap out the handguard, and you are good to go with factory or US made "large capacity" magazines. 922® doesn't even apply on an otherwise stock configured rifle with a mag capacity of 10 or less.

So a Tapco intrafuse or SGM forearm and US mags gets you compliant. But, I have surefire 20's and 25's for my 308, and the profile with them big SOB's is far from slim :rolleyes:

tru dat!

ain't 922r a bitch!

NO NO NO!

sorry guys - always erring on the overachieving side :devil:

I'm going to add a US hand guard and will then be compliant. I was going to modify the factory mag to 10 rounds, maybe grab a couple more and then get a couple of 15's and see how I like 'em.

and how does saying I didn't want a pistol grip imply anything other than I don't want a PG?

Edited by bigghoss