New Owner Questions: Recoil pads and Chaos Quad Rail iron sights

Hello folks, I have a Saiga-12 that Had cycling issues and is now on it's way in for warranty repair. While it's in for repair I want to have it converted, and I have some questions about accessories that will be a result of that conversion.

I greatly prefer an adjustable LOP, and the option that I chose as part of the conversion was the Tapco collapsible stock. I want a competent recoil pad, and want to know what pad could be recommended that will work properly on the Tapco collapsible stock.

As I plan to use this gun in 3 gun competitions I need it have a functional set of iron sights. Since the Chaos Extended Quad Rail that I purchased requires that I remove the existing iron sights I need a viable alternative. I assume that AR sights will not work because of the small apeture size and distance from my eye. I have at home a front Krebs barrel mounted ring sight, but I assume that if I use a rear sight such as These ghost ring sights then they will not correctly line up vertically with the Krebs front sight.

I'm really looking for a good option here. There has to be something. Perhaps a decent set of rail mounted sights of which I am unaware? I have already asked Cadiz to remove the existing sights so I can install the Chaos Extended Quad Rail when I get it home.

As a footnote, is there a preferred muzzle break? I have found several and they all look similar, and spiky. Not that spike is bad, but is there a winner in performance?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Bitbasher

I use Troys BUIS on mine. Now they are generally about $250 for the pair, but like anything else, youre going to get what you pay for. google em, they feature two rear apertures, the default one is basically a ghost ring which, although intended for use on carbines in close quarters, i find works brilliantly for skeet. Plus they will never EVER break. If you arent willing to spend a ridiculous amount on sights, Magpul's MBUS are decent, especially for the price. They too have a large rear aperture like ghost rings, just dont drop the gun on them... They are plastic.

Magpul's MBUS are decent, especially for the price. They too have a large rear aperture like ghost rings, just dont drop the gun on them... They are plastic.

Your kidding me? I didn't know they were plastic.

That definitly disapoints me to hear.

Yup. I recently had the pleasure of handling a friends Masada, on which were some MBUS. My understanding is they feature some metal components, but I can say for certain that both the base and aperture casing are polymer, I think the rear apertures are also polymer. It seemed sturdy enough, and I did like the spring-loaded operation, but I wouldnt drop test it..

at OP, GG&G also makes some decent BUIS which have large rear apertures. I like their A2 sights and Multiple Aperture Device, though the latter would certainly eliminate a lot more of your sight picture. I think theyre both like $100, notably cheaper than the Troys.

Yup. I recently had the pleasure of handling a friends Masada, on which were some MBUS. My understanding is they feature some metal components, but I can say for certain that both the base and aperture casing are polymer, I think the rear apertures are also polymer. It seemed sturdy enough, and I did like the spring-loaded operation, but I wouldnt drop test it..

at OP, GG&G also makes some decent BUIS which have large rear apertures. I like their A2 sights and Multiple Aperture Device, though the latter would certainly eliminate a lot more of your sight picture. I think theyre both like $100, notably cheaper than the Troys.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'll take a good look at that GG&G, it does seem to have a larger opening, which would seem to make it better. I have a Troy rear sight on my AR which I really do like, and troy is built solid. GG&G can be found for 80 for the rear sight, making it a good sight cheaper than Troy. I'll have to look for someone near me that has the GG&G so I can compare it and see which way to go.

Also, you shouldn't find it too dissapointing that Magpul's BUIS is plastic, I mean Magpul's *everything* is plastic as a general rule. It's also a third of the cost.

Anyone want to chime in with their option for a muzzle break and a recoil pad? At this point it seems like I'm going to go with a Shark Break and see if I can cut a Limbsaver to fit, assuming that will work.

Edited by Bitbasher

I say ditch the Chaos extended quad rail for the tri-rail and use the krebs ghost ring rear and the krebs barrel mounted front sight. If your wanting to run an optic, buy a picitany side mount and you can install whatever optic you like.

In my opinion, the factory sights are quite functional. Im able to easily shoot skeet with them and they provide me with acceptable groups with slugs (usually 2.5-3" at 50 yards). Im thinking of keeping the rear sight but adding one of the barrel mounted front sights that the estore sells so that I have elevation and windage adjustments along with the longer sight radius.

As for the brake, I cannot comment. I bought a remchoke adapter off of gunbroker that is made to look like the factory muzzle brake. HERES A PIC It does not have the slots, but it does have the two rows of angle ports. Right now im running an improved cylinder choke in it. Im able to doubletap easily with little muzzle rise. Heck, even with the threaded barrel protector, I did not notice much of any muzzle climb. I did notice however a little loss in gas pressures affecting what setting I use to shoot bulk ammo. With the threaded protector, I could shoot Federal value packs on 2 all day, every day. Once I installed the Adaptor, I noticed that it will still run the Federal on 2, but prefers 3 for the ultimate in reliability. Im guessing it is due to loosing some of the backpressure before the shot leaves the barrel. Also, Cobra76II makes a winchoke adapter that comes highly recommended from this forum.

ETA: Well after I posted this, I checked the estore and noticed that the GEN III elevated front sights are in stock so I went ahead and purchased one along with the replacement rear sight. Im hoping I like this combo as much as the original. I wonder if an XS AK Tritium front sight will work in it. If anybody has done this or know someone who has, please let me know. I would also like feedback on it.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

Cadiz Gun Works' full auto Saiga 12 I fired last month

had a Chaos rail on it, but it wasn't the extended model. I remember seeing it later that day with sights on it, but I don't know what type they were.

another video of the same shotgun with sights on it. It looks like the rear sight is either attached directly to the cover or maybe to a side mount rail. Not sure.

I've never messed with the Tapco collapsable stock, so I can't really comment of that. I'm not sure if your Krebs front would be tall enough to use with a rail mounted rear sight or not. I kinda doubt it. You'd likely be hitting really high with that setup.

Corbin

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Troy_Industries_Introductory_Offers_.html

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, do these look like they would be a viable option to install on the extended top rail?

Yep, thats one of a few variants on the base Troy BUIS. The only thing they alter between the different versions are the design of the posts protecting the front sight post, and one version features a tritium front sight insert. Thats a good deal for Troys, only $189.. I can see why theyre out of stock.

As to the issue of height, yes, theyre tall. Compared to Krebs and stock sights, yeah, theyre pretty up there. However, as they are back up sights, intended to be used if your optic is down for whatever reason and you dont wish to just shoot "through the tube," There arent many other options as your optic would block stock sights. Unless you picked up that ridiculously expensive mid-barrel comp and popped a burris on it.. But youre looking at about $400+ there...